Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2020, 04:08 AM   #1

Main Entry Door Rattles

Locking for assistance in figuring out why the main entry door rattles while driving. I have a 2019 SENECA, RB. It started a few days ago and continues to get worse. Any advice on how to stop the rattling is greatly appreciated.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #2

Check the latch on the door frame. My Greyhawk was rattelling and one screw on the plate on the door frame was loose.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

On my Greyhawk, it was the kick panel in the bottom of the screen door. It was SUPER bad rattling. A run of black Gorilla tape around the panel attaching it firmly to the frame (virtually invisible unless you're actually looking for it) and voila, all fixed. Even DW noticed the difference immediately.

No other rattles, but I do have to keep an eye on the screws in the lockset. They have a tendency to back out. Probably should put some locktite on them. My son has gotten pretty good at notifying me when they're loose (he's 5, so that is right about eye level for him).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #4

if it is the screen door the most common fix is adding a piece of foam so it will stop rattling against the entrance door. but you must find which area needs it. best way is someone is driving and the other pushes against the screen door in different areas to see if it stops rattling? then add a piece of foam behind that area.
JaycoChix89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoChix89 View Post
if it is the screen door the most common fix is adding a piece of foam so it will stop rattling against the entrance door. but you must find which area needs it. best way is someone is driving and the other pushes against the screen door in different areas to see if it stops rattling? then add a piece of foam behind that area.
That's a really good point, and I like the diagnosis procedure.

In my case, the door itself sits pretty firmly in the frame, so that wasn't an issue, (and thankfully it's easy to adjust if it IS an issue).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:42 AM   #6

On my Seneca there are a couple of things. The hinge screws back out twice a year and have to be tightened, I have use loctite but it still occurs so now just a routine maintenance item.
I installed additional weather seal foam at the top of the screen door to reduce some of the vibration however in some conditions the top of the door can rattle pretty significantly. I now close a micro fiber towel in the door gap which minimizes the rattle. I have been thinking about installing a magnet latch but have not had the time to do it.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #7
MD3

Our door would move enough to see daylight around it. Jayco replaced the entire door under warranty.
We also had a rattle that ended up being the bottom solid portion of the screen door. I could see where Jayco had put silicon on about 1/8 of the edge of it. I ran a bead of silicon around the entire edge of the solid panel and it stopped the rattle. I had put painters tape on it first to make sure that is what was causing the rattle.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

These doors really flex, many are made out of aluminum. I remember reading a fix for a loose door is to give it a little bend, to make it have better contact. What the article said was to put a 2x4 at the latch location, then lean in on the top and bottom of the door, to give it a bit of a inward curve.

This way, the top and bottom of the door make contact before the latch does, and when the latch closes, you have a tight, non-vibrating seal at the top and bottom. I did that on my rig, and it stopped the noise.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #9

Thank you everyone, you have given me a lot to go and work with.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #10

Amazing thread... Was driving into a strong north wind today and I thought the door was going to come off it was rattling so bad...

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #11

Just called Jayco customer service to see if they have a fix for the entry door rattle after being told to call them back a couple of months ago. Spoke with a gentleman by the name of Wayne who is so dishonest that I wonder why he even works for Jayco. He said that there are no problems with a rattling door on the newer Senecas. What a lie, they have known about this for a long time and so if you call for help with this do not talk with Wayne!
Utrzrdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:05 AM   #12

Just called Jayco back and spoke with another individual that said they for sure have a problem and that they have a fix for it. Two magnets and away you go. Only problem is getting the coach to a dealer to do the fix in a timely matter, but at least they recognize the problem and are getting it corrected.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrzrdog View Post
Just called Jayco back and spoke with another individual that said they for sure have a problem and that they have a fix for it. Two magnets and away you go. Only problem is getting the coach to a dealer to do the fix in a timely matter, but at least they recognize the problem and are getting it corrected.
That's good they are at least listening a little. Picked up a new 2022 last week and the entry door rattles likes crazy. Along with all the paint overspray everywhere, loose screws, fuel door missing the latch, water heater that does not seem to work and a list of other items I am regretting not keeping my 06 on the Kodiak Chassis.
aqharoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 05:06 PM   #14

I have had mine since November and other than a few minor things we have loved it. We have put over 8000 miles on it since November with not one major problem. One of the things I hated the most was the water heater that the coach came with and so I had it changed out for the Truma and this is one of the best upgrades I have made. Yes, it was pricey, but worth every penny!! The door rattle only gets going when we are 65 MPH or above so we have learned to deal with it but now with the fix, we will be really happy campers.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:31 PM   #15

Below is the fix that they have came up with and they are saying that it works extremely well. Not sure that I am thrilled with the looks but it is better than having to hope for matching paint and lines if they put in a new door.

22-064_SRP Entrance Door Magnet Instructions.pdf
Old 09-01-2022, 09:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Below is the fix that they have came up with and they are saying that it works extremely well. Not sure that I am thrilled with the looks but it is better than having to hope for matching paint and lines if they put in a new door.

Attachment 83853
I am curious to know how hard is it to open the door with the "Fix in place"

has anyone gotten one?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 01:25 PM   #17

Quote:

Attachment 83853
I'm not following how that fix addresses the problem. Is that magnet attachment on the hinge side? Mine rattles enough on the top side opposite the hinge that when it flexes out you can see daylight in the gap at certain speeds and with a cross wind from the drivers side it is worse. Would like to address that with this fix but not sure what it is doing.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote