Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #1

Performance Tuner

Has anyone used a performance tuner on their MH with the 6.7 Cummins ?
jack4540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:33 AM   #2

I haven’t but with diesels you have to be aware that bumping the HP and torque up may have a damaging effect on something else. For example the RAM 68RFE transmission is perfectly fine for stock towing, but once you bump up the HP and torque it has a tendency to go south very quickly
Old 03-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #3

Weak Acceleration

I only pull a Dodge Ram pickup, so I would definitely go for a little more power regardless of some possible towing side effects. This coach is really weak when you hit the accelerator. It's night and day different from my Cummins ISC engine.
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneeld52 View Post
I only pull a Dodge Ram pickup, so I would definitely go for a little more power regardless of some possible towing side effects. This coach is really weak when you hit the accelerator. It's night and day different from my Cummins ISC engine.
Have you tried the Performance mode on the transmission? I think the 2018.5 has it.
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #5

Also watch out if the tune is not a good one it can effect your aftertreatment system. No longer can you just dump a bunch of extra fuel and increase power. I have a programmer for my truck but until I buy new tunes from a good source I will not use the ones that came in the programmer.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #6

Put a "tune or tuner" on it WILL leave a "footprint" and that will void the engine/powertrain warranty. If you dont have any warranty or dont care, a 50hp tune is about the max things will put up with. More than that, you're just gonna find the next weakest link. And depending how much added hp and how heavy your right foot is will depend on how fast you find it.
I personally dont have any enhancements on my newer Dmax but I am looking very hard at a Banks Pedal Monster to get rid of the at times laggy pedal. Banks does have emissions compliant hp enhancements and have safety parameters built in to help from breaking things.
My 5.9 I have is LONG out of warranty and emissions were basically non existent on it back then. I built it from mild to wild and am my own repair shop.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Put a "tune or tuner" on it WILL leave a "footprint" and that will void the engine/powertrain warranty. If you dont have any warranty or dont care, a 50hp tune is about the max things will put up with. More than that, you're just gonna find the next weakest link. And depending how much added hp and how heavy your right foot is will depend on how fast you find it.
I personally dont have any enhancements on my newer Dmax but I am looking very hard at a Banks Pedal Monster to get rid of the at times laggy pedal. Banks does have emissions compliant hp enhancements and have safety parameters built in to help from breaking things.
My 5.9 I have is LONG out of warranty and emissions were basically non existent on it back then. I built it from mild to wild and am my own repair shop.

Actually it depends upon the engine you have. Older Duramax (2002-2004) a tune could be added and removed with no "footprint". Newer models that became a problem and it also depends upon what you tune. If you do a simple speedo, gas tank (DIC) correction, Magnuson-Moss covers you, or at least will protect you from GM's heavy hand. If you live in a state with emissions testing (Arizona) you will be checked, caught, flagged, and failed. They plug into your OBD when you go through testing.

Someone on another thread asked basically the same question and the bottom line is if you go nuts with torque and horse power you can plan on either building transmissions and drive trains to compensate or blow them up. It really does not matter how little you change things, there are consequences. It depends upon whether you want to pay them.

Custom tunes are best. EFI or a tune that someone does for your vehicle, for specific purposes. Banks has decent tunes but like most generic tunes, they are not specific and can be dirty, and dangerous.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote