Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #1

Please help!New Tire Problems

HELP! 2018 Seneca- My Michelin’s date was getting close to the 5-year mark and showed minor cracking. I bought 6- Goodyear G670 RV MRT 275/80R22.5 149 L All Position Commercial Tire to replace them

The first shop that could mount them was an hour away and they could only balance them with beads- The ride was horrible, and the shop said I need to let the bags bust in the tire for the beads to disperse.

I found a local shop that would speed balance them. The technician told me that the two tires on the front had high variable radial runout, but he got it as close as he could. I test drove it and the issue was still there. Took it back and he suggest I get two new tires. Took them the new two tires and he speed balanced them. I test drove and same issue with vibration in the steering wheel and seat.

* I didn’t have any of these issues with the Michelin’s *

Frustrated I called Goodyear Commercial Tire Shop in Tampa and they suggested me bringing in and letting them make sure the tires were mounted properly and balance per Goodyears specifications.
They balanced all four of the rear tires and then the technician started on the front. Got the passenger tire balanced but was having a difficult time balancing the driver’s tire. The technician talked with the service manager, and they swapped the tire out and the technician said he was able to balance it.

Service manager told me to take it for a test drive and like before the same issue is present. Service manager is going to be speaking with his corporate contact and get back to me. He said it was safe for me to drive it home. 1 hour and 30 minutes of the shaking of the steering wheel/seat like a tire is unbalanced, home I go.

He did mention that if he gets it approved, he will swap all 5 of the other tires. At this point we have swapped out three of the tires on the front and still having this issue. I have already paid over $700 having these tires mounted balanced…..

Again, * I didn’t have any of these issues with the Michelin’s *
Appreciate any positive feedback on what is going on!
Pookieandsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #2

That sucks! Those are big expensive tires. Sounds like you have done all the normal things. How much balancing beads did they add to the tires? Per dyna bead, the fronts should have 10 ounces and the rear 12 ounces. Did the Goodyear shop add any rim weight or beads? I have beads in one of my Model T's. It was a night and day comparison in driving the car. I put them in my new truck tires shortly later, and had nothing but vibrations until I went back to rim weights. FYI, the bags burst really quickly, like before you have roll out of the shop.

It may seam weird, but it is normal for tires to be out of round. Now days it is a lot less common than in the past. I suspect these tires are way out of round. Might be a manufacturing defect or how they were stored/shipped. I would ask your tire shop if they have a way to measure the roundness (runout) of the tire. I would have them check both radial and lateral runout.

Out of round tire symptoms; Road noise from tires, Vibrations/shaking steering wheel, soft/wear spots in tire, uneven tread wear.

If they are out of round I would first try to get new tires under warranty. Then consider having the tires shaved. I do not hear of this to much any more. Now days it is most commonly done for summer car tires taken to the race track.

Do you have any machinist friends? If so, ask them if they can setup a indicator to measure the runout while the tire is on the front hub. Basically lift the front wheel off the ground, mount the indicator, and slowly spin the tire, and record the variability. I would take three measurements across the tread, and one lateral measurement perpendicular to the sidewall (rim).

Good luck

Dyna bead weight chart for MHs;
https://www.innovativebalancing.com/...ommercialChart

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote