Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2020, 11:16 PM   #1

Please Help - Hole in holding tank

2015 Jayco Seneca had a freak happening and got a pencil sized hole punch in a holding tank. It’s the smooth tank. The others have ridges. It’s in the middle Of the other tanks right over the rear axle.

I’m sick! They look impossible to change.

What are my options?
RL Wyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Something that's readily available to seal it is Flex Seal. The stuff you see on TV. That would be a fast fix, and if you wanted to do a different repair later, you could peel it off. That stuff will seal it even if it's still leaking.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #3

I agree, very impressed with the Flex Steel products. Used the tape the other day to seal an inflatable Paddle Board. Amazing Stuff!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:58 AM   #4

Epoxy putty. They sell it at Walmart. Mix the two parks together and plug up hole. Problem fixed for good. Area needs to be dry to apply. Good luck.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:43 AM   #5

Flex Seal products are one of the only "As seen on TV" line that actually work. The Tape is a close second to Eternabond at a lower cost...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:14 AM   #6

On a previous trailer I used Plasti Mend to patch my black water tank. I think it depends what the tank is made of. Anyway it kind of welds the surrounding area. It was going strong when I sold it.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #7

The tank is made of ABS plastic, there are kits out their for repairing holding tanks

I would consider JB-Weld. Might try a couple simulated patch on the side of the tank were it is easy to reach to see how it bonds to the plastic tank. One test patch just gob it on the tank as is. Next test, take a little sand paper and ruff up the tank wall a little.
After it is on and cured, I would place a little patch of eternabond over the top for good measures.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Wyman View Post
2015 Jayco Seneca had a freak happening and got a pencil sized hole punch in a holding tank. It’s the smooth tank. The others have ridges. It’s in the middle Of the other tanks right over the rear axle.

What are my options?

Oddly enough, years ago, I had a cracked grey tank that leaked badly and it was repaired simply with a hot glue gun and nothing else. It was a big crack and I never had another problem with it again.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #9

JB Weld makes several putty products that are carried at Home Depot. I've had very good success on plastics with the plastic & fiberglass repair version. It's a 2-part epoxy that comes in a clear plastic tube. You just pull off a plug the size you want, need it together until the color streaks disappear and it becomes warm. Then push it into the hole and let it cure (takes about an hour). I've use it to fix a couple of boo-boo's on my rig's fiberglass skin.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Wyman View Post

What are my options?
Welcome to the Forum.

How about just shoving a pencil in it? Seriously, I’d use JB Weld.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #11

I have repaired these types of scrapes and cracks on my trailer. JB Weld and other 2 part epoxies do not last. Google ABS plastic cement repair on holding tanks. That is your answer. You layer it with screen or cloth pieces, I can't remember. Similar to a fiberglass repair. It is the right material so it will be a permanent fix. That flex seal sounds interesting for the mean time though. Also the tank needs to sit and be completely dry to patch it, no SLOW drips. Mine was down near the valves and took forever to stop dripping completely. Don't sweat it, it can be fixed without replacing.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #12

"Flex Seal products are one of the only "As seen on TV" line that actually work. The Tape is a close second to Eternabond at a lower cost..."

Not sure its a lower price, just maybe a smaller quantity and more readily available (most Walmarts, Lowe's, Home Depot and Menard's). Don't hold me to the exact prices , but 50 ft of Eternabond for $80. 60 inches of Flex Seal for around $10. But if you only need 5 inches and you need it now, use Flex Seal.

Just my experience and your results may vary. ;-)
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:25 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
I once used a small sheet metal screw and a bike tire tube for a gasket on a fuel tank! Never had any more issues. Trick is to not over tighten on plastic! WARNING do not use this method on gas tank! I was a dumb kid!
frog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray water tank, hole, plastic fix