Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #1

Low hanging cables

Wondering if anyone else had to do some neighborhood retrofitting.
There are about three long blocks between my house and getting out of our immediate neighborhood.

As I slowly pull out each time I find myself ping ponging side to side through the street trying to stay on the high side where the cable lines attach to the poles. Most lines sag across the street where the attach to the houses at around 12ft.

I know there are codes and minimum heights but clearly we are below them. What exacerbates the issue is tree branches that hang down (wait till spring/ summer when they are full of leaves and heavier)

Most RV owners around my block have TTs and aren't as high so it's likely not much of an issue for them.

Has anyone had success calling the cable companies? Township? Electric companies?

Any suggestions as to how to make these few blocks a bit less stressful to traverse?

I'm also concerned with smacking a skylight with a branch in the winter or just scratching up the sides! Ugh

I feel like I'll be spinning my wheels trying to get anyone to listen let alone fix it!

Thoughts or suggestions?
TheNextChapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:30 PM   #2

My not helpful answer is snag one and see how fast it gets fixed.

Now there are many Long Islands in the US so I'm not certain if you are dealing with a huge city or a small village. I'd start with my elected representative's staff. I've found starting with the lowest person I can find usually gives me the most honest and least helpful answer.

I'm wondering how moving trucks get into the neighborhood. They are generally as tall as any RV at 13.5'. I assume having clearance for them is a basic necessity and any building code would be based around that.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextChapter View Post
There are about three long blocks between my house and getting out of our immediate neighborhood.

As I slowly pull out each time I find myself ping ponging side to side through the street trying to stay on the high side where the cable lines attach to the poles. Most lines sag across the street where the attach to the houses at around 12ft.

I know there are codes and minimum heights but clearly we are below them. What exacerbates the issue is tree branches that hang down (wait till spring/ summer when they are full of leaves and heavier)

Most RV owners around my block have TTs and aren't as high so it's likely not much of an issue for them.

Has anyone had success calling the cable companies? Township? Electric companies?

Any suggestions as to how to make these few blocks a bit less stressful to traverse?

I'm also concerned with smacking a skylight with a branch in the winter or just scratching up the sides! Ugh

I feel like I'll be spinning my wheels trying to get anyone to listen let alone fix it!

Thoughts or suggestions?
Yes there are codes for height, our town in 14’ clearance for lines and trees. I needed one line moved up in our neighborhood and I called the cable company and they had somebody out the next day to take care of it. There was also a very low hanging tree across the road and I contacted the city and they took care of it….that one took about a month to get taken care of.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:34 PM   #4

I have the same problem. My driveway where I park my class C is off an alley.

As far as trees, which were a major scrape problem; I asked the property owners if I could trim them myself and they agreed and that problem was solved.

The wire problem I encounter is the phone cables. These sag VERY low. I have hung up on them on my TV antenna. Had to stop, climb atop, and unhook the cable from the antenna.

I spoke with a phone tech as he happened to be in the area one day, mentioned the problem, he said he would fix it. He must have"forgot", still the same.

I changed my route into the alley to the opposite direction where the back-swing of the vehicle doesnt encounter the low lying cables. Works for me, although probably doesnt help you. I am to the point where if I get hung up again, to just let the wire rip down.

I havent called the phone company, maybe you should give it a try.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #5

I called our city on this. Big electric cables that were at one time high enough now drape down low due to the poles shifting. Also some trees that force me into another lane. I utilized the ping pong method for a while and then found a new route with less ping pong. This is with a FW so a bit higher than a class C. The struggle is real with RV height. I figure they’ll get more interested when a big moving van(semi) knocks out power to a hundred houses.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:56 PM   #6

Thanks everyone!

At 13'4" it's certainly a challenge in some residential neighborhoods on Long island NY.

I didn't want to go there route of calling the town as I have nightmares about code enforcement following up and having to figure out how to get this rig off the driveway and into my backyard 🤔

I'm going to start with the cable company this week and see what I can do. I'll chat with some neighbors too.

The secondary route out of the neighborhood is 1 mile of nothing but low hanging trees and cables. I literally would not even attempt it!

I have lived here for 28 years and honestly have never seen a semi or large moving truck anywhere in this neighborhood. Amazon, Fed ex, UPS, U-Hauls, 26 ft box trucks, yes...

I guess these are first world problems!

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 02-04-2022, 07:12 PM   #7

So today was the day my wonderful Optimum service technician came to the house. I explained the situation with the cable heights around the corner as we stood next to my rig. He commented on how high it was! LOL

Long story short, each homeowner needs to call and log a service call to get them raised.

REALLY???? Who is going to open the door to stranger asking for them to spend 30 mins trying to log a service call for something they don't care about??

I talked to the supervisor, and he said they will take some pictures and see what they can do but bottom line is each house needs to call.

I told them the easier route for me would be to drive down the center of the street and just tear them all out then nobody has to call!

This is going to get fun! UGH!
2004 Jeep Liberty
Old 02-04-2022, 08:36 PM   #8
Site Team

If emergency vehicles use this street, the municipality should be able to force the owners of these wires to raise them to a safe clearance height as I’m sure some of their vehicles are as high as, or higher than your RV. Don’t treat this as a code enforcement, pose it as a safety issue, which it is.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:38 PM   #9

Quote:

Thoughts or suggestions?
First the good news, electrical lines have higher height requirements. The lower lines are utilities. I live on a dead end street and have tree and utility problems.

First the trees, I just asked my neighbors if I could trim them and the all said yes. So I do that every spring. Fortunately it’s not a big job.

Utility lines, There was a couple that sagged over the road lower than code. Which i zig zagged. I gave a a delivery vehicle drive a six pack one day and told him to take them out! He did, and when they were fixed, all at 14 foot! Best money spent and I heard him laughing down the street.!!!
From 2001 Daemon Escaper
From 1998 Daemon Intruder
From 1993 Daemon Hornet
From Tent (BEST RV EVER!)
Jmorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:18 PM   #10

Quote:
So today was the day my wonderful Optimum service technician came to the house. I explained the situation with the cable heights around the corner as we stood next to my rig. He commented on how high it was! LOL

Long story short, each homeowner needs to call and log a service call to get them raised.

REALLY???? Who is going to open the door to stranger asking for them to spend 30 mins trying to log a service call for something they don't care about??

I talked to the supervisor, and he said they will take some pictures and see what they can do but bottom line is each house needs to call.

I told them the easier route for me would be to drive down the center of the street and just tear them all out then nobody has to call!

This is going to get fun! UGH!
That’s ridiculous. I would check the city ordinance for the height regulation, then call them back and tell them the ordinance number. Know any freight truck drivers? Just have them come down your street, that will take care of it I had 3 freight companies picking up at my business and one of them would tell me once a week about the lines they took out that day…..they don’t care

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #11

If they neighbors or the utility companies are not willing to move them after you asked nicely, just go rent a U-Haul or similar and drive through them.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:50 PM   #12
Site Team

Our son, he had a low hanging Xfinity cable over his driveway that we couldn’t clear to park our TT in the rear of his house. He would have to climb on the roof and raise it until it was high enough for the TT to pass under. He periodically complained to Xfinity for years asking them to have the cable raised and finally, when there was some issue with his service, they replaced the entire cable from the pole to his house, which, of course in the process, made the cable higher over his driveway... problem solved.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #13

Quote:

Perhaps a form letter with instructions on how to notify the cable company or mail each homeowner postcard they can send the cable company? You are right I could go door to door for about five houses on either side of me but after that I really don't know those neighbors.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #14

Where I live in Virginia, I think the height requirements for wires is determined by the highway department and/or legislation. I would notify the highway department or local police when the requirements are not met and they will take of the problem. I jsed to work on these issues as an adjuster because the driver was responsible for damage if the height was legal and I would deny claims if it the height wasn't high enough to pass state regulations. Different road types have different height requirements with residentials having the lowest requirement.
Sorento
CRV
osbornk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:20 PM   #15

I moved into my current house about 8 years ago, it was my wife’s grandmothers house. We got online (cell) to get cable company to provide services. Mind you, the online had no way of saying the house has never had service. The tech was not happy, assuming a “flick of a switch” install. He ended up (and I should of stopped him) running the service from one side of my cul de sac to the other. Our town has used a graded to plow, the cab hit but didn’t snag it…. Looking back, I kinda wish it did.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:21 PM   #16

Home Depot or Lowe’s delivery truck delivering small amount of 2x4 lumber works every time in my neighborhood…LOL
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:35 PM   #17
Site Team

Me and a few neighbors do some trimming on my route out of my neighborhood several times a year. UPS trucks and moving vans help also.
We can get the town to get a tree Svc occasionally.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:55 AM   #18

Make a measuring stick from a few 2x2x 10ft equal to your rig height, (marker/ duct tape, a few screws?) then you can take around neighborhood and check/ verify wires and tree limbs of concern?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:51 PM   #19

Welp... I would love to say I did a midnight run and left a destructive wake of tangled wires behind :-) Totally not the case!

Ran out for some coffee this morning and as I turned down the street.....there they were!

Turns out the anonymous call to the town about utility poles being in a dangerous condition of disrepair yielded some action. They are replacing 4 of the 5 poles! LMAO!

Bought the boys a box of hot chocolate and they will see what they can do to be sure the lines get a little more height when they switch over to the newly installed poles!

Alls well the ends well!

2004 Jeep Liberty