Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2022, 05:52 AM   #1

Once a month drive enough?

Brought home the 37L a month ago. It's plugged in. There's diesel anti-gel treatment in it and the fuel was bought up here in Virginia in December. So far, I've started it and idled it at 1000 rpm and ran the 10k genny under modest load for half an hour weekly. Temps haven't dropped below 20°. Winterized, slides in, no cover.

My plan is to drive it about 45 minutes this coming weekend, top off the fuel, and do it again in another month. Then again in March, with dewinterizing by early April and the start of our camping season.

My only diesel experience was a career in the Army that I retired from in the 90's, so making sure I don't screw this thing up. Any help is appreciated.
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:31 AM   #2

What problem are you seeing that you are trying to fix? I would just make sure the batteries are charged and the tank is full and just let it sit. If you really feel the need to do "something" over the long winter, I would do one 45 minute drive in the middle of your winter hiatus. I would try to time it around the snow so you aren't driving it on treated roads though. Getting everything up to temp (exhaust, transmission, etc) is much better than simply warming the engine up and nothing else. But again... I don't think that it is necessary. My Ram pickup truck is mostly used for towing. With little kids we stop camping by November and it will usually sit until February when we head to Florida. With quality diesel and a small smart charger for the battery, we haven't had any issues.

Is the generator diesel too? I'd read the manual, but starting it weekly seems unnecessary to me. Even little portable gas generators only recommend once a month, and that is mostly due to poor quality ethanol blended gas and carburetors.

I think you are overthinking and over stressing. If you've got the money and time to do all this stuff, have at it, but I don't think you are going to notice any performance issues if you just leave the camper parked and significantly cut back on excercising that generator.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:10 AM   #3

Here is what I do but by no means is this correct but it my stab at it. Generator monthly, I turn it on and then fire up electric heaters to get the unit running at a high load, I have four 1500 watt heaters, on in wet bay and three in coach. I run for an hour or so.

As for running the engine I only do that a couple times a winter, They use a boat load of salt on the roads up here and it can be very difficult to find a day where my drive way is not slippery and the roads are not too salt covered. I probably average a drive every two months from dec to march. I don't start the engine unless I can take the unit for a drive as I believe the units are not to be idled like older diesel engines used to be run. I don't want to unit to have to go into a regeneration while parked in my driveway.

I was taught the most important thing is to get the units up to temperature to burn off any moisture to prevent corrosion issues in the exhaust.

I have almost 60k in five years and this seems to work for my unit.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:34 PM   #4

On my first Freightliner service, the service tech told me that the biggest mistake owners make is not driving enough and if these sit, they start having problems. Luckily, I can park mine on my property (easy access) and I live in northern Florida where I don't have weather issues or road salt issues like RVermont. I take mine out for an "exercise" every 6 weeks. 100 mile circuit on divided 4-lane and interstate so it gets a good workout. It takes about 2.5 hours (with a diesel top-off) and I run the generator under full load the entire trip.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:14 PM   #5

I don't know that I have a "problem I'm trying to fix", I was simply asking if there was something more I could be doing to keep my brand new Super C diesel RV in better shape this winter. I certainly am not going to ignore the engine until spring just because the batteries are charged. I do know I'm running the generator much more than needed but that's because I'm in it every weekend and I like to heat it up while I do my mods and set it up. No harm done there.

While it does snow sometimes here, there's not much salt on the roads, so I'm not queued about the monthly 45 minute or so drive.

Thank you for the replies

Jim
Old 01-19-2022, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
On my first Freightliner service, the service tech told me that the biggest mistake owners make is not driving enough and if these sit, they start having problems. Luckily, I can park mine on my property (easy access) and I live in northern Florida where I don't have weather issues or road salt issues like RVermont. I take mine out for an "exercise" every 6 weeks. 100 mile circuit on divided 4-lane and interstate so it gets a good workout. It takes about 2.5 hours (with a diesel top-off) and I run the generator under full load the entire trip.

I was told the same thing but a mechanic at Freightliner. When these units sit the sensors and other electrical components start experiencing issues. We had the issue last year with the Accelerator Pedal Circuit and the ABS Sensor and after having them fixed under warranty he started that every couple of weeks take the unit out for a ride and get everything up to temperature. This allows all the sensors and electrical components to stay functional, Freighliner didn't design these truck to sit for months on end with no use. Ever since that point we take it out for a 45 min to and hour drive and also run the generator and so far all has been good.
Jlink16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:16 PM   #7

That's the plan I'm going with.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlink16 View Post
I was told the same thing but a mechanic at Freightliner. When these units sit the sensors and other electrical components start experiencing issues. We had the issue last year with the Accelerator Pedal Circuit and the ABS Sensor and after having them fixed under warranty he started that every couple of weeks take the unit out for a ride and get everything up to temperature. This allows all the sensors and electrical components to stay functional, Freighliner didn't design these truck to sit for months on end with no use. Ever since that point we take it out for a 45 min to and hour drive and also run the generator and so far all has been good.
I live in Maryland and have to winterize the units. I always take the babies out for a run every six weeks or so given weather, and always run the generator on a load. LOT ROT is real, so is driveway LOT ROT. You have to run everything and keep everything lubricated. Best way is to take her out for a drive….
From 2001 Daemon Escaper
From 1998 Daemon Intruder
From 1993 Daemon Hornet
From Tent (BEST RV EVER!)
Jmorenz is offline   Reply With Quote