Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2021, 07:01 AM   #1

Oil Choice

I have a '20 HJ and will be doing my first oil change soon. Looks like I'll probably average 3,000 - 4,000 miles a year. Just curious what the opinions are on using regular oil vs. synthetic.
2010 Jeep Wrangler - TOAD
Wandrews530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:20 AM   #2

Have been using synthetic for the last 40 years. For the small increase in price in my opinion it is worth it for the added protection. What do you do with your cars? Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #3

I use synthetic in every vehicle and small engine I own and have been doing so for years. I still change my oil every 5K regardless. If I were putting as few miles as you are on a motor home, I would still change my oil every 6 months regardless of miles. Time is just as important as miles...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:16 AM   #4
CAG

Save the environment. Use synthetic. And before you waste oil/money by changing
More often than necessary. Send a sample off at 6 months to have Blackstone or one of the testing company give you a report. Most all vehicles now days are a year or 10K miles. My 04 Duramax was 10K or a year so that tells you how long ago the idea of short duration changed.

Install a Fumoto valve so that you can take samples periodically.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #5

Synthetic oil withstands heat much better than conventional oil,heat is one of the biggest enemy's of the engine. I use synthetic oils throughout my truck,engine,transmission,transfer case,front and rear differential and power streering. How often to change it(engine)? I think there are two camps on that question,one every 3 or 4 thousand miles (I'm in that one) and some manufacturers say 10,000. Personal choice i guess.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #6

We use the recommended oil/fluids by Freightliner / Cummins. We let them do our annual service / inspection / warranty / recalls all at the same time... Usually in a couple of hours while we wait.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
Synthetic oil withstands heat much better than conventional oil,heat is one of the biggest enemy's of the engine. I use synthetic oils throughout my truck,engine,transmission,transfer case,front and rear differential and power streering. How often to change it(engine)? I think there are two camps on that question,one every 3 or 4 thousand miles (I'm in that one) and some manufacturers say 10,000. Personal choice i guess.

It might be a personal choice, or if you follow the owner's manuals on most modern vehicles, it is overkill. European vehicles have used extended changes for decades. My 2014 Lexus (Japanese) is 5K or 6 months which in today's world is the minimum. Some over the road trucks go 100K between changes.

Engines run cleaner, oil life is extended because of that and synthetic oil is a better product than dino oil. The camp is getting smaller as people realize that dumping all oil with better than half the life left is wasteful. I ran tests on oils from all of my vehicles at change time. All, and I mean some that ran over 10K came back saying there is life left in them. But, then I use a higher grade oil (trans fluids, diff cases, and transfer cases) also. Amsoil's tests beat most all others.

A little info on who it is that wants you to change your oil so often.
https://www.cars.com/articles/do-you...1420663072289/

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:18 AM   #8

This is probably one of the biggest debates on the internet. I have never used synthetics and all my vehicles will outlast me. I go by the manufactures recommendation and in the case of Cummins I change at 15k or annually whichever comes first and use Rotella T4.
Attached Thumbnails
8BBFBD87-B87A-4811-B3AD-50029B89D67E.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:06 AM   #9

While I change the oil on my cars and truck I prefer to let the Freight liner/Cummins/Alison service center handle the m2. I have to take it in for the state safety inspection each year and have it completed then. I only drive 10-12 k per year so it fits within the recommended mileage. Saves having to deal with a large quantity of used oil. As part of this process they have found several items that I might have missed. They plug in the transmission and engine to verify any updates and take care of any recalls.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #10

I was at Freightliner yesterday getting my DEF overheating problem fixed and asked the service manager, he said Shell Rotella T6 if you are preferential to synthetic, otherwise T4, which they use for service unless customer requests synthetic... $2.50 upcharge per quart for T6.
JohnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAZ View Post
I was at Freightliner yesterday getting my DEF overheating problem fixed and asked the service manager, he said Shell Rotella T6 if you are preferential to synthetic, otherwise T4, which they use for service unless customer requests synthetic... $2.50 upcharge per quart for T6.
I have had great success with Rotella oil as well, I started using it in my gasoline vehicles 15~20 years ago and I could visually see via the oil fill cap that the engine was cleaner. Now there is a Rotella oil specifically made for gasoline engines, however I am not sure if it is any better that the T4 I had been using.