Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2023, 10:16 AM   #1

Master bedroom slide trouble. Rotted floor?

Master bedroom slide has always rubbed the wall slightly when it whet in or out. Did it since the day I bought it used 6 years ago but has recently got alot worse where it had so much resistance it was stopping. Removed bed to get a closer look and found that the left roller is pulled away compared to the other and what looks like rotted wood. Could this be from the badly torn slide seal that I put off replacing? Can anyone tell me the easiest way to fix this? Any help or advice is appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
36089.jpg   36091.jpg   36092.jpg  
nhubbell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:52 PM   #2

This could be caused by a rotten slide floor which can be caused by the outside of the slide not being sealed properly. The molding that finishes the outside perimeter of the slide is commonly called the “Picture Frame Molding” which is an “L” shape. If the edge that goes against the slide wall is not sealed properly, which it often cracks, this lets water on and being it is L shaped, directs the water right into the edge of the slide bottom wood panel and if left undetected, can lead to rot. Here is a good video that covers this.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:46 PM   #3

Watch the video Brian has posted. Those external pieces must be resealed "often". I was advised NOT to use silicone seal since it is much harder to remove to reseal it.
My shop was recommended by Jayco, and they advised me to reseal the sides as often as the roof.
I also bought my Seneca HJ used and the previous owner had sealed all the sides with silicone seal which had let go during normal use. I now have 2 new bedroom slide floors and after this VERY expensive repair, I have learned to listen to my shop techs advice.
Wireless Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:20 AM   #4

Got to love this forum.

After watching the video, I went and check all three slides. The two Schwintek slides have openings on the bottom around the "picture frame". Interestingly, the main slide is still sealed.

When it warms up a little I will be scraping out old caulk and re-sealing.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:17 AM   #5

I did the same thing as Mountianman6513 did in his video.
You have to love all the information you can gain from these forums and youtube.

I posted a video of my repairs on our youtube channel:

www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches/videos
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
Old 04-01-2023, 11:35 AM   #6

It’s a good idea to check the picture frame sealant with the slide open and then closed. On my large drivers side slide, the sealant was cracked but with the slide closed with pressure on the seal, it flexed the molding enough to make the sealant look great but when opened, it relaxed and opened enough that water could get in.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
It’s a good idea to check the picture frame sealant with the slide open and then closed. On my large drivers side slide, the sealant was cracked but with the slide closed with pressure on the seal, it flexed the molding enough to make the sealant look great but when opened, it relaxed and opened enough that water could get in.
Good call, I will open the main slide and double check that.

Thanks