Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2022, 09:28 PM   #1

Thumbs down Onan QD8000 Low Voltage on L1

AT the end of a 6,000 mile trip QD8000 generator stopped producing power. Starts and runs fine - even from cell phone via VegaTouch. Metered prior to transfer switch and get 40v on L1 and 124.9 on L2. All breakers and fuses test good. Also got error 38 - yet all appliances are original and A/C heat pumps work fine. Error 38 is an overdraw of power, I can't see how this would occur. Even with A/C off still get low voltage. Has anyone else had this issue? So far Cummins has not been very responsive to calls or emails - any insight would help.
rmarkarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:52 PM   #2

Not seeing many replies to your post. A few things: good thing you got thru your 6K mile trip before this reared up! Second; have you made the trip to Rocky Mountain Cummins in Avondale (assuming you’re back home in PHX? Three; since you still have voltage (albeit significantly lower/different) on L1 comparatively to L2, my strong suspicion is that it is either a ground issue within the generator pack, or your voltage regulator went south for an extended vacation. Now, why you are still able to run your appliances and AC’s at the moment? My guess is that L2 is providing enough voltage and amperage (for a limited time) to the inverter/converter as applicable to get things moving…but if you’ve actually metered (with a reliable meter e.g. Fluke) and those are your actual line voltages, my opinion sticks to the above, and you are need Depot level maintenance and parts. Just my $.02. Good luck and I’m curious on the outcome.
Lasvegasstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:42 AM   #3

RV QD8000 low voltage issue

The RV is at Rocky Mountain now. They said there was no problem found. However, when I mentioned that I had used a meter (Fluke) at the input to the transfer switch and got 40v on L1 and 124.9 on L2 they said they rechecked. I asked them to also check for a loose wire in the output block. They said they are getting 119v on both L1 and L2. They even called to ask where AC breakers were so they could test it with a load. They said it works fine now so I will pick it up tomorrow. I think they tightened a wire on the output block when testing it. I am afraid since it was a No Trouble Found they will bill me for their time. I owned a Tech Srv company for 40 yrs. and definitely know how to use a meter. You could be right a loose ground could have made a more solid connection during testing I will check them all when I get it back. Thanks for your help.
rmarkarian is offline   Reply With Quote