Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2023, 12:15 PM   #1

Mpg readings for s2rv

Is there any way to get a real time/running average of mpg on the s2rv chassis? I would like something similar to what most cars offer (and my previous Ford f53 chassis). I realize the most accurate is always how much fuel vs miles run, but just want something close, which appears to be how you can get the scangauge d to show/record it.

I would also like to see remaining miles for what's in the tank.
Boiler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 02:19 PM   #2

The Bluefire monitor can show these along with many other gauges if you want. You can build a custom dash of whatever you want and display of a phone or tablet. The module plugs into the J1939 data port and reads info straight from the ECU. Here is a pic of my dash, I have the 2 gauges you are asking about in the upper corners. If you do a search for Bluefire, there are several threads on it.
Attached Thumbnails
M77hvCh-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:45 PM   #3

Thanks, looks to be exactly what I wanted (and more).
Old 12-16-2023, 01:19 PM   #4

Is the mpg calculation on the blue fire manual for the service chassis? Meaning it only does the calculation when you enter how many gallons you put in the tank vs how many have been driven (in the app). I got mine but it wasn't reading real time (or near real time) mpg...maybe I used the wrong widget for display? I would be bummed if the computer doesn't calculate it so I could get some near real time data as I am looking to maximize my speed vs mpg.

Any recommendations on which dashboard to download and use or does everyone build their own?
Old 12-26-2023, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler01 View Post
Is the mpg calculation on the blue fire manual for the service chassis? Meaning it only does the calculation when you enter how many gallons you put in the tank vs how many have been driven (in the app). I got mine but it wasn't reading real time (or near real time) mpg...maybe I used the wrong widget for display? I would be bummed if the computer doesn't calculate it so I could get some near real time data as I am looking to maximize my speed vs mpg.

Any recommendations on which dashboard to download and use or does everyone build their own?
That id the one reason I would consider purchasing this as it would be nice to know aproximatey how many miles till empty
Dom101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 06:43 PM   #6

After some research it looks like it might do a proper mileage per calling calculation, but unfortunately I have yet to get it to work properly. I did receive a message to turn off a few widgets if it isn't working properly but I have not had time to play with it/test. For now, I'm calculating mileage per fill up the old fashioned way and will have to wait for near real time.
Old 12-26-2023, 06:47 PM   #7

Thanks for the quick reply. Pls let me know when you find out, as I would definitley get one if that function works
Old 12-26-2023, 06:58 PM   #8

I will, but it might be mid or late January before I spend time on it, potentially longer for a true test. Hoping another member can attest to this in the meantime.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:05 PM   #9

You can keep the distance to empty and the average in the main settings page under tank/fuel settings. Once you have your settings, then you add the appropriate gauge to show what you want. You must also use fuel fill up feature that once you fill up, you hit it to set as full. There is a gauge setup for instant mileage but itís pretty useless as it fluctuates so much. I have distance to empty, average fuel economy and fuel fillup 3 of these on my current dash. I have most of my gauges to show a needle gauge and as a percentage.
Attached Thumbnails
M77hvCh-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg  

Old 12-26-2023, 07:09 PM   #10

Thanks Rusty.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:26 AM   #11

We also use the bluefire and recommend it.

We just drove 540 miles to DFW and back. We averaged 9.5 MPG towing the GMC 1500. That is the BEST I have ever had. Lifetime is 8.6 MPG.
Cruise was set at 62 MPH.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeach View Post
We also use the bluefire and recommend it.

We just drove 540 miles to DFW and back. We averaged 9.5 MPG towing the GMC 1500. That is the BEST I have ever had. Lifetime is 8.6 MPG.
Cruise was set at 62 MPH.
Speed is key. I usually set mine at 63. Takes a while to get used to, but the difference in MPG is significant between 63 and 68 or 70 MPH.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 11:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
You can keep the distance to empty and the average in the main settings page under tank/fuel settings. Once you have your settings, then you add the appropriate gauge to show what you want. You must also use fuel fill up feature that once you fill up, you hit it to set as full. There is a gauge setup for instant mileage but itís pretty useless as it fluctuates so much. I have distance to empty, average fuel economy and fuel fillup 3 of these on my current dash. I have most of my gauges to show a needle gauge and as a percentage.
Mine has the dual tanks and sometimes it is not convient to fill both tanks. Is there a setting when you can just adjust to 3/4 tank ir 1/2?
Old 12-27-2023, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom101 View Post
Mine has the dual tanks and sometimes it is not convient to fill both tanks. Is there a setting when you can just adjust to 3/4 tank ir 1/2?
I have not seen anywhere to set up a way to enter gallons added, it would be a nice feature. Mark, te owner of Bluefire is always open to suggestions and it might be something he could add into the app, maybe shoot him an email about it.

Old 12-27-2023, 01:34 PM   #15

Thanks for the speed figures. I just ran about 1100 miles and manually calculated (not entirely accurate, but close) got about 9.2 mpg towing a jlu with cruise at 68-70 and about an hour of heavy traffic (stopped most of it). I was trying to watch the tach and kept it at/under 2k when cruising (assuming wind direction changes to allow a few mph difference). I am happy with 9+, but would work the throttle down some to get 10+ (if possible).