Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2021, 03:56 PM   #1

Power issue

The power to the refrigerator, microwave, chairs, and TV is going off from 40 minutes to 15 hours. Sometimes when using the microwave but mostly only the refrigerator an TV are on. I had an electrician check the breakers and they are fine and do not trip. This happens intermittently sometimes goes a week or more and sometimes two or three times in a day. I tried switching to the generator, starting the truck but the power stays off. Any ideas?
Ron Worley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #2

Welcome aboard!

What model and year MH do you have? I am suspecting it might have something to do with the power management system if you have one. Anything else running/fail like general outlets around the MH? What about the AC units, are they running when this happens? Do you have a residential frig or dual fuel absorption frig? Do you have an inverter?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #3

I agree that it could be the power management system since those items should have nothing in common including using the same breaker. Take a look at your breaker panel and see if there are separate breakers for these items.

Basically the power comes in from the shore or generator and goes through a transfer switch. If you lose ALL 120 volt power at the same time I would verify you don't have any loose connections inside the transfer switch.

If only certain items fail while others still work, you should look for what is in common to those items.

I have attached a couple of documents that may shed light on how things work and how you can troubleshoot them. The RV Electrical Troubleshooting document explains the power management system.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 13 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:32 PM   #4
Drv

If you have a 2020 or newer Seneca/Accolade I believe the items you listed all run through your invertor circuit as well. Have you checked the invertor connections/ tested invertor?
Drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:29 PM   #5

Power issue

I was contacted by the manufacturer and they suggested that it sounded like a loose connection. Shortly later the power went out again. I went out and looked at the connection going into the inverter. I messed with the connector and the power came on and off, so I loosen up the connector, pushed the wires together and retighten the connector and so far that seems to have solved the problem. Thanks for all the support.
Ron Worley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #6

Time for a new electrician that knows how to troubleshoot. Every connection needs to be checked from the Shore power ped all the way back IN ORDER to the main circuit breaker box. PED to Breaker box. Every connection. My money is on loose/burned connections.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Worley View Post
I was contacted by the manufacturer and they suggested that it sounded like a loose connection. Shortly later the power went out again. I went out and looked at the connection going into the inverter. I messed with the connector and the power came on and off, so I loosen up the connector, pushed the wires together and retighten the connector and so far that seems to have solved the problem. Thanks for all the support.
I would not call that a solved problem until the rig was powered down and those connections were verified.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:36 PM   #8

go back and follow the directions in post #6.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #9

Inverter Power

At least in the 18.5 model those items plus microwave and outside entertainment center (w/e 12v refrigerator, except 120v ice maker) are powered by the inverter. It will shut down on low voltage. Check the inverter instruction booklet for details on its settings and operation. The inverter powered items are fed thru a separate breaker panel on the master bed base and typically have a dedicated outlet near equipment served. Starting the generator will energize the inverter and feed those items through its internal AC bypass until DC voltage reaches the inverter cut off point.

I usually shut unneeded equipment to extend battery life when boondocking.
JohnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:04 PM   #10

go back and follow the directions in post #8.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote