Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #1

Quick question

Having only had inverters and not an inverter/charger before, do I need to turn on my inverter (either at the remote panel or directly) for the batteries to charge while plugged in or running the generator?

In other words, when I press the switch on the Xantrex to off, is it still working as a battery charger?

Thanks,
Jim

Edit: I have read the manual, still unclear to my Tennessee public school brain
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 03:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyFluffer View Post
Having only had inverters and not an inverter/charger before, do I need to turn on my inverter (either at the remote panel or directly) for the batteries to charge while plugged in or running the generator?

In other words, when I press the switch on the Xantrex to off, is it still working as a battery charger?

Thanks,
Jim

Edit: I have read the manual, still unclear to my Tennessee public school brain
What inverter are they putting in now? It gets harder to help as they keep using different units. Most of the smaller 2k that they have used in the past don’t have a charger in them. The charger unit is usually in the main breaker/fuse panel.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #3

Always a good idea to add your make, model and year RV to your signature when asking questions to get best advice. Also, brand and model of appliance when asking an appliance (inverter) specific question to get best advice.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
What inverter are they putting in now? It gets harder to help as they keep using different units. Most of the smaller 2k that they have used in the past don’t have a charger in them. The charger unit is usually in the main breaker/fuse panel.
Good point and I will followup in the morning. I'm simply reading the Accolade specific manual tonight and it only mentions an Inverter/Charger and not a converter. I do realize that many RV manuals are generic, but it's odd there is no mention of a converter.

If it is an Inverter/Charger, should I be turning this on to charge the batteries? Or will they charge regardless? I can call NIRVC Monday I suppose, just hoping for a quick answer.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Always a good idea to add your make, model and year RV to your signature when asking questions to get best advice. Also, brand and model of appliance when asking an appliance (inverter) specific question to get best advice.
Thanks Roger. I did that a few days ago and it looks like it didn't save. Fingers crossed it takes this time. Thanks for pointing that out.
All I know at the moment is that it's a Xantrex 2000. Tomorrow I'll be contortions myself to try to read the model number.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #6
Site Team

DonkeyFluffer, you can click on your "user cp", then on "edit signature" to add information that will appear at the bottom of your posts.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
DonkeyFluffer, you can click on your "user cp", then on "edit signature" to add information that will appear at the bottom of your posts.
Thank you, but alas, I only have a cell phone and haven't owned a computer in over a decade, so I don't get some of those options. I did manage to save my RV info.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:20 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you, but alas, I only have a cell phone and haven't owned a computer in over a decade, so I don't get some of those options. I did manage to save my RV info.
Thanks, now I see why.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
FJB

Even if it’s off. When plugged in the batteries will charge
FJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB View Post
Even if it’s off. When plugged in the batteries will charge
Thank you FJB. Really appreciate it
Old 12-26-2021, 08:07 PM   #11

Dont feel bad, my laptop was on its last leg years ago and the battery replacement is more expensive than the laptop is worth. I use whatever the internet browser is that came on my android. Everything fits the screen but there are no member signatures at the bottom of posts to be seen and no thanks tabs. If I click on desktop site some stuff comes on like a normal desktop would show but you have to magnify things so much to see them you need like 3 phone screens to see everything. Kind of a pia really.
Anyway, back to OP's original question of the inverter charging,... yes, on the control panel for your inverter the button has to be on. However, you need to take a look see at your inverter and see what model it actually is. My Northpoint came with a Xantrex inverter. Regardless if the control panel button was on or off it did not charger the batteries because it did not have the charging feature in it. I contacted Xantrex about this and got the correct inverter for what I needed. Mine is a XC model. "C" meaning it has the battery charging feature in it. Plugged into shore power the control panel button can be off and my residential fridge still works but no battery charging. Button has to be on for the inverter to charge the batteries connected to it.
My old original inverter was a Xantrex pro XM1000, the new one I got is a Xantrex Freedom XC1000.
The freedom also is a PURE sinewave vs the pro being a MODIFIED sinewave. Pure is better for electronics.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Dont feel bad, my laptop was on its last leg years ago and the battery replacement is more expensive than the laptop is worth. I use whatever the internet browser is that came on my android. Everything fits the screen but there are no member signatures at the bottom of posts to be seen and no thanks tabs. If I click on desktop site some stuff comes on like a normal desktop would show but you have to magnify things so much to see them you need like 3 phone screens to see everything. Kind of a pia really.
Anyway, back to OP's original question of the inverter charging,... yes, on the control panel for your inverter the button has to be on. However, you need to take a look see at your inverter and see what model it actually is. My Northpoint came with a Xantrex inverter. Regardless if the control panel button was on or off it did not charger the batteries because it did not have the charging feature in it. I contacted Xantrex about this and got the correct inverter for what I needed. Mine is a XC model. "C" meaning it has the battery charging feature in it. Plugged into shore power the control panel button can be off and my residential fridge still works but no battery charging. Button has to be on for the inverter to charge the batteries connected to it.
My old original inverter was a Xantrex pro XM1000, the new one I got is a Xantrex Freedom XC1000.
The freedom also is a PURE sinewave vs the pro being a MODIFIED sinewave. Pure is better for electronics.
Okay, I looked at it today. Xantrex Freedom X 2000. So, going by that name, it's not a charger just a PSW inverter. I didn't find a converter under my bed at least nothing that looked like any previous converters I've had in my motorhomes, so tomorrow I'll be looking in the second bay under that wooden box top.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Okay, I looked at it today. Xantrex Freedom X 2000. So, going by that name, it's not a charger just a PSW inverter. I didn't find a converter under my bed at least nothing that looked like any previous converters I've had in my motorhomes, so tomorrow I'll be looking in the second bay under that wooden box top.
The converter is inside of the main breaker/fuse panel, in the bottom of the unit. You have to remove the front cover to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
49E479B2-BC24-4172-9BB3-8E2A88AD004E.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #14

Correct, the Freedom X is just an inverter.
Old 12-27-2021, 12:04 AM   #15

Thanks Rustynuts. I saw the fuse panel but didn't see the converter was at the bottom. I'll head back out tomorrow.