Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #1

Need advice on towed vehicle braking systems

We have just purchased a 2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon. Our trusty TJ has been sold and now I need to add a supplemental braking system for the new Wrangler. Does anyone have experience with the Seneca M2 chassis with the Jeep combination they would like to share?

2019 Jayco Seneca 37K
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2017 Polaris RZR XP 1000
david a judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #2

I do not have a Jeep. I have a Ram 1500 and I installed an M&G Engineering brake system which works with the Seneca air brakes. M&G makes different units to fit different vehicles. Highly recommended.

I chose this system for a couple of reasons.

1. I did not want to have to install and remove something every time I hookup and disconnect. The M&G system is installed between master cylinder and vacuum booster and does not affect braking while not being towed. Does not need turned on/off.
2. I did not want the toad brakes to be applied when the engine brakes actuated. Most braking systems apply the brake in toad when they sense deceleration. There is no need to have the toad brakes applied when using the engine brake and this will happen with a deceleration based system.
3. I did not want something connected to my brake arm and the firewall to apply the brakes. This seemed clunky to me.
4. I wanted the toad Barajas to be applied proportionally to the Seneca brakes. Some systems apply the same brake pressure every time.
5. Does not require any power to operate. The breakaway unit (sold separately) needs 12volts to actuate the solenoid should the breakaway cable actuate.
ebarchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:39 PM   #3

I tow a Jeep JK and use Air Force 1 and Blue Ox. Love the package. Easy on easy off.
Dchafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #4

We tow a JK and use the RVi 2 braking system. Literally takes like 2 minutes to set up and take out. I once had to tow the Jeep to the shop and used the RVi brake while towing with my truck. Also, if we change vehicles we can just move it over since it’s portable.
DW hooks it up while I hook up tow bar.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #5

Using RVI last couple years with Jeep JL no issues, easy to setup and remove. Used brake buddy prior, had issues and would not recommend.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
We tow a JK and use the RVi 2 braking system. Literally takes like 2 minutes to set up and take out. I once had to tow the Jeep to the shop and used the RVi brake while towing with my truck. Also, if we change vehicles we can just move it over since it’s portable.
DW hooks it up while I hook up tow bar.
Not a Seneca but also use RVi2. Works great. Easy set up. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchafe View Post
I tow a Jeep JK and use Air Force 1 and Blue Ox. Love the package. Easy on easy off.
X2. Very easy to use!
Pops&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:13 AM   #8

Ihave a wrangler jl, use the patriot 3 from blue ox the simplist to installl and it only uses 1 wire for the break away, everything is wireless, removing it & reinstalling it is a breeze
01 mixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #9

I’m in the RVi3 club as well, although have not used it yet with the new Jeep JL but used it on a F150 and worked very well. Also used the RVi battery tender and tpms. With the RVi tablet in the motorhome cab one can monitor toad braking, battery in toad and tire pressure/temperature on both vehicles.