Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2023, 09:58 PM   #1

Preferred wax

Any recommendations on wax? Mine is a 2019, black/silver, paint looks great, has a few water stains on the sides coming down. Thinking of buffing the entire rig with a Dewalt orbital buffer. First time with gel paint though and don't want to damage. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2023, 11:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by our1strv View Post
Any recommendations on wax? Mine is a 2019, black/silver, paint looks great, has a few water stains on the sides coming down. Thinking of buffing the entire rig with a Dewalt orbital buffer. First time with gel paint though and don't want to damage. Thanks in advance!
A great easy to use wax is Collinite #845, I was using it before I Ceramic Coated mine. Be VERY careful with a buffer as the paint can be very thin in spots, especially on edges. I used Chemical Guys V36 to remove scratches and swirls and the V38 for final polish and then wax, later I went to a ceramic coating. If you do use Collinite, warm it up first to make it liquid from a paste, easiest is to set the bottle in a pan of warm water. I’m not sure what you mean by Gel Paint as the Seneca is finished with a standard automotive paint with a clear coat.
Attached Thumbnails
VvR4B6V-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:22 AM   #3

Turtle Wax 53410 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wet Wax - 26 Fl Oz.

Easy to apply and lasts a long time (like the whole season)! Best part is that you can spray it on anything, it wont turn black parts white or harm plastic parts.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
Turtle Wax 53410 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wet Wax - 26 Fl Oz.

Easy to apply and lasts a long time (like the whole season)! Best part is that you can spray it on anything, it wont turn black parts white or harm plastic parts.
X2 on the Turtle Wax. Easy. I apply with a sponge mop, no ladders, and against directions, I don't wipe it off. Makes plastic trim look better, tires, good stuff. Price has doubled since I first used it, but a bottle does my 36' 5er 2 times easily.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:38 AM   #5

I’m a fan of Meguires products. They are commercial grade and they offer a really good support service where you can call or chat with them with questions about your specific situation. I’m no detail expert but it sounds like you could be looking at a 3 step process (restore with a compound, shine with a polish then protect with a wax). I agree a buffer is necessary on a travel trailer. As mentioned be careful especially with higher RPM buffers.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:32 PM   #6

I was thinking gel coat was the paint on the rv for some reason. I thought I read it doesn't completely dry and is flexible on the Seneca's?
Old 05-09-2023, 05:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by our1strv View Post
I was thinking gel coat was the paint on the rv for some reason. I thought I read it doesn't completely dry and is flexible on the Seneca's?
You are basically right that the gel coat is the "paint" on the exterior of your RV. Fiberglass gel coat is less than 1/32” thick, and it's bonded directly to the fiberglass surface. Same way fiberglass boats are made. The gel coat protects the fiberglass and resin construction ( composite ) from UV rays which would deteriorate the composite construction of your trailer shell. Gel coat is made with the same type of resin base as used in the composite of your trailer. Instead of fiberglass for support the gel coat uses UV protectants, mineral fillers, tinting for color and flex agents to make the outside of the composites more durable.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:08 AM   #8

The Seneca's are full body paint, not an exposed Gel Coat exterior. Most travel trailers are Gel Coat. Seneca's are painted with Sikkens brand paint.
Make sure when you wash it you use a Automotive type car wash soap.

I have had good results with Meguiars Cleaner wax for small scratches etc then use the Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray or Lucas Speed Wax for quick detail between hand/machine wax.

I have also used NuFinish on a few that has worked good.