Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #1

M2 Front Sway Bar Bushing Failure

I was on the Forest River Dynamax Forum, and there is a 12 page discussion about the M2-106 Front Sway Bar's upper bushing failing. It seems like Freightliner has know about this since at least 2010 when they came out with a Service Bulletin #32-47 (Heavy Duty Front Sway Bar Installation) to correct the problem, but it seems that they oped to use up all the old parts before changing over on new builds. I crawled under the rig an hour ago, to check mine. They seem ok, but now that I know of this possible problem, I'll keep a closer eye on them.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #2

This issue came up in a thread a few weeks ago. I found my 2018 to be faulty with only 2200 miles (I did not forget any digits there). Seams dangerous to me.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...ert-49358.html
Old 08-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
Sam

Freightliner replaced my sway bar and bushings last year under warrentee. The new sway bar is noticeably more stout than the original. Bushings are completely different.

On my way home, 80 mile drive, I could notice a distinct improvement. No or very little road sway. Very pleased.
Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #4

Seneca M2 Sway bar vertical link bushings

This thread has been very helpful as I too have replaced my sway bar vertical link bushings connecting to the frame five times. In each case the bushings are gone in less than 2000 miles. I called my local Freightliner dealer (San Diego, CA) to find TSB-32-47 costs $2,577.73 to replace the existing sway bar with a new larger one attaching hardware and new bushings. I contacted and suggest anyone with a M2 chassis to contact the DOT through safercar.gov filing a complaint for excessive roll and vehicle steering. Freightliner issued this TSB two years before Jayco started using this chassis knowing the sway bar was inadequate for our application. The purpose of all of us filing complaints is for the DOT to force Freightliner to issue a recall to repair the poor design on their dime not ours.
jsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

I brought my Seneca in to local Ft. Lauderdale Freightliner dealer for its first service yesterday. I had a printed copy of TSB 32-47 and asked that it be done. I'll post what happens.

I also asked about the low fuel light coming on with 30 gallons remaining in tank. Service writer said there is a new sending unit but it was not covered by warranty. I decided I can live with the gauge since I rely on my scan gauge more than the fuel gauge.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
This issue came up in a thread a few weeks ago. I found my 2018 to be faulty with only 2200 miles (I did not forget any digits there). Seams dangerous to me.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ert-49358.html
Just checked mine and they look fine and I'm approaching 10k miles. I'm going to try to get them replaced anyway. Got another long trip planned for Feb.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I also asked about the low fuel light coming on with 30 gallons remaining in tank. Service writer said there is a new sending unit but it was not covered by warranty. I decided I can live with the gauge since I rely on my scan gauge more than the fuel gauge.
I had the senders replaced under warranty and my coach is a 2016.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
I had the senders replaced under warranty and my coach is a 2016.
Did the new senders make it better?
Old 11-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Did the new senders make it better?

Don't think so (posted my impressions on another thread). Gauge is still way too conservative, so like some folks here, I'll rely on the Scan Gauge trip functions to monitor correct fuel status. Given the ubiquitous presence of M2's on the road, I guess most of their professional drivers don't care about gauge accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2017, 05:16 AM   #10

My sway bar upper bushings failed at 25,000 miles ( on a 2014). I took it to Ocala Freight Liner and was told that Freight liner would not replace the assembly. I asked about the service bulletin but got no where. They told me that if I chose to upgrade to the new version it would cost me over $2,000.00 to do so. It does not seem right that Freighliner knew about this issue and kept installing faulty parts. I was looking for contact information for Freightliner but have had no success so far.
Ocala Freightliner did charge me $400.00 to replace the bushings, I am not very happy.
FDowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #11

Just spoke to my service writer and they are waiting on parts for the "update". I hope that means they are doing all that's in the TSB.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDowe View Post
My sway bar upper bushings failed at 25,000 miles ( on a 2014). I took it to Ocala Freight Liner and was told that Freight liner would not replace the assembly. I asked about the service bulletin but got no where. They told me that if I chose to upgrade to the new version it would cost me over $2,000.00 to do so. It does not seem right that Freighliner knew about this issue and kept installing faulty parts. I was looking for contact information for Freightliner but have had no success so far.
Ocala Freightliner did charge me $400.00 to replace the bushings, I am not very happy.
I would go to a different Freightliner dealer because I got the TB done under warranty repair.

Ohioacamp
Seneca 37HJ
ohiocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiocamp View Post
I would go to a different Freightliner dealer because I got the TB done under warranty repair.

Ohioacamp
Seneca 37HJ
Were you still within the 2-year factory chassis warranty when you had yours repaired?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:43 AM   #14

Where to find and print TSB

Mark,
Where do you find these service bulletins to print? Going in for my first oil change and transmission upgrade (they are charging $250 for that) on Monday.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Mark,
Where do you find these service bulletins to print? Going in for my first oil change and transmission upgrade (they are charging $250 for that) on Monday.
A while back some of the guys on here posted the link. Sorry I don't remember who it was but here is the link:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...0&d=1505678907

Mine is in for the first service and I have no idea yet what that will cost. The transmission I got lucky with. I fully expected to pay about $250-$300 and would have been happy to pay it for the improvement.

As for the TSBs, this forum is my best resource. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #16

Service Bulletin Sway Bar-Rubber Bushings (1).pdf
Old 11-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Mine is in for the first service and I have no idea yet what that will cost.
My OTD expenses for the maintenance visit to the shop last week:

R&R primary fuel filter - $49.30
R&R secondary fuel filter - $62.19
Chassis lube/inspection - $57.50
R&R fuel tank sensor/sender - $23.66
Allison TCM flash performance schedule - $198.05
TSB 32-47 sway bar clevis style bushings retrofit - $0

Wish I had gotten a free pass on the Allison like some of you.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #18

Here is the 3rd page which spells out specific warranty information and provides the codes needed for the claim.

Scheduled to get this done tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #19

Failed again

I have noticed that I have been feeling a little like Mr. T driving his van in A-Team with the wheel lately. Sure enough after only another 2000 miles mine failed again when I looked today. I am in for like change and transmission reprogramming tomorrow so I am going to show them the SB and get on them for the upgrade sway bar.

The things we spend money on to make this truck with an msrp of nearly a quarter million dollars the way it should be made is getting expensive.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #20

I just picked up my unit from Freightliner. They repaired an oil leak, upgraded my sway bar links, performed a service and reprogrammed my BCM to recognize the smart switch I put in for the fog lights. To reprogram the computer it was 255.00, the oil leak was warranty and so were the links. As for an answer to your question Robbbyr, at first the service girl said it would not be covered by warranty but then the foreman checked the in service date and said it would be covered under the base warranty which I have till next April the 23rd. So hopefully you have a little time left on your warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
link.jpg  
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote