Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #1

Rotten Egg Smell with Hot Water Use

We have tried everything (flush tanks, lines, use chemicals, etc) we can think of and STILL have an issue with a HORRIBLE rotten egg smell coming from the back bedroom when using hot water in the kitchen sink or half bath sink We have a 2021 Jayco Seneca 37K with the Girard Tankless Water Heater. So we don't have the Anode Rod to replace as most folks have suggested we do. Anyone else have this issue? Is there a fix? I can't take it any longer!
Jormads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #2

Sulfate gas is what you're smelling. It's the water reacting to the TWH. Is this smell consistent? Do you use other water supplies with the same result?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #3

Welcome aboard!

My experience has always included a water heater tank. You have a tankless, and I do not suspect your water heater being directly the culprit as the water is not in it for very long just cooking away like a tanked system.

What chemicals have you used? Can you explain your process to flush and to use the chemicals.

Where do you get your water from? Some water sources have a higher tendency to create this issue.

How long does the water sit in your pipes between trips?

What are you using for a water filter cartridge? How often do you replace it?

Lots of question, hopefully we can help you

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #4

It smells like sulfur water/rotten eggs. I am not sure of the technical term. No issues when we take a hot shower or use the rear bath sink. On and off when we use the Kitchen Sink and half bath sink. Very random as well. I can use it and nothing happens. My husband uses it 30 minutes later and the bedroom stinks. I've had my nose in all vents in the bedroom with no luck pinpoint where odor is emitting from.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Welcome aboard!

My experience has always included a water heater tank. You have a tankless, and I do not suspect your water heater being directly the culprit as the water is not in it for very long just cooking away like a tanked system.

What chemicals have you used? Can you explain your process to flush and to use the chemicals.

We use TST Grey Tank and TST Toilet. By flush, my husband opens up valves and water comes out. We let it run for a bit.

Where do you get your water from? Some water sources have a higher tendency to create this issue.

We are making a cross country trip. We had this issue happen in about every stop we have been at from New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Utah.

How long does the water sit in your pipes between trips?
We have been in our rig fulltime for two months. Nothing is sitting.

What are you using for a water filter cartridge? How often do you replace it?

Brand new Rig purchased in February so we haven't replaced a filter cartridge yet.

Lots of question, hopefully we can help you

Thank you! I appreciate your helping me resolve this gross issue. ;-)

Old 08-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormads View Post
I can use it and nothing happens. My husband uses it 30 minutes later and the bedroom stinks.

I think you've narrowed it down!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #7

I would check and see if the smell is stronger in the bathroom vanity cabinet. If so, there is an "air admittance valve" that may not be holding the air back. It is supposed to only allow air into the holding tank but sometimes they stick. ~CA
Old 08-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #8

By chance are you using a water softener?

We never had a problem with sulfur smell in our 2007 Cameo when using our water softener. In our 2016 Jayco, we started having issues with it in 2018 when using the water softener. We drain our water heater after each trip. This year we haven't hooked up the water softener and still occasionally get the smell, especially in the downstairs 1/2 bath faucet - which is really strange. And it is very frustrating trying to figure out "why".

We know out west a lot of the campgrounds are on well water - which explains why the sulfur smell.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I would check and see if the smell is stronger in the bathroom vanity cabinet. If so, there is an "air admittance valve" that may not be holding the air back. It is supposed to only allow air into the holding tank but sometimes they stick. ~CA
X2, I would expect the issue to be more frequent than just using hot water. The AAV is just threaded in, it located in the cabinet between the P-Trap and the sink. My experience Jayco uses really cheap AAV, and they have a lot of injection molding flash that causes it to stick open. Take it out, and exercise the plastic piece that moves, to wear down the thin flash. It is not an expensive part, and every hardware store caries them. There are better quality AAVs out there.

You have commented it is only with your hot water. Grab a glass of the hot water, and take it outside, does it smell? If not, more reasons to suspect the AAV. If it does smell, then you should sanitize your water fresh water system. Your owners manual will give you details on how to mix up the bleach solution and how long to let it soak in all your FW system. I would do this at a full hook up site, and have a couple jugs of water on had for drinking and cooking as the bleach solution needs to soak for a few hours. When you flush the FW system afterwards, keep you grey water tank drain wide open as it can take an incredible amount of water to remove the bleach solution taste/smell if you mix up a strong concentration (not recommended).

Sample of what an AAV looks like, This is similar to the cheap ones Jayco uses.

https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-39012-A...00KKSP52&psc=1

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #10

Have you sanitized the fresh water system? I noticed that water sitting in the tank for any length of time will start to stink and require sanitizing the tank.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:15 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
By chance are you using a water softener?

We never had a problem with sulfur smell in our 2007 Cameo when using our water softener. In our 2016 Jayco, we started having issues with it in 2018 when using the water softener. We drain our water heater after each trip. This year we haven't hooked up the water softener and still occasionally get the smell, especially in the downstairs 1/2 bath faucet - which is really strange. And it is very frustrating trying to figure out "why".

We know out west a lot of the campgrounds are on well water - which explains why the sulfur smell.

I have a softener and have never had a problem. Most water companies will tell you that hydrogen sulfide is produced by chemical reaction with iron rich water. I add a small amount of Iron Out to the salt that I use to recharge the softener. I have also found that the softener cycle lasts longer.

If you are getting the smell without a softener you are pretty much going to have to live with it or change your water source.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #12

Do the kitchen sink and half bath sink to to a separate gray waste tank? I'd say that that's a possibility - maybe something about the way that tank is plumbed or vented, maybe a bad connection to the tank...

just thinking out loud
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote