Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2024, 02:26 PM   #1

Power Converter Breaker/Electrical Issue '14 Seneca

Took the Seneca out recently after a year or so of sitting plugged in to shore power and immediately had a problem with shore power at the camp site. Noticed smoke coming from the rear tv so I shut everything down. Checked incoming power to my transfer switch and everything was good. The transfer switch however was locked up and wouldn't engage for shore power. I fired up the generator and everything worked. So I limped through my trip using the batteries and got home ok.

Today I replaced the transfer switch. With all the breakers off, I turned on the main breaker and the transfer switch worked. I started turning on breakers one at a time and when I turned on the power converter breaker I heard some humming like a large amp draw. The breaker itself didn't trip, but the transfer switch disengaged.

I now have everything turned on with the exception of the power converter breaker and everything appears to be working on shore power.

What is the power converter and where is it likely located ('14 FS). Are they a common failure point? Perhaps the breaker itself went bad?
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  
Kwnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:21 PM   #2

It may be behind your electrical panel. Unplug the RV from shore, take off the front of the panel. See where the wire goes from the 20 amp breaker above the 50 amp breaker. If it goes out the back of the panel, then pull the panel out and see what is behind it.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwnate View Post
Took the Seneca out recently after a year or so of sitting plugged in to shore power and immediately had a problem with shore power at the camp site. Noticed smoke coming from the rear tv so I shut everything down. Checked incoming power to my transfer switch and everything was good. The transfer switch however was locked up and wouldn't engage for shore power. I fired up the generator and everything worked. So I limped through my trip using the batteries and got home ok.

Today I replaced the transfer switch. With all the breakers off, I turned on the main breaker and the transfer switch worked. I started turning on breakers one at a time and when I turned on the power converter breaker I heard some humming like a large amp draw. The breaker itself didn't trip, but the transfer switch disengaged.

I now have everything turned on with the exception of the power converter breaker and everything appears to be working on shore power.

What is the power converter and where is it likely located ('14 FS). Are they a common failure point? Perhaps the breaker itself went bad?
The converter is the lower portion of your main power center containing your 120-volt circuit breakers and the 12-volt fuses. In the attached picture it is the lower portion with the two fans. It is removeable from the power center for replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Power center with cover off.jpg  
Attached Images

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:44 PM   #4

Thank you! I'll uplug everything and start digging in.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:00 AM   #5

Update. I replaced the circuit breaker after I found the lug was loose/wiggling more than the others. Didn't get that lucky so I ordered a new power converter. Installed the power converter and everything is back operational.

Thanks to all that helped.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:37 PM   #6

Can you tell where you ordered it from. I think I may have the same issue
Psidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psidave View Post
Can you tell where you ordered it from. I think I may have the same issue
Search this on Amazon in case the link doesn't work.

Progressive Dynamics PD4590CSV Inteli-Power 4500 Series Replacement Converter Section - 90 Amp

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-P.../dp/B0039SY092
Old 05-14-2024, 08:16 PM   #8

Thanks. I did some troubleshooting and found TS has no output on one leg.
Psidave is offline   Reply With Quote