Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

Mods on my 2015 Seneca

I bought a 2015 Seneca 37TS used and the original owner made a couple modifications I’m trying to figure out.
1. See 1st pic. There’s a knob that looks like a volume knob mounted on lower side of dash left of steering wheel. The wires run out thru the steering column hole into the engine compartment but I can’t follow them without cutting a lot of zip ties.
Maybe the former owner is on here and can explain this.

2. There’s a remote control, pic 2, attached to drivers door.
Under the hood, I found the piece it communicates with. This ihas a cable like a lawn mower throttle cable the runs down to the front center of the fan on the engine.
Any ideas what this might be doing?
Attached Thumbnails
FBBCF7D8-CAA9-47DE-80B6-1BE33D5694F6.jpg   1F4AF8A1-FA90-4407-A0A1-120ED1FD551D.jpg   5A4484B5-AA87-4065-A565-91FDDF6A7819.jpg  
GJegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #2

The third pic up by the fan looks like a solenoid activated air valve and a keyless remote to activate it. Are the 2 lines that go to the lower part look like air lines? And can you trace where they go? Just a guess, possibly a rear air dump??? The dial, I have no idea and hard to say other than tracing the wires. You could use a wire tracer to keep from cutting things open.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #3

The dial under the dash could be a high idle switch or a shift on the fly tuner switch to change between tunes (at least these are how a lot of diesel truck owners have theirs set up)

To check the high idle, have motor running with parking brake engaged. Turn dial to see if idle speed increases.

If a tuner SOTF, there should be distinct clicks as you turn the dial. First click is lowest power setting, last click is hot rod mode. (I’m doubting if your MH has a tuner)

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
The third pic up by the fan looks like a solenoid activated air valve and a keyless remote to activate it. Are the 2 lines that go to the lower part look like air lines? And can you trace where they go? Just a guess, possibly a rear air dump??? The dial, I have no idea and hard to say other than tracing the wires. You could use a wire tracer to keep from cutting things open.
It’s an air line that attaches to the front of the fan
Attached Thumbnails
6AD0582E-48C1-4C96-8782-F2BC37D42257.jpg  
Old 03-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #5

Mods on my 2015 Seneca

The remote may be engaging the fan to keep the engine temps down when towing up steep grades?

I remember a mod for the Powerstroke 6.0 that did something similar to turn the fan on before the computer controlled 240F.

So if you were about to go up a long steep grade while towing, you could flip the switch to get the fan cooling down the engine before it got too hot.

Just a guess.. [emoji3]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Why don't I see this third picture. I only see thr 2 the op is talking about?
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #7

The knob controls this.
https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/1290307/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoZPiwKGZ4QIVIx-tBh2NigXbEAQYASABEgI5bPD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
06A6B57A-5F98-46AE-9B49-753AF881FFA6.jpg  
Old 03-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
The dial under the dash could be a high idle switch
Freightliners have a high idle built in. You turn the cruise control switch to the on position and with the engine running you bump the set/accel switch to increase the idle speed, I think you have 3 different rpm increases

The remote setup I would guess since it’s connected to the fan that it is a manual lockup for the fan
Old 03-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #9

The knob is part of the Styker power module. It increases HP and torque.
I just might get a little better mileage now that I know it isn’t a volume knob and don’t leave it turned up full blast all the time lol
Old 03-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #10

Now that I think about it, a remoter valve installed into the air line running to the fan when activated would cut the air supply to the fan, unlocking it.....I can’t think of a reason you would want to do this unless the PO didn’t like the fan noise when it locks up but it’s locking for a reason, to help cool down the motor...

Old 03-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJegstrup View Post
The knob is part of the Styker power module. It increases HP and torque.
I just might get a little better mileage now that I know it isn’t a volume knob and don’t leave it turned up full blast all the time lol

Are you sure its a tuner knob? Have you confirmed by finding the module it controls? Do the wires from the knob tie into the heavier gauge red/blue/white/brown wires also showing in the picture? These are the usual location and colors of the wires for a brake controller and could be an adjustment knob for the brake gain. I would be tracing those wires down for sure to fund out because I do not know if an adjustable tuner being made for these motors...they are the the same 6.7 that are in Ram trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
71CjViMmcfL._SL1500_.jpg  

Old 03-23-2019, 08:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Now that I think about it, a remoter valve installed into the air line running to the fan when activated would cut the air supply to the fan, unlocking it.....I can’t think of a reason you would want to do this unless the PO didn’t like the fan noise when it locks up but it’s locking for a reason, to help cool down the motor...
What I know about a Diesel engine could fit in a thimble (yea, I know I need to know more if I’m going to drive one), so I don’t know what this is doing
Attached Thumbnails
59D1FA2C-F84B-4E46-900F-B2AE5501BD73.jpg  
Old 03-24-2019, 06:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJegstrup View Post
What I know about a Diesel engine could fit in a thimble (yea, I know I need to know more if I’m going to drive one), so I don’t know what this is doing
Google Horton ht 650.

It is a pneumatic fan clutch, completely free spinning unless the engine needs cooling and it will then engage. It looks like the unit removes any clutch resistance when the engine is not calling for additional cooling. Appears that the previous owner wanted to eliminate noise and power loss from the fan resistance when not needed.

The Horton web site should be able to help you.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #14

I traced the wire back to the Stryker module. Also, found a YouTube video where they showed the knob as part of the kit