Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2021, 11:33 PM   #1

Power Cord Reel Toes Up

My Power Cord Reel came to a grinding stop and no longer works. Has a anyone had to replace their power cord reel? Any suggestions?

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #2

Our 5th didn’t come with a reel and after wrestling the 50A cord in cold weather I went shopping for one. I selected a hand crank model and it’s been flawless since 2015. See if you can figure out who made it and a model # and search the I’net for parts.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #3

Our 2016 Seneca 37FS came with one and it failed while under warranty. Until we could get it fixed I dealt with dragging the cord in and out through the storage compartment floor opening for the cord each time we tore down and setup camp. It was eventually replaced under warranty. I swore at the time, if it ever broke after the warranty ran out, I'd never replace it. After about another year and a half it failed again. Now we weren't under warranty. That sucker is gone. One of the best decisions I ever made.

The real was replaced with a short pigtail. The cord on the real was made into an extension cord by putting a 50 female plug on the end. Lots more space in the storage compartment. Surge protector is now safely locked in the compartment between the pigtail and the 50 amp extension cord. If our power choice is only 30 amps, all the conversion adapters are safely kept in the storage compartment. The coiled up extension cord has never failed.

Under the K.I.S.S. principal, there has never been a reported problem with the power windows on a Model T. The idea is to have fun, relax, not stress over unnecessary equipment that doesn't work.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:14 PM   #4

My power reel failed early and was replaced under warranty. If it fails again I will do what rgolding did. The reel is slow and requires more work to get it in and out. When moving sites in the same park I just coil it up and don’t even use the reel. Rustynuts modified his unit and it appears to be a much better design which might be an option but I think simple is going to be the way I go.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
My power reel failed early and was replaced under warranty. If it fails again I will do what rgolding did. The reel is slow and requires more work to get it in and out. When moving sites in the same park I just coil it up and don’t even use the reel. Rustynuts modified his unit and it appears to be a much better design which might be an option but I think simple is going to be the way I go.
Mine failed under warranty. Don't use the new one ... just coil it. The reels are complete junk IMO.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #6

Mine failed the day I took delivery. Replaced at the Jayco Factory Service Center last year and it has worked flawlessly since.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #7

The power reels are only to assist with the reeling up of the cord as you feed it, they are not meant to wind the cord under its own power...that kills them fast.

I have removed mine a couple times to get it out of the way for other work. Mine is held up to the ceiling of the compartment with four 1/4" nuts, there are the two 12volt power wires and then under the side cover are the power wires connected to lugs that are held on by 1/4" nuts. It is easier to remove the nuts than remove the wire from the lugs. When removing it, its best to extend the whole cord out o reduce the weight as its heavy with the cord on it.
Attached Thumbnails
i-QZv6mbg-X2.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:56 PM   #8

For ours... Still a 2015 reel... worked in 102F weather this morning...

but there is something to say about how we use it... I set the cord up just outside of the cord bay and help it from straining a lot... It still works, and I have torn that junction box apart one day for fun... just to understand how to bypass it in times of need.

Knocking on wood...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:45 AM   #9

Thank you everyone. After thinking about it and not wanting to spend 600 for a new one, it’s coming out.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
Old 06-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMigra View Post
Thank you everyone. After thinking about it and not wanting to spend 600 for a new one, it’s coming out.

Have you contacted Southwire about it? I have heard they are pretty good about covering these under warranty. Cant hurt to check.

https://rvpower.southwire.com/ask-an-expert/

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:48 AM   #11

I never thought about contacting them directly until your thread. Using the link you provided, I send them an email.

Thank you for your help!

Old 06-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #12

Agree with SlowPoke's assessment. After a couple usages, where I was causing stress on the reel by trying to power wind through the bottom cut out, I determined that those things are not going to last with a) too much torque, or b) tight torque angles. Now I always religiously pull it out 100%, feed it through the pass-thru manually, and then set up camp. Reverse order for tear down. Just guide it in like silk...slow and easy!

My 2cents.

Tim
-------
2021 Seneca 37K
2021 Jeep Wrangler, Sahara, 4XE
T-CURR503&425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #13

Where did you buy the hand crank and where did you install it in your 5th wheel?
RLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Bauernfeind
3 time failure

Warranty replaced it twice and now it's not covered anymore under extended warranty! I've laid on the ground several times hand-rolling that wire back on the reel. Why did they not add an exterior access point for manual operation? If it goes again, it's gone I'll just have to figure out how.
Bauernfeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #15

RLow

What brand hand reel and where did you install?
Old 06-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Bauernfeind
No I did not install one, I was advocating for them adding a manual hand reel.
Bauernfeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #17

Thanks
Old 06-23-2021, 12:36 PM   #18

Perhaps related -

My 30A cord gets shoved through a mouse hole into the pretty much inaccessible internal cord tangler. After a couple of difficult experiences, I modified the mouse hole hardware so I can more easily remove it to untangle the cord if needed.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #19
JCM

Take it apart and clean it and lube it. Take numerous pictures as you take it apart.
JCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #20

My HT 5er didn't come with a reel, so I purchased two MorRyde hand reels. One for my power cord and one for the extension cord. I mounted one on each side of my lower storage, right in front of the doors, off to the side. I run the power cord out the left side, under the RV, to the plug on the right side. Then run it up through the hole into the basement to my EMS. Then unreel the extension cord from the other side and run it through the right side hole under the plumbing convenience center into the basement to the other side of the EMS, and plug into the pedestal/power pole. This way my EMS is out of the rain (had one blow in a rain/wind storm once), and it is secure from theft. Has worked well for four years now. Yes, when I reel them up I pull them out of the holes first (modified the plastic cover things), then reel them up. I believe I paid around $50 a piece. Hope this helps and Happy camping!
qs271a is offline   Reply With Quote