Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2023, 07:46 AM   #1

Motorized step not working on our 37K

Good morning all

First of all, thanks to everyone that helped with my recirculating issue. We have it fixed and installed an air gap also.

But now, my step goes in and out every time the door is opened and closed. The RV repair shop says it is a circuit board that’s bad. The thing is, we are leaving on a trip very soon so we don’t have time to wait for it to come in.

I have looked and can’t find a fuse in the panel box in the coach. I have turned off all of the master switches and the step keeps going in and out. Does anyone know where the fuse is for the steps in the chassis? I’m looking for a way to remove power from the step when we are parked for an extended period of time.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Larry Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:03 AM   #2

On our 2021 37L there is a switch by the steps that we can turn off to keep it from retracting while we are camping unless you start the rig. Ours also has the sensor on the edge of the screen door towards the bottom. Wonder if you may just need a new sensor.
ponzchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:40 AM   #3

Thanks for the response.

I forgot to include that turning that on or off had no effect on the step. Just came in from looking at it again. I found the electrical connection where it goes into the motor that moves the step. If I open the door and get the step out and unplug the motor it will stay out.

Just going to have to put something on the steering wheel to remind me to hook it back up before we leave the campground.

Thanks again
Old 01-25-2023, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pruitt View Post
Just going to have to put something on the steering wheel to remind me to hook it back up before we leave the campground.

Thanks again
Just besure the door is open when you plug it back in , or it will retract on your hand...
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:53 AM   #5

Thanks Grumpy

I didn’t even give that a thought
Me and my hands thank you lol
Old 01-25-2023, 12:07 PM   #6

If you have the Kwikee brand of steps, I previously submitted an article that has a lot of information in it. Go to the following link and download some of the attachments which include the full service manual for the steps.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ems-98780.html

According to the wiring diagram there appears to be an inline fuse with the control switch that keeps the steps extended. I would pull the switch and look in that area. No idea where Jayco decided to hide it.

Before you just shotgun the repair by replacing the circuit board, which may not even be your problem, I would measure the voltage at the switch and at the board connector that comes from that switch. Not hard to do and may save you the expense of the board.

Sure the board could be the problem but it could also be the switch or fuse or a poor wire contact. The board is looking for a voltage input that tells it to keep the steps extended. If that is missing, your steps would always go in and out like yours are. Easy for someone to say over the phone that the board is the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:34 PM   #7

Here is the latest wiring diagram I have. The steps are wired directly to a circuit breaker and depending on the year of your coach, can be mounted in the battery compartment or under a carpeted box located in the compartment just aft of the battery compartment. If you breakers are in the battery compartment, they will most likely not be labeled so you would have to test.
Attached Thumbnails
EE861C2D-786F-4E58-BFD3-53038F9117FA.jpg   9B1EBC70-08F1-4B8F-969D-7CDC55F6D9B1.jpg   B09623D3-7AAF-456A-949D-2A1A52619EB3.jpeg   8D95403A-8F0E-4130-AB5A-D9EF8350D61E.jpeg   38C073F1-843A-42F4-BFD4-9E9F9B23AF57.jpeg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:50 AM   #8

Thanks to everyone

The coach is still under warranty, but I can’t get in to get it looked at until April. I’m going to go that route. On our trip, we will be parked for several days or even a week in some instances. Thanks for all of the technical info with this issue and I will take it with me when I go to my appt. I know the techs just love it when you show up with internet research. Lol

Thanks again