Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Smile Prestige 31FSP or Seneca 37FS

Hi, All. Recently joined and have been amazed at how generous everyone is with information! Have been filling a notebook with information! Thanks! We have had pop-ups and TT (on our 2nd hybrid TT now), but starting to feel our ages and have decided to purchase a class C. We are looking at the Prestige and the Seneca with the bunkroom. Does anyone have these? Are you happy with them? We will be newbies to the MH world, so we are open to any and all advise! Thank you in advance!
Y
mcemom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #2

Hi to you. Welcome to the forum and happy MH shopping.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #3

You should look at Entegra Esteem 31L as well, it's a rebadged 31FSP.

I just bought one, coming from a Lance TT. It's ok, the quality and attention to detail is quite disappointing but I think you will find that will all models.

Can't get my 2 kids to sleep in the bunks, they both want to sit above the cab and stare out the window and sleep up there!
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #4

Ours isn’t a bunk model but is a Prestige and we have been very happy with it. No major problems and very few fixes by me have been needed. We just returned from a 2000 mile journey to Colorado and couldn’t be more pleased with the performance even in the mountains pulling our Jeep 4 door Rubicon Recon. Seriously we have nothing to complain about!
Attached Thumbnails
843DA4D1-DCDD-421F-98ED-FFD6A10A6156.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #5

31fsp and 31fp

You may want to take a look at the 31fp a new floor plan for 2019. Has a full wall slide with bunks.
rmeyer_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeyer_55 View Post
You may want to take a look at the 31fp a new floor plan for 2019. Has a full wall slide with bunks.
I shudder just thinking about the issues someone buying the first year of a new Jayco floor plan will have.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #7

Personally, I would stay away from any floorplans that have plumbing or appliances in a slide out.

Been there done that and it's just asking for problems. If the refrigerator is in a slide then the builder can't use a roof vent so the unit won't work properly without rear cooling fans and then it's debatable.

Plumbing is another story...can you say leak prone! Moving plumbing in and out of a slide is asking for problems.

We selected our 29 MVP based on a lot of factors but one huge one was that the bathroom is not in a slide so no plumbing in and out and the kitchen and all appliances are not in a slide so no plumbing or potential issues there.

I also don't like the full wall slides...too much weight for the motors and think about the big hole in the side of the motorhome where that slide goes in and out. It weakens the structure of the motorhome. If you have two separate there is a support between them in the main structure. Adjustment is also difficult on a full wall slide.

These are just my opinions and experience. I know many who own the above and have had little or no issues...It's just why take that chance?

Make sure when looking that you can get around inside with the slides in while traveling. This was another main consideration we had. Everything is usable while underway except a couple of drawers below the bedroom closet where the foot of the mattress butts when the slides are in. Everything else is accessible and usable. We can even stop for the night and not extend any slides and be comfortable.

Many things to consider...pick your flavor and go make some memories! That's the most important part.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:11 AM   #8

Pretty big difference between the two in terms of size, frames, construction, etc right?
Old 09-08-2018, 05:20 AM   #9

Big difference between a 31 foot gasser and a 37FS. I have little experience with the Class C's. We've basically lived and traveled in a Seneca 37FS Super C, since October, 2015. 58,000 miles and very pleased with what we have. The 37FS is on a Freightliner M2 frame and it looks like a truck, drives like a truck and is serviced like a truck. Absolute confidence in Freightliner and their ability to keep us going down the road, from tires to pulling ability. We pull a Silverado pickup with a bed camper shell, that allows us to load and haul 1/8 scale ride on model railroad equipment. We also do rodeos with our son's family and the Seneca does its job.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:21 AM   #10

Gas vs diesel, ford f450 vs freightliner M2, 7500 lbs towing vs 10,000

The M2 is a rock solid chassis and the standard for a super C. It is a true medium duty truck. The 450 is a much lighter frame truck and is “built” up from a 1 ton series.

Decide the size and weight carrying needs first and then the model
Old 09-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #11

Don't you need a CDL to drive a Seneca? I have a CDL but many with motorhomes don't.

Also, the OP mentioned moving from a TT to a Class C and never has owned a motorhome before. I would highly suggest starting with something like a Greyhawk Prestige for a easier transition.

Gas vs diesel...maintenance is cheaper and like any other vehicle he has owned, no air brakes to worry about, all the systems are the same as he had in his TT, cost of ownership and insurance is cheaper, bigger market for resale if he decides he needs a different floorplan or more room down the road, Ford chassis is easy to get parts for and most any mechanic can work on them.

Don't get me wrong I love the Seneca's but if it's not going to be on the road more than sitting then it's hard to justify. I owned a Country Coach with a 400hp Cat back in the day. Loved the thing but just too expensive for occasional use.

Our Greyhawk 29MVP Prestige can do everything we did in the Country Coach but much cheaper per mile driven and we like the easy of use and size of the Greyhawk. It's just hard to justify the cost of a big diesel rig if your not fulltiming. I know the Super C's are not as bad a Class A diesels cost wise but it still applies.

Don't be worried about the Ford V-10...it's a beast. With the new 6 speed and tow/haul it does very well even pulling our Jeep 4 door Rubicon Recon in the Colorado mountains. I have never felt it was underpowered. It likes gas but what motorhome doesn't? We get about 7mpg or about 400 miles per tank which is all we want to drive in a day usually. The tow/haul mode in the transmission works great holding speed on hills up or down.

The interior of the Presitge is very nice and comfortable. The upgrades for the Prestige are many and include...ceramic toilet, Blue Ray player, 3 Insginia TV's (one outside), upgraded cabinets with hidden hinges, upgraded front seats, upgraded deco and cushions, front window on cap and others you will notice here and there. It was worth the upgrade to the Prestige for sure.

Both the Seneca and Prestige are great choices in their own way...it really depends on the use and how deep your pockets are.

There have been good comments here by others to help you. Never easy to take that plunge...hope you find exactly what your looking for and have many miles of enjoyment!
Old 09-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #12

We put about 10k each year on our '14 37FS doing short (300mi) and at least one long trip (2000mi). Owning a TDI audi puts my view of expense in a different light than others, but I just had fuel/oil filters changed on the main for $230, which is an absolute bargain over the Q5 @ $500+ per maintenance. I get 10mpg and my diesel is roughly similar to gas per gallon. I find the cost of owership on mine to be very fair. The stability on the road and the cummins is just a joy to have. Couple that with a mentality of "weight is a sign of reliability" and the decision to go with a Seneca has never been a regret.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #13

Thank you all! I appreciate the information!
Old 09-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Don't you need a CDL to drive a Seneca? I have a CDL but many with motorhomes don't.

Also, the OP mentioned moving from a TT to a Class C and never has owned a motorhome before. I would highly suggest starting with something like a Greyhawk Prestige for a easier transition.

Gas vs diesel...maintenance is cheaper and like any other vehicle he has owned, no air brakes to worry about, all the systems are the same as he had in his TT, cost of ownership and insurance is cheaper, bigger market for resale if he decides he needs a different floorplan or more room down the road, Ford chassis is easy to get parts for and most any mechanic can work on them.

Don't get me wrong I love the Seneca's but if it's not going to be on the road more than sitting then it's hard to justify. I owned a Country Coach with a 400hp Cat back in the day. Loved the thing but just too expensive for occasional use.

Our Greyhawk 29MVP Prestige can do everything we did in the Country Coach but much cheaper per mile driven and we like the easy of use and size of the Greyhawk. It's just hard to justify the cost of a big diesel rig if your not fulltiming. I know the Super C's are not as bad a Class A diesels cost wise but it still applies.

Don't be worried about the Ford V-10...it's a beast. With the new 6 speed and tow/haul it does very well even pulling our Jeep 4 door Rubicon Recon in the Colorado mountains. I have never felt it was underpowered. It likes gas but what motorhome doesn't? We get about 7mpg or about 400 miles per tank which is all we want to drive in a day usually. The tow/haul mode in the transmission works great holding speed on hills up or down.

The interior of the Presitge is very nice and comfortable. The upgrades for the Prestige are many and include...ceramic toilet, Blue Ray player, 3 Insginia TV's (one outside), upgraded cabinets with hidden hinges, upgraded front seats, upgraded deco and cushions, front window on cap and others you will notice here and there. It was worth the upgrade to the Prestige for sure.

Both the Seneca and Prestige are great choices in their own way...it really depends on the use and how deep your pockets are.

There have been good comments here by others to help you. Never easy to take that plunge...hope you find exactly what your looking for and have many miles of enjoyment!
No CDL needed for the Seneca (thankfully). We have never owned a Super C, however, hubbie spent 30 years driving firetrucks of all sizes through the streets of NYC, so we are confident he can transition easily. He is recently retired, so the intention is to spend quite a bit of time on the road. We will not be full-timing as we still have 3 college students at home, but numerous trips per year are planned.

Which is why we are torn between the Prestige and the Seneca. Was assuming "durability" of Seneca would be superior, but, of course, the price certainly makes me think. However, the intention is to keep this purchase for the next decade (or more!) and am concerned about durability vs. price.

May I ask what year your Prestige is? We are just hearing all sorts of stories about the newer models. Of course, I am hearing stories about every make/model of RV right now, so it is unfair to aim that question just at the Prestige. I love the floorplans of both. Glad to hear the Ford can handle it! Our toad would be a cherokee, so didn't want to find out the Ford couldn't handle toad+hill. Thank you, that's really good to hear!
Y
Old 09-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Ours isn’t a bunk model but is a Prestige and we have been very happy with it. No major problems and very few fixes by me have been needed. We just returned from a 2000 mile journey to Colorado and couldn’t be more pleased with the performance even in the mountains pulling our Jeep 4 door Rubicon Recon. Seriously we have nothing to complain about!
Thank you! We have been seriously considering the Prestige. Glad to hear yours is being good to you. Our toad would be a cherokee, so it's great to hear yours doesn't mind the toad on the steeps!
Old 09-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
We put about 10k each year on our '14 37FS doing short (300mi) and at least one long trip (2000mi). Owning a TDI audi puts my view of expense in a different light than others, but I just had fuel/oil filters changed on the main for $230, which is an absolute bargain over the Q5 @ $500+ per maintenance. I get 10mpg and my diesel is roughly similar to gas per gallon. I find the cost of owership on mine to be very fair. The stability on the road and the cummins is just a joy to have. Couple that with a mentality of "weight is a sign of reliability" and the decision to go with a Seneca has never been a regret.
The beast mode of the Seneca diesel is exactly why we are considering the higher price bracket vs the Prestige. That Cummins is hard to resist. Thank you for the info. It is good to hear you're enjoying yours!
Old 09-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #17

You ask what year our Prestige is...2018. I wasn't aware of the Firetruck experience which makes a big difference in abilities. I would still look at them both and try to test drive them.

Don't be too concerned about quality. Most have few if any major problems. Be sure you have a good dealer just in case but remember people come to the forums to vent not to offer thanks.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #18

If you can afford the Seneca, it's a no brainer....Go with the Seneca. It's a much higher end rig.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcemom3 View Post
We have never owned a Super C, however, hubbie spent 30 years driving firetrucks of all sizes through the streets of NYC, so we are confident he can transition easily. He is recently retired, so the intention is to spend quite a bit of time on the road. We will not be full-timing as we still have 3 college students at home, but numerous trips per year are planned.

Which is why we are torn between the Prestige and the Seneca. Was assuming "durability" of Seneca would be superior, but, of course, the price certainly makes me think. However, the intention is to keep this purchase for the next decade (or more!) and am concerned about durability vs. price.
You make two points that resonate with us and what helped us make our choice. ...
"Intention to spend quite a bit of time on the road"

"the intention is to keep this purchase for the next decade (or more!)".

Before our Seneca, we had a smaller C-Class motorhome, used it a lot and enjoyed it a lot too.. DW finally said that she wanted something a little bit bigger, we saw the opportunity to go for the end game and skip the 32's and spend the extra to get the Seneca. That way we did not need to worry about how long it would be before buying then next bigger one.

And for those who might ask: Why did you get a Seneca instead of the Renegade Ikon? It's all about the floorplan and the AC/Propane fridge! (but sure would love the 30k# towing capacity)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #20

Seneca vs Ikon...might be a couple of dollars difference in price! Lol[emoji857][emoji857][emoji857][emoji857]