Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #1

Seneca 37FS Roof Replacement

We have a 2016 Seneca 37FS and I hit an upper tree bend due to tail swing on the top, rear side edge of the “pebbled” filon roof. There are three cracks on the side edge and it was not recommended to patch. So we filed an insurance claim and working to have the roof replaced.

Repair shop says they want to replace the entire roof rather than patch but can not source the pebbled filon roof material. Jayco will only sell them a complete roof panel, from inside ceiling to exterior roof which insurance will not approved. I reached out to customer service and was told it is a dicor product and they gave me the part # DFII25D. However the repair shop says they can not source that part.

Has anyone had their roof filon replaced and could you source the pebbled product?
The repair shop has offered to replace with a smooth filon roof found on other brands—Has anyone replaced theirs with this option and did that go well?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Diesel the RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:51 PM   #2

I did not find a DFII25D, By chance could that 2 be a 9?? I have found DiFlexII95D.

https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-DFII95D...1780249&sr=8-2

By chance have you considered RV Flex Armor? It is a spray on roof like a pickup trucks spray in bed liner. Co-worker had a Rhino or Line-X brand done. Absolutely loved it. Lots of people on the site love the Flex Armor. I have heard it is nearly indestructible.

https://rvroof.com/

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:28 AM   #3

I had RV Flex Armor sprayed on my roof 5 years ago. I should have done it 5 years prior to that.

The attached pictures were the result of a tropical storm that hit my home base town in late October 2020. The entire town was out of power for 7 days for many parts of town (thank goodness for the ONAN also). The evening before I pulled my slides in and went to a friends house until the storm passed. I'm sure glad I did or my bedroom slide would have been toast.

These pictures show the oak limb that fell and hit the corner of my roof. If you look just to the left of the center line of the a/c shroud right on the corner of the roof you can see a slight discoloration. That is where the limb hit. It did no damage to the Flex armor at all and the discoloration was just a bit of bark residue which wiped off. The black area to the right of that mark is a joint in the underlying roof material that the Flex Armor is covering and is just dirt and crud which has since been washed off.

The second picture shows the limb itself. Compare the end diameter of this limb to the 4x4 block under the front jack to get an idea of the size of this limb and it fell from 40-45'.

Without the Flex Armor roof I would have had a definite hole/tear in the rubber roof and a big dent I'm sure. I am completely sold on RV Flex Armor.
Attached Thumbnails
20201029_082250.jpg   20201030_075107.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #4

Talking with insurance guy today and mentioned RV Flex Armor--thanks.

Repair shop today said only option to correctly do it per manufacturer is to order complete roof and reinstall on unit. The non pebbled option is off the table since they are unsure how it will bend over the edge.

Insurance guy is running up the new quote to management for approval. Seems crazy three cracks from a hit I didn't hear or feel equals a new roof!

Six week lead time and two/three week install.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel the RV View Post
Talking with insurance guy today and mentioned RV Flex Armor--thanks.

Repair shop today said only option to correctly do it per manufacturer is to order complete roof and reinstall on unit. The non pebbled option is off the table since they are unsure how it will bend over the edge.

Insurance guy is running up the new quote to management for approval. Seems crazy three cracks from a hit I didn't hear or feel equals a new roof!
The problem with removing the old filon is in the fact that it was glued to the luan which is glued to the styrofoam block insulation. Once you start puilling it off you will destroyed some of the luan in the process. The roof assembly is a total structural member as there are limited cross members.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The problem with removing the old filon is in the fact that it was glued to the luan which is glued to the styrofoam block insulation. Once you start puilling it off you will destroyed some of the luan in the process. The roof assembly is a total structural member as there are limited cross members.
Thanks. Helpful to understand why entire roof replacement might be the correct option.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
In addition to what you stated, I have read that the filon is heated, glued, and then pressed prior to being installed (at least on new units, not sure about filon repairs). ~CA
Old 03-08-2021, 08:41 PM   #8

Hail Damage/ New roof

Last year, June, in Rapid City, SD. Hail put 11 cracks/holes in drivers side and 2 cracks/holes in passengers side radius. Jayco confirmed a new roof was needed, but told me it would not be ready till September 15th, because the 2018 37FS was discontinued so it would need to be placed into the line up, when they could. Our insurance company had no problem when I told them we would save them $2,500 in transportation charges by driving it to Middlebury to be replaced instead of a local dealer in Rapid.
Attached Thumbnails
Hail 5.jpg   Hail 7.jpg   Old roof.jpg   New roof ready to go.jpg  
smt29camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #9

Good info supporting the entire roof replacement.

My Insurance (Progressive) asked us to get another shop's quote. So we are waiting for the second quote. This second shop said they have replaced the filon before but we have not seen their estimate. We also have an armor flex quote but the insurance was not willing to go down that road yet.

Thank you for the pictures! Middlebury is 1,200 miles from me so hopefully will not have to return to the shop for this repair.

Kind reminder to all to get out and look at trees around the site--I now also look for rub marks from the others before me!
Old 05-19-2021, 10:14 PM   #10

I love almost everything about my 2013 Seneca except the steering radius (does not turn sharp enough), the side cameras and, the stupid soft roof!! For $230k I would expect an extremely stronger roof. I have repaired 3 holes/cracks (stress fracture) that have shown up, nothing has hit the roof edges that we know of. I keep it in the garage that I built for it so, nothing can hit it when parked at home. The first two were under warranty and repaired by the dealer in 2014. I noticed the last spot when it was in the garage (not sure how long it was damaged) I have used a new waterproof fiberglass Bondo for this one and I'll see how well it works. Cheapest estimate i got on this was $100 a foot to replace the roof. So far it has cost me $9.99 but I haven't painted it yet.
Silverfox188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:19 PM   #11

I contacted Jayco customer service and they acted like they had never heard of this problem! They said to send pictures so I did the next day, that was 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back. I believe this is a terrible design and Jayco should make it right!!
Old 05-20-2021, 06:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox188 View Post
I contacted Jayco customer service and they acted like they had never heard of this problem! They said to send pictures so I did the next day, that was 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back. I believe this is a terrible design and Jayco should make it right!!
They've been using that design since the first gen SENCECA's in 05 so it sounds like something specific to your rig. Could be you have a faulty piece of fiberglass that came from a 3rd party.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #13

I bought the Seneca brand new and have been the only owner. So if a third party put this roof on it was done by Jayco or the dealer. This is very thin material with no backing, it is a wonder any Seneca hasn't had damage to the roof!!
Old 05-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox188 View Post
I bought the Seneca brand new and have been the only owner. So if a third party put this roof on it was done by Jayco or the dealer. This is very thin material with no backing, it is a wonder any Seneca hasn't had damage to the roof!!
I mean JAYCO buys the FIBERGLASS from a 3rd party and that piece may be defective from when it was made. As I said they've been building them the same way for over 15 years. Same material, same install and you seem to be the only one with the re-occurring problem based on the number of SENECA owners on JOF.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #15

2013 is it a fiberglass roof or a membrane roof?
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
2013 is it a fiberglass roof or a membrane roof?
All SENECA's are fiberglass, been like that since 05.

From the 2013 specs

TuffShell vacuum-bonded 5" crowned laminated roof
One-piece fiberglass roof
Old 05-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #17

The radiused edges are fragile and vulnerable to damage if hit or pressure applied but this is pretty standard type of roof, our last Winnebago was built the same way.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #18

Last year we hit a decorative overhang and popped a hole the size of a brick in the back corner near the radius. We just took it to TriStar for a complete replacement. $20k. They also did all of our warranty work. We’re going back at the end of June for a few more things.
Seek and Enjoy is offline   Reply With Quote