Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2023, 11:49 AM   #1

Not-so-Good Sam

On July 30, 2023, our Seneca quit on I-90 at the Y to the Spokane Airport.in Spokane. No warning and no opportunity to move to a roadside-it quit in the slow lane and wouldn't roll-over or start. Dash said 'no trans' and 'no engine' and the gauges were dead. It was on an uphill incline and the parking brake did not work, so I held the brake pedal to prevent rolling backward. My SO called 911 and a trooper arrived in minutes to park behind with all lights going. I traded places with my wife and got the wheel chocks in place and could finally breath. The trooper calls for an emergency tow, arrives in 15 minutes, and we chose the Cummins repair facility for the tow.
Cummins said it was a Freightliner issue after camping 4 days in their lot with electric, water, and a dump we couldn't get to. They jumped the starter and we were able to drive the 3 miles to Freightliner for another wait and diagnosis. It was the transmission control module that went tits-up (TCM), and when it craps the bed, everything goes away. $1700 part and $2300 for diagnosis. It is an aluminum-finned and sealed module on the bulkhead the size of a paperback, so it is just bad juju.
My rant is that we submitted the invoice to Good Sam for reimbursement for the tow on July 31, received confirmation of the claim, and haven't heard a thing since then. Called today from our winter home, and the claim was denied because we didn't call Good Sam first! I explained the catastrophic failure and location and that the Trooper made the call because I was, metaphorically, still cleaning my pants. I've read your horror stories of undersized tow trucks, hours-long waits while they negotiate and obfuscate, and now I know the pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken Down.jpg  
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 11:56 AM   #2

better to keep your money in your pocket and use it when needed. Applies to all extended warranties and Good Sam...JMHO

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 12:54 PM   #3

Marcus isn't happy until you are. So I would let him know all about it.

marcuslemonis.com
Old 10-09-2023, 01:00 PM   #4

Ever since Marcus Lemonis took over both Camping World and Good Sam they have gone down hill! I just got a renewal notice for my GS Roadside assistance. Their "Deal" price for renewing early is $239, yet the online Special is $119. It's like SiriusXM racket...wait until the day it's going to expire, call on the phone to cancel and then get an unadvertised price that is finally reasonable.

The last time I used GS RA was 16 years ago and their service was outstanding. The fuel pump on my truck went out in my driveway. Called and they came out within 30 minutes and towed it to a repair place of my choice 40 miles away, even though a dealer was 25 miles away. Didn't pay one cent out of pocket.

Today the horror stories have made me think twice about even renewing. I just recently signed up with FMCA, as well as AAA RV Plus. Hopefully I will never need any of them.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 04:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Mine is coming up for renewal in Dec. and I am thinking about going on my own.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 04:54 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about your breakdown.

Seems like a really high diagnosis fee... I would be more upset about that.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 05:05 PM   #7

Lemonis is a train wreck for that company. They need a complete makeover to remove the stench from Camping World.
Old 10-09-2023, 05:37 PM   #8

Seems like a really high diagnosis fee... I would be more upset about that.

Actually, they swapped out a couple other parts, but for the post I just went with the TCM. The parts are in my diagnosis $$$. They have the technology to keep the big rigs running at Freightliner, but if the best equipment you've got doesn't point to or throw a code, then old fashioned 'try-this' is the plan. Module failure is not common.
We lost 8 days total of our summer long sojourn in parking lots, but I can't fault their integrity or knowledge.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
Old 10-10-2023, 04:19 AM   #9

They call that style of diagnosis, “The Parts Cannon”
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 04:42 AM   #10

In the Army, we called it "module jockey".
1975 Triumph TR6-in progress
"For evil to triumph, good people need do Nothing!"
dwaynebmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 09:51 AM   #11

tow

Didn't post the tow bill in question. $1160.00 for 6 or so miles.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
Old 10-11-2023, 12:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWest View Post
Didn't post the tow bill in question. $1160.00 for 6 or so miles.
I guess Road Service is the price of piece of mind. I have spent much more than that if I added up all the years I paid for road service and never used it but a couple of times, never for a tow.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 12:06 PM   #13

Goodsam

I used my GS roadside twice. Both time they were unable to find someone to help, however they reimbursed us both times. I think big difference is I called them first.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 12:22 PM   #14

That is common practice for the trooper to call the first available tow when a driving lane is blocked. They cannot wait hours! Complain loudly.

2019 Keystone Laredo fifth wheel
(But looking at Class Cs)
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Ever since Marcus Lemonis took over both Camping World and Good Sam they have gone down hill! I just got a renewal notice for my GS Roadside assistance. Their "Deal" price for renewing early is $239, yet the online Special is $119. It's like SiriusXM racket...wait until the day it's going to expire, call on the phone to cancel and then get an unadvertised price that is finally reasonable.

The last time I used GS RA was 16 years ago and their service was outstanding. The fuel pump on my truck went out in my driveway. Called and they came out within 30 minutes and towed it to a repair place of my choice 40 miles away, even though a dealer was 25 miles away. Didn't pay one cent out of pocket.

Today the horror stories have made me think twice about even renewing. I just recently signed up with FMCA, as well as AAA RV Plus. Hopefully I will never need any of them.
You may be SOL with AAA. AAA is not nationwide in the sense that most people think of nationwide. They are divided into regions. If you sign up in the northeast region, and have problems in the northwest region, you may not be covered. Do some research to verify if I'm correct, but that is my understanding.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 01:26 PM   #16

Had GS for many years and am still a life member. Used the RA a couple of times many years ago and was satisfied. My Greyhawk came with CoachNet and I renewed after the original expired. Used CoachNet a couple of times and found it prompt and reliable. Only problem is when we are a long way from where the nearest tire seller with our size tire in stock (Greyhawks have no spares). CoachNet reputation far better than today’s GS.
Old 10-18-2023, 02:22 PM   #17

Same issue

We were on the 235 in Des Moines, IA six years ago on a 105 degree day (no emergency lane, stopped in the middle of the off ramp) when our trans module went out annunciator panel said “no trans” towed to Freightliner for a new module after waiting 10 days for our turn in line we were back on the road. RV lifestyle adventures providing another story to share.
jsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 02:22 PM   #18

Good Sam camps are usually good.
Good Sam offers are good for compost.
We have AAA but trust no-one so in all things we prepare to do it on our own.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:44 AM   #19

I have a Good Sam credit card and as I use it through the year it accumulates points, in the end I use the points to buy the RA as well as the Good Sam card, use the card ,pay off the charges at the end of the billing cycle and there is no interest charges, so the points don't cost anything giving you the RA for free. I know this is not for everyone, it works for me.
STOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 03:00 PM   #20

Not-so-Good

Well, having never heard back from the Good Sam agent that they would review the information furnished in my 'why-no-pay' call, I put all this in an email to Marcus. If-your-not-happy, I'm-not-happy CEO Marcus at Good Sam. Been 2 days and waiting for any acknowledgement. The loss of the money won't bust me, but how many corporate-designed hoops to you have hula before you at least get a hard NO?
Also, there claims page is set up for only one document per claim. You got photos, or Trooper report, or pertinent info? You have to create a zip file and attach it. How many of you have a zipping program on your phone? Or a computer while your traveling?
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife