Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #1

Second back up camera on Seneca

I have read and re-read the articles of disconnecting the side cameras and only having the back up camera permanently showing on the "in dash" camera.
I've been wondering, if there was another TV screen, could there be a toggle switch to switch from left to right cameras?
I'm thinking of a dash mounted camera, much like a portable GPS.
"In dash" camera dedicated to back camera and the "on dash portable TV screen" for the left and right.
Any thoughts?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
I've been wondering, if there was another TV screen, could there be a toggle switch to switch from left to right cameras?
I'm thinking of a dash mounted camera, much like a portable GPS.
"In dash" camera dedicated to back camera and the "on dash portable TV screen" for the left and right.
Any thoughts?

ya lost me...

Let's see if I get this:
- unplug sides cams from In-dash receiver
- leave existing backup cam on in-dash screen
- add a new video screen
- add a forward facing dash mounted camera

Then what get's displayed on the new video monitor? The "forward facing" camera output? Or plug the side cameras into the new video monitor?
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #3

I would think that whatever you were wanting to view it on would just need a composite input and then directly plug your rear cam directly into your in-dash.

I am about to take a mallet to my side cams, anyway. The picture quality is so terrible, they serve more as a distraction than anything else, IMHO...
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #4

Well Pete, sorry ya got lost.

The basic start of this thought pattern was how useless the side view cameras are when you are trying to make a turn. To me, that is when you want to see what is coming up behind you.

Pete - You got the basic idea of what I want, but then you added the forward facing camera. Now ya got me lost. Why would I want to see on a video screen what I can see by looking out the windshield?

Ahh, I re-read my post, sorry I used the word camera too much. it was early, first cup of coffee, residue from the solar eclipse, basically I've got no excuse.

For on the dash, I just want an extra video monitor. I want the in dash video monitor dedicated 100 percent to the rear camera. And the right and left cameras to be used by a toggle switch to a video monitor, that I could choose to show one side or the other and would sit on the dash like a portable GPS unit.

Memphis02, you might try cleaning your lens and then play with the adjustment on your in dash video monitor.

By the way, thanks to both of you for answering and showing interest.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 08-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #5

I am one owner who has installed a dash switch to cut off the side-view cameras whenever you turn on a blinker, since when they come on they override anything else and switch to the (selected) camera, much like putting it in reverse automatically switches to that rearview camera and it is the only thing that can be viewed. I had occasions when navigating in unfamiliar territory where several turns in succession were required. I missed turns because the Nav screen was overridden because my conscientious use of turn signals! With the switch off the sideview cameras are ignored, but there are times I want them so I just throw the switch and hit the appropriate blinker.

I also like to sometimes like to leave the rear view up so I can observe my toad and see the traffic behind. I just select the camera in my menu and it stays there. Does yours not stay on if you select it in the menu? I can still play the radio or CD, it just happens in the background while showing the rear view.

Because of issues with my original in-dash receiver I replaced it with a Clarion NX706 unit that has a HDMI input also. And since my Rexing dashcam has HDMI-out, I connected it to my Clarion and can view it whenever I want; but like mentioned earlier not much point doing it while driving since the windshield is right there! But I do like being able to play back dashcam recordings on my larger A/V screen. I can't control the dashcam playback from the Clarion, I still have to use the Rexing buttons. But seeing it on a 7" monitor compared to a 2" is much better!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Why would I want to see on a video screen what I can see by looking out the windshield?
Exactly!!!

There are plenty of inexpensive "two input" monitors on eBay. From a small 5" screen to a more reasonable 7" screen.

Then you'd want to figure out how to get the video signals from the cameras to the new monitor. You could do wired or wireless.

I just grabbed one that showed up in a search, so no endorsement of this one.
Foldable 4.3" Color TFT LCD Auto Car Rearview Parking Monitor 2 Video Input E5J7 | eBay

You'd put the Right camera into the white jack and the left camera into the yellow jack.

Push a button on the monitor to select Left or Right camera.

But, like you, I find the side cameras absolutely worthless and would just unplug 'em.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies.

Pete,
That monitor looks like it might do, close to what I was talking about. We are on a big "Bucket List " trip with little to no scheduled location to have something sent to, but will look in to this more when we get settled for the Winter in sunny Florida.

Robby,
I've never tried to change the camera screen, while the blinkers are on. Will give that a try, when underway. Hmmmm, so simple. Never thought about such a simple correction tot he frozen screen. Duh!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 08-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Robby,
I've never tried to change the camera screen, while the blinkers are on. Will give that a try, when underway. Hmmmm, so simple. Never thought about such a simple correction tot he frozen screen. Duh!
I might have misstated that I could change the screen when blinkers were on (before my cutout switch installation) because like reverse, nothing would override those situations and the screen switches. But with the cutout on I can leave the screen on the rearward view constantly if I want.

If you installed another (separate) monitor I see no reason you couldn't route the cameras video to it so it would always display an image, and would still switch to the side views with the blinkers unless you also installed a cutout switch for them. That would free up the A/V receiver from those duties. You would need to disconnect the trigger wire from the camera switching module to the receiver or the in-dash screen would still switch but there would be no picture.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #9

"Trigger Switch" - another thing to explore as this project progresses forward.

One step at a time and eventually you can get anything accomplished.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 08-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #10

Yeah. I was thinking about that too. The less expensive monitors are just going to have an "input" button, perhaps on their remote too. That's how you'll select "left side" or "right side".

It might be too much work to switch to be worth it. Judgement call.

The nicer monitors might come with the ability to switch to an input with a video signal. But, if I understand the usage, that wouldn't help since both cameras would be on and always sending a signal.

Maybe...
Three Monitors!

In-dash for backup.
Monitor one for Right Side.
Monitor two for Left Side!

Oooooooooooooooo, nothing more fun that over-engineering any problem!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #11

Your too much trouble statement is true. Right now I can't imagine the real need for the right or left camera, while driving. I have and do use them at campsites when I want to watch something in that area. Like a critter or keeping an eye on something. The back camera is the valuable one to me.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse