Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #1

Residential Refrigerator in 2019 Seneca

We're thinking of buying a Seneca and I'm curious what model refrigerator Jayco puts in the new Senecas? I'm actually fairly comfortable with the LP absorption refrigerators and I'm wondering what the current draw is on the residential unit.

Thanks!
Patrick
1999 Jeep Wrangler
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Foxtrot View Post
We're thinking of buying a Seneca and I'm curious what model refrigerator Jayco puts in the new Senecas? I'm actually fairly comfortable with the LP absorption refrigerators and I'm wondering what the current draw is on the residential unit.

Thanks!
Patrick
Whirlpool...works great!!!
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:35 AM   #3

If you order new, certain Seneca floor plans can have a 12-cubic foot absorbtion refrigerator as an "option" if you plan to boondock. I can relate that I am very happy with my Norcold after the addition of my Fridge Fix fan system in my '14 TS.

If I had a solar setup I might consider a residential unit in my "next" rig since we still plan to camp off the grid periodically. I suspect Jayco's market research told them most Seneca owners camp where shore power is readily available, hence the residential offering.

I wonder what the real cost difference between the two refrigerator types boils down to?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I wonder what the real cost difference between the two refrigerator types boils down to?
Me thinks Jayco is making $$$ by offering the residential over the Norcold. The Norcold's are way more complicated/expensive than your typical Frigidaire.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Me thinks Jayco is making $$$ by offering the residential over the Norcold. The Norcold's are way more complicated/expensive than your typical Frigidaire.
It's based on what "customers want" and most are wanting residential.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
If you order new, certain Seneca floor plans can have a 12-cubic foot absorbtion refrigerator as an "option" if you plan to boondock. I can relate that I am very happy with my Norcold after the addition of my Fridge Fix fan system in my '14 TS.

If I had a solar setup I might consider a residential unit in my "next" rig since we still plan to camp off the grid periodically. I suspect Jayco's market research told them most Seneca owners camp where shore power is readily available, hence the residential offering.
If that were the logic... next year the Seneca will come with only 200AH of coach batteries! Who needs any batteries when the rig will always be hooked to shore power everywhere, or on running on Genny all day and night?

If we were looking at a new Seneca, it will have a AC/Propane fridge. We have had a few trips ruined over the past 30 years when the fridge went on the fritz (or we did not get leveled correctly) Nothing like having spoiled food on a week/month long adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
That was my first thought... and then I thought it must be about the overall capacity. The Norcold we have in our Seneca has plenty of capacity for us - we lived a full 6-months in our Seneca and never yet have filled it up. Our closest we have gotten was prepping for a 10-day trip in the back-country where we had to have everything with us on departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's based on what "customers want" and most are wanting residential.
Based on this and many of the questions we get on the forum... Why is that?

I have boondocked with a few friends that have the Res-Fridges, and they keep coming over to our rig and looking at our fridge in awe. They even have 200W of solar on their rig and have to run their generator more than we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Whirlpool...works great!!!
What is the exact model number??? I would like to look at the defrost control system logic.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #7

i JUST BOUGHT A NEW SENACA WITH THE RESIDENTIAL FRIDGE AND LIKE EVERYTHING SO FAR BUT THE RH DOOR ALREADY DENTED BY OPENING INTO THE POCKET DOOR LATCH ....IT HIT THE FIRST TIME AND NOW A DENT....POOR DESIGN BUT A NICE FRIDGE
okie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie58 View Post
i JUST BOUGHT A NEW SENACA WITH THE RESIDENTIAL FRIDGE AND LIKE EVERYTHING SO FAR BUT THE RH DOOR ALREADY DENTED BY OPENING INTO THE POCKET DOOR LATCH ....IT HIT THE FIRST TIME AND NOW A DENT....POOR DESIGN BUT A NICE FRIDGE
Congratulations on the new Seneca and welcome to the forum!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Congratulations on your purchase! Which floor plan did you get?
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Most residential fridge doors can be mounted right opening or left opening. Change yours, problem solved.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote