Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2022, 06:37 AM   #1

Option for Problematic Schwintek Slide

This is an interesting option to replace a problematic Schwintek slide mechanism. Watch the video here

2022 Entegra Accolade 37K
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
GibbysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:43 AM   #2

Interesting video, thank you.

Slides on RV's have been around for over 20 years. You'd think they would have perfected them by now - NOPE.

Like most RV components - cheap, shoddy materials and workmanship, careless installations.

I am a fanatic about slide maintenance. But I know no matter what I do, someday it will fail.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:50 AM   #3
Site Team

Moderators Note: see this post thread post # 19. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...c-91571-3.html

If I understand the video, it can work on any Schwintek slide not just on Class C motorhomes.

The Vroom slide has been discussed over on this thread and Several members are in the process of having it installed.

Maybe Lippert will purchase the company as it has other rv companies?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

Maybe Lippert will purchase the company as it has other rv companies?
The last thing you want is someone else to take the company over...
First thing that will happen is they will look for ways to cut costs, use cheaper materials, cut labor by hiring unskilled workers to save $$$ over skilled workers.
2022 Jayco Jay Feather 24RL
Grumpaw374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #5
Site Team

[QUOTE=Grumpaw374;1042614.e last thing you want is someone else to take the company over...
First thing that will happen is they will look for ways to cut costs, use cheaper materials, cut labor by hiring unskilled workers to save $$$ over skilled workers.[/QUOTE]

Not my wish but it has happened with other rv related businesses like schwintek and Dexter frames
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #6

I also saw that video last night, the Vroom is a nice well built system picking up where Schwintek fall short. It is a great option for a large slide but like the video mentions, on a small slide with the Schwintek maintained well it shouldnt be an issue. Our RB only has the Schwintek on the smaller bedroom slide but it it has any future issues, I will consider the Vroom. Its nice they designed it to directly replace the Schwintek. Like mentioned, it will probably be bought out with an offer the Vroom owner cant refuse or it will just be copied.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:23 PM   #7

This is actually old news. Folks over on the Thor forum have had this system installed on their Super C full wall slides with considerable success.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:39 PM   #8

Anybody know the cost?
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Anybody know the cost?
It said in the video his was $2800.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
It said in the video his was $2800.
That's very pricey. Hopefully a larger company (ie. Lipperts) will buy them out and the price will come down.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
That's very pricey. Hopefully a larger company (ie. Lipperts) will buy them out and the price will come down.
Lipperts? Let's hope not!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:35 PM   #12

Quote:
You want the company that manufactures the problematic slide system to buy the company that designed and installs the solution to the problem?

As a note, the Schwintek system is a good system when used within its design constraints. Full wall slides should not be operated by a rack and pinion system designed for slides 15 feet of less.

The RV manufacturers are the ones that decide which slide system they are going to use in their vehicles.

As to cost folks on another forum reported installations in the range of 2400.00, they were however some of the first to get the slide installed and may have received a marketing discount.

The best option, which will;l never happen, is folks quit buying RVs that use a rack and pinion mechanism on a slide longer that 13 feet. If manufactures can't sell the RVs they will quit using the Schwintek system. Again, that will never happen because folks think it won't happen to them.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 12:41 PM   #13

I just had my kitchen slide schwintec replaced under my 7 year extended warranty. I guarantee your local dealer will charge more to replace with another schwintec. My warranty company refused to let me have this system installed. It had to be original equipment.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 01:42 PM   #14

When shwintec is used on bigger slides it's usually to save weight, not $.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You want the company that manufactures the problematic slide system to buy the company that designed and installs the solution to the problem?

As a note, the Schwintek system is a good system when used within its design constraints. Full wall slides should not be operated by a rack and pinion system designed for slides 15 feet of less.

The RV manufacturers are the ones that decide which slide system they are going to use in their vehicles.

As to cost folks on another forum reported installations in the range of 2400.00, they were however some of the first to get the slide installed and may have received a marketing discount.

The best option, which will;l never happen, is folks quit buying RVs that use a rack and pinion mechanism on a slide longer that 13 feet. If manufactures can't sell the RVs they will quit using the Schwintek system. Again, that will never happen because folks think it won't happen to them.
"Most folks think it won't happen to them". I disagree. "Most folks" couldn't identify a Schwintek slide if you posted a picture of a water slide, a playground slide, a slip-n-slide, and a Schwintek slide all in the same photo. If they happened to pick the correct object out of that lineup, most of those people couldn't tell when to use it or when not to use it.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 04:38 PM   #16
ctd

My experience with a Jayco super slide is the hack installation of the slide system. Does not matter what slide system if you do a horrible install. I corrected the manufacturer backyard home made install & the Schwintek has not skipped a beat. It uses four motors & tracks.

When the slide failed originally I was wished good luck repairing it. Being a Super Slide it was daunting to say the least. In the end Jayco owns responsibility with the horrible workmanship.
ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:01 PM   #17

My Lippert in wall system for my bedroom failed last weekend. I had to push the unit closed after it opened part way on one side but did not move on the other side. I removed the motor from the side that was not operating and was able to push it back in. Once I got home I pulled the H channel out and found that the drive rod had dropped down and was not engaging the coupling that transfers the motor rotation to the gears. I also found that the gears were installed upside down, and the top gibs had broken rivets and were not attached to the channel.

The drive rod is held in place by a couple of indentations that appear to be from a chisel. I made these bigger and got it so the rod will no longer drop through the top gear. Used rivet nuts to replace the rivets holding the gibs on and installed the gears in the correct orientation and aligned the s marks in the proper placement.

I am going to remove the other side as the top has always been tighter then the bottom and from what I found out if the s marks are not aligned correct this causes the gears to be off a slight amount which is amplified over the 4 ft distance between gear rails.

The main issue I see with the "Swintec" Lippert in wall system is the lack of ability to inspect it without removing the h channel..

You can not remove the motor without removing the mouting screw which is located outside 9 ft in the air. If the slide is closed and motor fails you can not push the slide out to get to the screw. Not sure how you can remove the motor without getting the mounting screw out.

It really is amazing what they charge for these parts. a rebuild kit with just the rollers, wipers and plastic wear strip is over $250.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:18 PM   #18

You are lucky it was your bedroom slide the shaft dropped out of. Mine was the kitchen slide and it feel out on the interstate. Slide opened a ft and shaft bent down under my wheel. Took me two days buying tools and cutting out the gib blocks to remove bent shaft. Finally could push it closed and used 2X4s to hold it closed. I am in Fl and this happened in Arkansas.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:33 PM   #19

Has anyone had the Vroom slide system installed in your rig? More specifically, has anyone had a Vroom slide system installed in a Melbourne 24L? I hold my breath every time I operate our slide…making sure the rig is level and follow the usual protocols for its operation.
rockymountainRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
You are lucky it was your bedroom slide the shaft dropped out of. Mine was the kitchen slide and it feel out on the interstate. Slide opened a ft and shaft bent down under my wheel. Took me two days buying tools and cutting out the gib blocks to remove bent shaft. Finally could push it closed and used 2X4s to hold it closed. I am in Fl and this happened in Arkansas.
Surprising that they expect a couple of chisel marks to prevent the shaft from dropping. A out side locking clip put in a groove would have prevented your and my failures. I guess that $2 bucks would have broken the profit margin.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote