Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #1

Moving chassis batteries

I moved my chassis batteries today and was shocked by how many nuts were only hand tight. Whether it was from sliding the tray in and out or it was poorly installed, doesn't matter, they were loose and loose electrical wiring is never good.
I'm still culling out silly wire lengths and now that all my batteries are in a fixed location I shouldn't have any more of these issues.
Attached Thumbnails
20220314_135905.jpg  
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:54 AM   #2

Where did you relocate them to and why?
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Where did you relocate them to and why?
A couple of reasons: the terminals on the chassis batteries were constantly loosened by sliding the tray in and out, wires were getting pinched and they were easy to move.

The lithium batteries I have are just a hair larger than the cutouts in the tray (SOK 204). And I wanted the batteries as close as possible to my inverter so my cable runs were as short as possible.

I have more space with a slide out tray for my stuff.

Everything is located one compartment back.
2019 F-150
Old 03-16-2022, 11:25 AM   #4

I should have guessed that you were installing lithium batteries. We have the m2 chassis so no need to move the chassis batteries but I have been trying to work out a location that can be easily insulated and heated for a future upgrade in batteries. The next bay back would be the logical location then i just have to move the items in that bay up to the current battery bay.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:04 PM   #5

Though I'm from Washington, I don't see myself spending cold winters anywhere except by accident. That said, I'm putting heating panels between the layers of batteries if the occasion ever arises. The compartment they are in now didn't get below 52⁰ F (11⁰ C) this winter.
2019 F-150
Old 03-16-2022, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
I should have guessed that you were installing lithium batteries. We have the m2 chassis so no need to move the chassis batteries but I have been trying to work out a location that can be easily insulated and heated for a future upgrade in batteries. The next bay back would be the logical location then i just have to move the items in that bay up to the current battery bay.
Working on my new house batteries as we speak! Three Renogy 200Ah LiFePO4 with Bluetooth, I installed mine in the pass-thru area in the first compartment aft of the original house battery compartment. Fabricated a base for them out of an aluminum plate with two holding tank heaters on the bottom of the aluminum plate. The heaters will be controlled by a programmable thermostat while keeping the pad's built-in thermostat as a fail-safe. Mounted this tray on a pad of rubber to (hopefully) reduce the road shocks transferring to the batteries.

Working on my wiring now, incorporating a Victron Lynx "Power In" box as my master bus, each battery is fused in the Power In device. Batteries have Anderson SB-350 quick disconnect fitting so I can isolate a battery if I need to. Also installing a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor.

Already have 600 watts of solar (more to come!) and a Victron MPPT Controller. Also have a new lithium-compatible Battery Isolation Manager going in as I rework the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
20220315_142932.jpg   Lynx Power In.jpg   20220218_142656.jpg   20220315_130015.jpg   20220215_174408.jpg  

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Working on my new house batteries as we speak! Three Renogy 200Ah LiFePO4 with Bluetooth, I installed mine in the pass-thru area in the first compartment aft of the original house battery compartment. Fabricated a base for them out of an aluminum plate with two holding tank heaters on the bottom of the aluminum plate. The heaters will be controlled by a programmable thermostat while keeping the pad's built-in thermostat as a fail-safe. Mounted this tray on a pad of rubber to (hopefully) reduce the road shocks transferring to the batteries.

Working on my wiring now, incorporating a Victron Lynx "Power In" box as my master bus, each battery is fused in the Power In device. Batteries have Anderson SB-350 quick disconnect fitting so I can isolate a battery if I need to. Also installing a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor.

Already have 600 watts of solar (more to come!) and a Victron MPPT Controller. Also have a new lithium-compatible Battery Isolation Manager going in as I rework the wiring.
I'm using tank heaters also. They're simple to use, simple to wire, and come in many sizes.
I've been using Anderson for dc lines for years and find nothing wrong with them.
2019 F-150
Old 03-17-2022, 05:26 AM   #8

With using 3 200 ah batteries do you eliminate any issue using the engine alternator? I understand a new BIM is required at a minimum Are you changing your converter or upgrading to an inverter charger?
Old 03-17-2022, 05:55 AM   #9

Quote:
With using 3 200 ah batteries do you eliminate any issue using the engine alternator? I understand a new BIM is required at a minimum Are you changing your converter or upgrading to an inverter charger?
I have a new lithium compatible BIM from Precision Circuits that I will be installing today to prevent the alternator from overworking when the batteries are in a low state of charge. Supposedly it also will protect the conventional lead/acid chassis batteries from being overcharged from the house system.

As far as the converter I'm leaving it alone for now, the new lithium compatible replacement section from Progressive Dynamics is single stage only. Supposedly they are developing a lithium multi-stage converter replacement and I'll look at that when it's available. Will just force existing converter into boost mode for now as needed, as well as allowing the solar to help the charging.

And some references state not charging the batteries to 100% all the time extends their lifespan. With my Victron battery monitor, coupled with the batteries' built-in Blutooth BMS, I'll have a means to watch how things trend. I also have a Victron Blue Smart charger that I can tie in to supplement charging if needed.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:28 AM   #10

I found it easy to replace and another way to charge if all goes wrong. Consecutive cloudy, snowy days and other things.

Just be sure both sides of the power are disconnected.
Attached Thumbnails
20220314_090659.jpg  
2019 F-150
Old 03-17-2022, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semix-Hex View Post
I found it easy to replace and another way to charge if all goes wrong. Consecutive cloudy, snowy days and other things.

Just be sure both sides of the power are disconnected.
That's what I have to swap today. Only bad thing is that the BIM was replaced a year ago when the original one failed. If I had only known.....!