Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #1

S2RV Shocks

I just replaced my factory shocks at 28,000 miles and 3 years old. They had ZERO compression in them. I could compress and expand them by hand. Just replaced with Bilstein BIL24-196208 from Power Brakes and Springs. So far, way better...
lslblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lslblues View Post
I just replaced my factory shocks at 28,000 miles and 3 years old. They had ZERO compression in them. I could compress and expand them by hand. Just replaced with Bilstein BIL24-196208 from Power Brakes and Springs. So far, way better...
Exact same part number I put on my 2014. My original Sachs were poor and I had a lot of "porpoising" when the interstate pavement gaps were just right (wrong?). The Bilsteins were so much better. Not cheap but worth the better ride!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:55 PM   #3

I was starting to wonder if i could better the ride on rough roads after seeing your post. Curiosity got the best of me, so i pulled a shock off and found the same problem. 22,000 miles 3 years old and time to replace. I looked for your replacement number and cant find them anywhere, any chance you could steer me in the right direction? Thanks
Josh Messina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Messina View Post
I was starting to wonder if i could better the ride on rough roads after seeing your post. Curiosity got the best of me, so i pulled a shock off and found the same problem. 22,000 miles 3 years old and time to replace. I looked for your replacement number and cant find them anywhere, any chance you could steer me in the right direction? Thanks
Here is a link.

https://store.pbstruckparts.com/bil-...&partType=PART

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:48 AM   #5

My rear shocks were just as bad. I put on Gabriel Shock Absorber - 89443 on the rear.

There are supposedly some Koni shocks that work as well but can't track down numbers.
lslblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lslblues View Post

There are supposedly some Koni shocks that work as well but can't track down numbers.
Call HENDERSON LINE-UP they would know what is available.

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/
Old 08-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #7

We are on a trip up in the PNW and I checked out my front shocks... the starboard side is leaking oil from the top and from the middle.... I guess replacing the shocks when I get home moves to the top of the project list. I thought the "JRide" meant I have Bilstein shocks on the front, but mine are black.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpietsch View Post
We are on a trip up in the PNW and I checked out my front shocks... the starboard side is leaking oil from the top and from the middle.... I guess replacing the shocks when I get home moves to the top of the project list. I thought the "JRide" meant I have Bilstein shocks on the front, but mine are black.
They did use the Bilsteins for a few years, but I heard they went back to the Sach shocks. Likely a cost-savings decision.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:17 PM   #9

Keep in mind, whether or not a shock has pressure pushing it open is not really a good test as more needs to be known (is the shock gas pressurized or not?). For example, a brand new Koni Shock you can push it in and pull it out and it will not expand to fully open, only the shocks with gas pressure will push themselves open. (fyi: some but not all Koni's are gas pressurized)

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...echnology/FAQ/
Old 08-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Keep in mind, whether or not a shock has pressure pushing it open is not really a good test as more needs to be known (is the shock gas pressurized or not?). For example, a brand new Koni Shock you can push it in and pull it out and it will not expand to fully open, only the shocks with gas pressure will push themselves open. (fyi: some but not all Koni's are gas pressurized)

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...echnology/FAQ/
Very true. Expanding due to gas pressure is not a quality indicator. But when I swapped my stock Sachs front shocks for the Bilsteins, the originals when held by top eyelet, would drop to full extension with absolutely no resistance. No dampening whatsoever. When compressed, they would not extend on their own. No gas pressure if there was ever supposed to be. And it was way too easy to compress them, especially as it would relate to a Seneca front end's weight.

Mine appeared to be there for looks, they didn't do much shock absorbing!
Old 08-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Very true. Expanding due to gas pressure is not a quality indicator. But when I swapped my stock Sachs front shocks for the Bilsteins, the originals when held by top eyelet, would drop to full extension with absolutely no resistance. No dampening whatsoever. When compressed, they would not extend on their own. No gas pressure if there was ever supposed to be. And it was way too easy to compress them, especially as it would relate to a Seneca front end's weight.

Mine appeared to be there for looks, they didn't do much shock absorbing!

Yes indeed, when they go bad they can be very bad for sure, no resistance at all, no good at all. ~CA
Old 08-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #12

shocks dynamic resistance

Question I have. The Bilisteins that I put on my Kodiak had resistance upon compression. The originals had resistance upon extension. Whats the mechanical physics for the difference or advantage?
Jump in say hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump in say hey View Post
Question I have. The Bilisteins that I put on my Kodiak had resistance upon compression. The originals had resistance upon extension. Whats the mechanical physics for the difference or advantage?
The shocks have resistance in both directions. That may not be easily noticed on gas shocks like Bilsteins as the gas pushes the shock upwards, but nonetheless, offers resistance when going over bumps in the road.

Here is a pdf that shows the inside of a Bilstein, basically a piston in oil with a variable valve to let the oil flow through it.

https://cart.bilsteinus.com/portals/..._Motorhome.pdf
Old 09-15-2021, 05:29 PM   #14

New Bilstein Shocks in the Mail

The Sachs shocks are going in the trash. I ordered BIL24-248136 10K FRTLINER M2 Steer 60 MM from Power Brake & Spring. If you feel the need to upgrade, call Amy McDonald 574-289-1044 ext1306
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75462 View Post
The Sachs shocks are going in the trash. I ordered BIL24-248136 10K FRTLINER M2 Steer 60 MM from Power Brake & Spring. If you feel the need to upgrade, call Amy McDonald 574-289-1044 ext1306
If you don’t mond me asking, why did they cost?

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
If you don’t mond me asking, why did they cost?
Out the door,498
Ready to test the ride down I-45 soon.
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #17

Amazon has Monroe 65433 Gas-Magnum as an OEM replacement for $63.00. 60mm bore gas shock. Cross reference to Freightliner 10-13760-000 installed.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWest View Post
Amazon has Monroe 65433 Gas-Magnum as an OEM replacement for $63.00. 60mm bore gas shock. Cross reference to Freightliner 10-13760-000 installed.
Did you see a significant improvement with Monroe shocks? I am just curious, sometimes you get what you pay for and they are a significantly cheaper than Bilstein or Fox shocks.
Katwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:46 AM   #19

I have an extra set of front Gabriel shocks for the S2RV if anyone is interested. I ordered from two different sources when they were backordered and installed the first to arrive. PM me if interest, I know this can sometimes be hard to find in stock.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:43 AM   #20

shocking

The Monroe shocks were a vast improvement over the dead Sachs OEM shocks, but that was 25,000 miles ago and the Interstate system is still crap. I had Gabriel shocks installed at a truck alignment shop and that really helped the sway in drainage channels. 97,000 miles on our Seneca purchased new. When the freeway-washboard gets too loud, I turn my hearing aids down.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote