Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #1

Non Truck Stop Seneca (M2) fueling

In the three years of owning the Seneca, I have only once fueled at a non truck stop station. This summer‘s adventure will keep us further from larger areas and we will need to fuel up at smaller gas stations.

Last time I filled one tank, had DW block the island and drove around the station and returned to the the same pump and filled the other tank. I will be flat towing the Jeep just to make it more interesting.

Any suggestions or hints on making this easier?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #2

We have been doing this quite a bit lately, since we have been boondocking a lot and want to fuel up at the last available station before we head into the back-country. We run the diesel genny a good amount of time.

I sometimes search google maps for "diesel fuel" and it will show me the stations in the area... I then can look at them to see what they have as far as satelite pumps ( sometimes we find rural towns have one station that will have room for a single truck pump with a long fuel hose that we can run around the Seneca)

Next we look at the canopy clearance, I will use street view to see what the clearance height is.

Fuel the passenger tank first, leave the engine running so it is transferring fuel to the drivers side as you fuel. It won't transfer fuel to the drivers side fast enough, but we notice that it is.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #3

Depending on how far we travel each day, I have several times just filled up the right side tank. And as SloPoke mentioned tried to figure out when I’ll need to stop for fuel and goggle earth the fuel stations and figure out which works best. I started doing this when we were traveling with our 5th wheel toy hauler. Helps with any unexpected surprises at any particular fuel station.

Bruce
Old 06-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #4

I just downloaded Google Earth. I have no need to go anywhere now. I can sit on my couch and travel the world. You guys saved me a ton of Money and time. Lol

I think this will help a lot. I still like truck stops where I pay at the pump, fill both tanks and am on my way in like five minutes.

So when you are filling at a regular station, after filling the one tank, do you keep that pump open while you maneuver around or start a new pump? And you always start with the passenger tank?
Old 06-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I just downloaded Google Earth. I have no need to go anywhere now. I can sit on my couch and travel the world. You guys saved me a ton of Money and time. Lol
I don't use Earth, Just Google Maps
Quote:
I think this will help a lot. I still like truck stops where I pay at the pump, fill both tanks and am on my way in like five minutes.

So when you are filling at a regular station, after filling the one tank, do you keep that pump open while you maneuver around or start a new pump? And you always start with the passenger tank?
I wished I could keep the same pump running, but I usually hang up the pump and then move the Seneca. I "try" to fill the passenger side first, but sometimes the available pump is not always working out that way.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #6

I guess there is something to be said about the single fill 100 gal tank on the S2RV chassis.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I guess there is something to be said about the single fill 100 gal tank on the S2RV chassis.
Agree... definitely wished we had a bigger crossover line between tanks.

I have a dip-stick that I put in the tanks to measure fuel levels, and the passenger tank is always fuller than the drivers side.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Agree... definitely wished we had a bigger crossover line between tanks.

I have a dip-stick that I put in the tanks to measure fuel levels, and the passenger tank is always fuller than the drivers side.
What’s the most fuel you have ever put in the tanks? I keep wondering how much usable fuel we have of the 74 gallons. I’ve been basing my calculations on about 60 usable gallons to be safe.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #9

I start by using truckers path or my efs control card maps. These provide me pricing information as well as truck specific pumps. Then I use maps to see satellite and street view maps as slowpoke mentions. If I get in a location that I only have access to one side I fill that side and open the tank cap from the opposite side. While the tanks are vented the vent is only 3/8 tubing with a 1/4 or so inside dimension. This allows the tank balancing to occur much quicker. I then fill the tank as much as possible. Once I have filled to the neck of the extensions I leave the nozzle in the tank and clean the windshield. After a few minutes I can then add another 4-5 gallons. If no one is waiting I might do this once more. This gets me to within about 5-8 gallons of full. Unless I am going a long way or using the generator that is close enough for me. I just make the next leg shorter.

45 gallons is the most I have ever put into the tanks using dual truck stop fill.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #10

Do you have the motor running when you fuel the one tank? I would be willing g to give up 8 gallons to not have to turn around.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #11

No engine has been off. But I might try that next time that might make it even closer.

If you have to move the unit the tanks are leveling the whole time. So when you finally fill the other tank. The first tank is now lower and is relying on the higher tank to balance the levels.

We have to travel through PA frequently and the fuel prices there are .40-.80 $ higher then any where else. Before I got the extensions I could not make it from my house through PA. So i carried a 5 gallon fuel tank. We always stop at cabelas for a rest or sleep. I would just put into the tanks and that gave me the range to get through without being gouged. You could carry a jug and fill that from the pump then after you fill the high tank use the jug to fill the lower tank. You then would only be giving up a few gallons.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #12

Quote:
What’s the most fuel you have ever put in the tanks? I keep wondering how much usable fuel we have of the 74 gallons. I’ve been basing my calculations on about 60 usable gallons to be safe.
Honestly.... I can't really say exactly. We do have the ExtendaFill extensions and I would guess about 60 once when we got real low after 10 days of generator running in 100+ weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
If I get in a location that I only have access to one side I fill that side and open the tank cap from the opposite side. While the tanks are vented the vent is only 3/8 tubing with a 1/4 or so inside dimension. This allows the tank balancing to occur much quicker. I then fill the tank as much as possible. Once I have filled to the neck of the extensions I leave the nozzle in the tank and clean the windshield. After a few minutes I can then add another 4-5 gallons. If no one is waiting I might do this once more. This gets me to within about 5-8 gallons of full. Unless I am going a long way or using the generator that is close enough for me. I just make the next leg shorter.
We have done the same a couple of times... thus the reason to fill the passenger side, since it is larger.

Quote:
Do you have the motor running when you fuel the one tank? I would be willing g to give up 8 gallons to not have to turn around.
With the engine running, it seems to balance the fuel levels much faster. We always leave the unit running while fueling diesel.

Quote:
No engine has been off. But I might try that next time that might make it even closer.

If you have to move the unit the tanks are leveling the whole time. So when you finally fill the other tank. The first tank is now lower and is relying on the higher tank to balance the levels.
Our experience is the same... leaving the engine running speeds up the equalization, and yes... the first tank ends up transferring to the other while moving to the other tank.

Even when fueling with the satellite pump on the passenger side, I never leave the nozzle running w/o holding on to the pump - (had the nozzle fail to shut off). I fill the drivers till it is full, but leave the nozzle in the tank. Then I go to the passenger and fill that full, hang the nozzle and go back to top off the drivers tank. I sometimes can get 2 more gallons of fuel in the drivers tank on the top-off that transferred to the other tank before it was filled.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #13

Thanks guys, I will try filling the passenger tank only with engine running.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #14

I have seen Diesel be $0.80 more expensive at the truck stops than our Sam’s near the house (which conveniently has diesel) so this is common place for us. If DW is along I do have her hold the island while I spin around in the parking lot; if not the attendants are usually helpful. Paul, that’s exit 36!

Kurt Kuhl (the Kuhl odyssey) had said it takes 45 min to transfer to equalization if both tank are empty and you only filled one up. Can’t speak for the truth of that statement but I kept that in my head. Admittedly there have been times when I had to accept filling only one tank and stop sooner.

Mark, how do you get to pay at the truck pumps; I am still going in and prepaying for them as my card does not work at the pump.

I would have to say that my fill ups (even when on E) are mid 40 gallons, but I don’t have tank extensions.

As to the equalization, Rob once explained this that there is not a Simple tube connecting the tanks At the bottom because road debris could sever this and allow a massive fuel leak (which he had seen in his years in his profession). Would have to go back several years to find his post, but I remember something about the equalization occurs as a result of the fuel pump.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
I have seen Diesel be $0.80 more expensive at the truck stops than our Sam’s near the house (which conveniently has diesel) so this is common place for us. If DW is along I do have her hold the island while I spin around in the parking lot; if not the attendants are usually helpful. Paul, that’s exit 36!

Kurt Kuhl (the Kuhl odyssey) had said it takes 45 min to transfer to equalization if both tank are empty and you only filled one up. Can’t speak for the truth of that statement but I kept that in my head. Admittedly there have been times when I had to accept filling only one tank and stop sooner.

Mark, how do you get to pay at the truck pumps; I am still going in and prepaying for them as my card does not work at the pump.

I would have to say that my fill ups (even when on E) are mid 40 gallons, but I don’t have tank extensions.

As to the equalization, Rob once explained this that there is not a Simple tube connecting the tanks At the bottom because road debris could sever this and allow a massive fuel leak (which he had seen in his years in his profession). Would have to go back several years to find his post, but I remember something about the equalization occurs as a result of the fuel pump.
Hi Ryan,
I have seen diesel more like .015-0.30 more per gallon, which for the convenience and easy access is worth it. At 0.80 I would have to rethink it.

I opened both Pilot/Flying J and Loves accounts so I can pay at the pump and I get discounts of 0.07 and 0.12 per gallon respectively. I hated having to send DW in to pay up front. I also like being able to top off the DEF at each fuel stop.

The dual tanks on my Seneca is not one of my favorite things but has not really been an issue in our type of travels. I’ll find out soon when truck stops are not available now how it is.

Lastly, we have 74 gallons of fuel plus with the “Extend-a-fill” say another 5. I have gone a little over 500 miles on a tank and believe me I was sweating it. I really wish I knew the true usable fuel capacity. Theoretically, if we have 75 gallons and let’s say 20% is below the pick up tubes we should have 60 usable gallons at 9 mpg we should have a safe range of 540 miles. I wish I could confirm this.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:01 AM   #16

Can’t say the 80 cents is the normal difference, but on a trip from WV (where I am working) to NC I passed a loves and noted the price. When I stopped at the Sam’s I was amazed!

I don’t like going in to prepay these days either; going to have to look at those accounts.

On a recent trip from MO to home I wanted to get to that same Sam’s. Gauge was on E with light on and still only managed just under 50 gallons.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #17

I signed up for the tsd fuel card. It offers pay at the pump and significant discounts. They pull the actual charges out of a bank account that I set up. The photos are of the pump charge and then the actual charge i paid.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200630-145121_Drive.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	60624Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200630-145036_Gallery.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	60625
Old 06-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #18

Quote:
I signed up for the tsd fuel card. It offers pay at the pump and significant discounts. They pull the actual charges out of a bank account that I set up. The photos are of the pump charge and then the actual charge i paid.Attachment 60624Attachment 60625
Been using TSD Logistics EFS fuel card for about 2 years. Great program: very good discounts and good comm. from TSD to track your charges.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Been using TSD Logistics EFS fuel card for about 2 years. Great program: very good discounts and good comm. from TSD to track your charges.
https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #20

Did you know that if you park your Seneca near the Exact center between two fuel islands, one of the hoses will be about 3” inches too short to fill both tanks at once?
Also, if you pull in to the first pump and fill your passenger tank, there is a 130% chance that a line of vehicles will be waiting for the only other diesel pump for your driver side tank.
Also, if you fill the first tank and have DW stand in the center of the fuel lane holding the nozzle in the air and waving cars off with her other hand while you make a U turn, you will get on average 7.34 dirty looks?
For these and other fun facts, follow me while getting fuel in non truck stops.