Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2022, 10:41 PM   #1

Save me a little trouble please

My 2022 came with the 190 watt solar panel. This unit is nicely mounted and very well covered with Dicor self-leveling sealant. Which is great, except I can't read the brand to add a 2nd panel, which Entegra says the wiring and solar controller are already prepared to handle. Does anybody know which make/model these solar panels are?

I know I can call/write Jayco. Which I will do if unsuccessful here, just figured someone had already done this before me.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:56 AM   #2

2022 37K Seneca here. The entire system is by Go Power. This is the label on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
20220403_063941.jpg  
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:27 AM   #3

You're awesome! That's what I'll order. Thank you.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #4

Never been a fan of the GpPower stuff, have 2 friends that their GoPower inverters went up in smoke. This was recently posted on the Seneca Facebook group.
Attached Thumbnails
277589257_7638866356124264_623137880943791359_n.jpg   277666379_7638866989457534_3005051789385010355_n.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:06 PM   #5

I don't have that inverter, that looks horrible. Mine is a Xantrex
Old 04-03-2022, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyFluffer View Post
I don't have that inverter, that looks horrible. Mine is a Xantrex
That’s not the inverter it’s the factory installed GoPower Solar charge controller.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:24 PM   #7

Your Xantrex takes 12 volts and makes it into 112 volt AC for microwave, etc. from battery power. Your solar controller should be Go Power marked if original and have wires coming into it from solar and out to battery and possible to Xantrex.

Several really good you tubes on how solar, battery etc. work together to power you while boondocking.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #8

Right, bad brain minute. Rustynuts said inverter and I reacted to that. I do know what an inverter does and I do know what a solar controller does, and I've installed solar on my last two RV's all by my self. 5TH RV, 4th motorhome, 20 years doing it. 1st Super C though.

Guys I have a TBI and multiple other disabilities from time overseas in the wars. I'm sorry if I mess up sometimes. It's a real struggle some days and VA compensation doesn't come close to making me whole. I apologize for the 2nd time today.

I have even installed 200 watts of solar on my Gladiator Rubicon with MPPT, and a DC to DC charger so the alternator can help if there's no sun. Been running my 12V fridge for 21 months nonstop.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201019_161418.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	80263
Old 04-03-2022, 07:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Never been a fan of the GpPower stuff, have 2 friends that their GoPower inverters went up in smoke. This was recently posted on the Seneca Facebook group.
That is not my ideal vision of a proper mounting/installation.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Right, bad brain minute. Rustynuts said inverter and I reacted to that. I do know what an inverter does and I do know what a solar controller does, and I've installed solar on my last two RV's all by my self. 5TH RV, 4th motorhome, 20 years doing it. 1st Super C though.

Guys I have a TBI and multiple other disabilities from time overseas in the wars. I'm sorry if I mess up sometimes. It's a real struggle some days and VA compensation doesn't come close to making me whole. I apologize for the 2nd time today.

I have even installed 200 watts of solar on my Gladiator Rubicon with MPPT, and a DC to DC charger so the alternator can help if there's no sun. Been running my 12V fridge for 21 months nonstop.Attachment 80263
No worries, totally understand, it’s just so that future readers dont get confused. A lot of time the admins will merge things together like the Recall posts to clean things up, this commonly happens about recall.

Old 04-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
That is not my ideal vision of a proper mounting/installation.
Yeah it’s a flush mount panel just screwed on the carpeted wall. Maybe the short was caused by over tightening and flexing the case.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:47 AM   #12

Before buying anything to add to the factory installed solar system, make sure it works properly first. My first issue was communication between the firefly system and the GoPower controller wasn’t working. The dealer ordered a new com cable for the firefly system and that worked. However, Second issue is the max watts I can pull in full sun when the batteries were at 12.3 volts was 7 watts. My dealer said things were ok from what they could tell (meaning they don’t have a clue). My last motorhome I had 630 watts installed and I could pull 540 watts at same condition. So obviously something is not right. Will most likely change the controller to Victron as that’s what I had previously and it’s an outstanding brand. Never had a problem
GibbysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #13

I had NIRV install two additional panels. Unlike the rest of the motorhome, there has not been a problem with these. They said the current system could handle two more panels.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #14

We piece mealed are system 1 200 watt panel lots of sealant, inverter, ran a wire from inverter to TV in rear of camper. Nice not running genny to watch TV, neighbors probably enjoy also! 2 deep cell 6 volt batteries.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
I had NIRV install two additional panels. Unlike the rest of the motorhome, there has not been a problem with these. They said the current system could handle two more panels.
Hey JJ... if they added two more 190's, giving you 570 total wattage, isn't that more than the stock solar controller can handle on an optimum sunshine/temperature day? I know days like that are rare, but I'm wanting to upgrade also but can't figure out what gauge wiring they used. Swapping the controller shouldn't be too hard but replacing the wiring is a different animal.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Hey JJ... if they added two more 190's, giving you 570 total wattage, isn't that more than the stock solar controller can handle on an optimum sunshine/temperature day? I know days like that are rare, but I'm wanting to upgrade also but can't figure out what gauge wiring they used. Swapping the controller shouldn't be too hard but replacing the wiring is a different animal.
Unfortunately, the RV is in the shop so I can't validate the controller model. I was told that the techs at NIRV worked with GO Power on my setup so I will have to double check the controller once I have the RV back. Worst that can happen is it burns to the ground and I get 20% over replacement cost from my insurance and start over. I can't imagine getting one with more problems than I already have. The chances of it burning in my possession are slim to none as I have had it for 10 nights total since 1/10/22...
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
Unfortunately, the RV is in the shop so I can't validate the controller model. I was told that the techs at NIRV worked with GO Power on my setup so I will have to double check the controller once I have the RV back. Worst that can happen is it burns to the ground and I get 20% over replacement cost from my insurance and start over. I can't imagine getting one with more problems than I already have. The chances of it burning in my possession are slim to none as I have had it for 10 nights total since 1/10/22...
Lol...well, I know it's frustrating and I don't like that you're having so much trouble. I've been lucky so far, but it can't last forever. My last motorhome, a 2014 Forest River Sunseeker 2500TS bought new and sold last year never had one trip to the shop or a mobile RV tech visit. I figured everything out, with forum and YouTube help mostly. But it was a much less complicated beast.

My thoughts are with you and if I can help at any point let me know.

Jim
Old 04-09-2022, 02:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We piece mealed are system 1 200 watt panel lots of sealant, inverter, ran a wire from inverter to TV in rear of camper. Nice not running genny to watch TV, neighbors probably enjoy also! 2 deep cell 6 volt batteries.
bdreinv just curious, what size inverter do you have. We have a 190w panel w/two group 24 batteries. I would like to get an inverter just to watch TV when not plugged into AC power.
2018 RAM 1500 Express Air Lift 1000HD
OTR AGIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 04:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post

That looks like a loose wire which heated up and burnt itself out. I check and tighten my wires & connections every year, and I always find a loose one. Don't forget to unhook your battery and AC so you don't short something.
"Use it or loose it."
SkipperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:07 AM   #20

Quote:
My 2022 came with the 190 watt solar panel. This unit is nicely mounted and very well covered with Dicor self-leveling sealant. Which is great, except I can't read the brand to add a 2nd panel, which Entegra says the wiring and solar controller are already prepared to handle. Does anybody know which make/model these solar panels are?

I know I can call/write Jayco. Which I will do if unsuccessful here, just figured someone had already done this before me.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Hi Jim, you don’t need to match the brand panel you have now. You can add any panel to your array. There are much better deals out there than GoPower.

Mike
MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote