Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2023, 02:46 PM   #1

Mattress

The mattress in my 2022 Seneca is very soft memory foam. 72” x80”. It’s killing my back.
Anyone have any recommendations on a firmer mattress?
It folds for travel so does it have to be a foam mattress or would a conventional mattress work?
Rusty T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:46 PM   #2

Man this one is tough. I’ve been down this road and I would not advise asking for opinions on mattresses unless you can get more information on what type of mattresses those people like, sleep position, body size, etc. Without that information you’re really not gaining anything. You could end up buying multiple mattress you don’t like which gets expensive.

My advice is to go to a mattress store and plan on spending a lot of time there testing mattresses. If you can go to a sleep number store even better because there you can get an idea of what your sleep number is. That is valuable info when talking to others about a mattress.

If you order a mattress online check out their return policy first so you are not stuck with another mattress you don’t like.

Finally yeah I believe you do need a foam mattress depending on what degree it needs to fold. Hybrid or innerspring mattresses can bend some because they can be used on adjustable bases but can’t bend much.

Best of luck in your search.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty T View Post
The mattress in my 2022 Seneca is very soft memory foam. 72” x80”. It’s killing my back.
Anyone have any recommendations on a firmer mattress?
It folds for travel so does it have to be a foam mattress or would a conventional mattress work?
Wow, we felt like our 2022 was hard as a rock! It was not foam, it was some cheap thing. Sounds like they swapped out mattresses along the line somewhere. We ended up ordering a mattress from Mattress Insider after the recommendation of several on here and Facebook. Fit perfect and had the rounded corners. We still put another topper on that as we prefer super soft.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:19 PM   #4

We went with Zinus mattress for our previous Fifth Wheel, and immediately replaced the King mat in our Class A with a Sinus mattress...never slept better - got the firm mattress.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post
We went with Zinus mattress for our previous Fifth Wheel, and immediately replaced the King mat in our Class A with a Sinus mattress...never slept better - got the firm mattress.
I second the Zinus mattress on Amazon is firm. I bought one and it was about as soft as concrete. I’m sure it is a good mattress just wasn’t a good fit for us.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:47 PM   #6

Our 2015 FK has the mattress sliding under the cabinets/closet on the opposite side of the bedroom, that limits the height to 8-inches from the base of the platform.

There are lots of mattresses that will not fit (slide under the cabinets with blankets, bedspread etc...) so we found that a Tempurpedic mattress would. We had a residential King mattress resized by an upholsterer to fit the exact measurement's of our Seneca.

Now years later, our Seneca's bed is better than the 2year old one in the house.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:40 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help. I found out that Mattress Insider makes an RV mattress with a hinge especially for this type application. I’m gonna give them a try. We’ll see.
Rusty T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:29 PM   #8

Rusty, does your mattress need to hinge to put the slide in? Or are you just wanting it to hinge for ease of lifting to access storage area? Reason I ask is we had the hinged mattress on our fifth wheel and were always fighting the hinged piece back into place. The new mattress we purchased for our Seneca has the rounded edges and is heavier than the original, but i can still get the storage lid open without a problem.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote