Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2021, 08:27 PM   #1

Mud flap issue...again.

Traveling from Austin Texas to The central coast of California. Stopped in New Mexico for the night and did a walk around inspection. The mud flap in front of the duels came loose and melted. No tire damage. I just removed it altogether. The H bracket is broke. Is it essential that I find another or can I deal with it when I return in a couple weeks? Thanks all.
Dchafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #2

If it were me:

I would take a picture of the mud flap and either call Jayco and ask for them to send you a new flap that you can install

or

Call the dealer and make an appointment to have the flap replaced. Send the dealer pictures so they can pre-order the parts required for replacement under warranty.

I would not cut my trip short unless the missing flap resulted in damage to other components or the exterior surfaces.

As a note, when I talked to Jayco about my mudflap last year they knew they had a problem with how the flaps are mounted and were supposed to change their assembly process.

Now, if I'm mistaken and your rig isn't under warranty the above would have to be modified.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:32 AM   #3

I do not think they made any changes as my 2021 front flaps got into the tires too and melted...

I didn't really even think about it until I read this post. Just kind of added it to the list of things that Jayco/Freightliner could have done better.

Mike
svoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
As a note, when I talked to Jayco about my mudflap last year they knew they had a problem with how the flaps are mounted and were supposed to change their assembly process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svoshop View Post
I do not think they made any changes as my 2021 front flaps got into the tires too and melted...

I didn't really even think about it until I read this post. Just kind of added it to the list of things that Jayco/Freightliner could have done better.

Mike
Looks like they have not changed things since 2015! And they knew that the mounting of the flaps was a problem then too....

We had ours replaced a few times, but they only put the same (poorly engineered) assembly back on as a replacement. I took things into my own hands and found that temporary fix with a piece of wire wrapped around the reinforcing bracket did more good than what CW service accomplished in the few attempts they failed at. I think that the wire is still under there come to think of it!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

Same crappy mount on our 2018.5 and as SloPoke said his 2015. Jayco has no intention or never will fix this issue. Knowing that, I built new brackets out of 1" angle Iron and attached them correctly myself.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #6

Never could figure any benefit the front flaps provided. Trashed them 6 months after I got my Seneca. No regrets 3 1/2 years later.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #7

Same here. They were failing at delivery and I had dealer repair. They then came off a month later. Still have them laying around though I am sure I will just trash them eventually. I did remove and properly install the rear flaps. They are on there solidly now. It’s been almost 4 years without the front flaps.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Never could figure any benefit the front flaps provided. Trashed them 6 months after I got my Seneca. No regrets 3 1/2 years later.

They help protect from anything flying off the tire forward just like a rear flap does. In the case of our 2018.5, any debris thrown forward would hit the outside of the compartment which is just plywood. I wouldnt run without them myself except in an emergency.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:43 PM   #9

I will never understand why not fix the problem and make more happy customers. Also a safety issue! They had to replace my inside rear duel because it dug a wear mark in it. Had it blown it could have been a lot worse. Put the effort in the front and dividends pay out.
Dchafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 01:30 PM   #10

I just purchased a 2023 Entegra Qwest and had exactly the same problem with the rear duel front flap. I've contacted Jayco and seems there is little help and of course the dealer sent me to Jayco. It's really is astonishing how little assistance you get on this. I mean direct me to where I can get flaps and the correction for a screw that has released the flap causing it to rub and be damaged by the tire.
MJT2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT2019 View Post
I just purchased a 2023 Entegra Qwest and had exactly the same problem with the rear duel front flap. I've contacted Jayco and seems there is little help and of course the dealer sent me to Jayco. It's really is astonishing how little assistance you get on this. I mean direct me to where I can get flaps and the correction for a screw that has released the flap causing it to rub and be damaged by the tire.
You're under warranty, why did the dealer send you to JAYCO? All issues under warranty require the dealer to make the contact and document the problem.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 04:33 PM   #12

Our 2022 did not come with the front mud flaps - just brackets. The T bracket fell out from under the rig when we pulled into a campground in Kern. Dealer installed them on the next visit but then we had the same issue with them blowing back into the duels and melting. In the shop now so I will update on the repair when it returns.
Plumberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:46 AM   #13

My flaps were rubbing on the tires, got new ones from NAPA, made this simple strap on the front to keep them in place. A brace on the rear helps keep them in place too. Nothing fancy, but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3863.jpg   IMG_3861.jpg  
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote