Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #1

Seneca 37k

I’m considering buying a new Seneca 37k. Any thoughts from owners who have one. I will be going from a 40’ fifth wheel, Will this be a problem? Also I’ve been reading this forum about problems with generator starting for no reason and cool hot air coming from cab area and should this be a concern. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
2014KTPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:16 AM   #2

I have a 37ts model so I can not address the k directly. The biggest difference is the size, the Seneca length is only one ft shorter but the actual floor space is almost 10ft smaller that you have now. The 37 signifies the box length including the cap over the cab. While this is bed space it does cut the actual floor space. While you might not have the massive single storage space some 5ers have the storage space available on our unit is pretty impressive. We carry tables, four chairs, beach supplies and chair, bikes, tools food etc and still have room for more if absolutely needed, and still have not put anything under the king bed which is a fairly large space.

The issues with auto start are unique to a few units and I am confident that that will be resolved. As for the heat gain/loss the cab is metal with no insulation properties while the cap on the 5er is going to have significantly more insulation. There are easily applied solutions to reduce the heat gain or loss with just more efforts required if you are going to be playing in the extremes of sub zero or 100's temperatures.

We enjoy driving and fully using our Seneca during the travel period. We can stop in pouring rain and make lunch, nap and use rest room without even leaving the unit. Other then walking to the dog or getting fuel dont have to venture out in bad weather. Set up is extremely easy, find a relatively flat location and push some buttons. if we arrive late at night we are step up with slides out in less than 5 minutes and can complete the electrical and water hookups in the morning.

The attaching of our Jeep is done in less than 5 minutes and disconnected in less than two.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #3

Do you full time in yours?
Old 07-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #4

No, but it is always set up either at our house or at a campsite. I would estimate I sleep in over 100 nights per year just about every weekend april -oct and several week long trips. There are several people on here who do full time in theirs and I am sure someone will speak up.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

Yea, it’s a tough call. I really like the thought of the Seneca, but will I regret giving up the space of the fifth wheel. Decisions?
Old 07-25-2019, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014KTPS View Post
I will be going from a 40’ fifth wheel, Will this be a problem?
Yes. Aggressive downsizing and re-imagining life in smaller living spaces will both be required. As well as a toad purchase or re-purposing of your existing TV as a toad. But you won't be worrying how crosswinds affect that thing attached to your kingpin because the Freightliner chassis is a relative dream to operate. Life otherwise will be grand in a Seneca!
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post

The issues with auto start are unique to a few units and I am confident that that will be resolved. As for the heat gain/loss the cab is metal with no insulation properties while the cap on the 5er is going to have significantly more insulation. There are easily applied solutions to reduce the heat gain or loss with just more efforts required if you are going to be playing in the extremes of sub zero or 100's temperatures.

We enjoy driving and fully using our Seneca during the travel period. We can stop in pouring rain and make lunch, nap and use rest room without even leaving the unit. Other then walking to the dog or getting fuel dont have to venture out in bad weather. Set up is extremely easy, find a relatively flat location and push some buttons. if we arrive late at night we are step up with slides out in less than 5 minutes and can complete the electrical and water hookups in the morning.
We agree 100% -
Our FK floorplan also is different than the K, but we use our on-board Generator a lot, keep our Fresh Water tank with plenty of reserve to accommodate any stop along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014KTPS View Post
Do you full time in yours?
We have been part-timing for 6 consecutive months at a time. Two adults and three big dogs. We do these regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Yes. Aggressive downsizing and re-imagining life in smaller living spaces will both be required. As well as a toad purchase or re-purposing of your existing TV as a toad. But you won't be worrying how crosswinds affect that thing attached to your kingpin because the Freightliner chassis is a relative dream to operate. Life otherwise will be grand in a Seneca!
We really have a ton of storage in the outside service doors, we bring just about everything with us...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #8

5th wheel to Seneca

Before my 2018.5 Seneca I owned a Duramax diesel towing 38 foot toy hauler, It would run circles around my 37TS. That was my first 5th wheel. This Seneca is my fourth diesel motorhome. Really under powered going I10 to Quartzsite Az. Duramax to Quartzsite was a breeze
tallcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #9

We love our 37K

I think Seneca drivers are a little different breed. We like the tow capability and “truck” drivability. If you want a little more room and are not in a hurry buy a class A diesel. I can’t comment on the space you will loose going from a 5th wheel to a Super C as I have never pulled a 5th wheel. I can say that I can’t imagine not having access on the go to the use of the RV whether it’s the DW using the front restroom or making a sandwich for the driver. I also seem to pass a lot of 5th wheelers driving down the interstate.
We have a 2018.5 37K. We picked the K because we liked the full bath in the back and 1/2 bath up front. When everything is retracted you can still access the front bathroom as compared to crawling over the bed to get to the back bathroom. We like the expandable L-shaped sofa and the general layout. We have had our Seneca for a little over a year and put on 10,000 miles. We love it. It’s a road machine. I owned a C before this and did thousands of dollars of upgrades to not be scared to death driving it over 60 or in a cross wind. The Seneca is a dream to drive down the road. No buffeting bow wave from semi’s and no wander with a cross wind. You can comfortably drive the Seneca for 400 or more miles a day comfortably if you want to push it. You can run 70 if you want and be the guy in the number 1 lane comfortably. The suspension is very good both comfortable and great handling.
I have not had any trouble with the generator starting automatically and have been following that thread. I am going in for my first warranty fix and it deals mainly with a screw coming up under the flooring next to the bed in the master bedroom. Couple trim pieces need to be reglued. I discovered that the primary coaxial cable was bad to the satellite dome and will need to be repulled. Happy to answer any questions that you may have about the K.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #10

Being a Seneca guy know and pull 10,000 # 24 foot cargo trailer and solo a Wrangler 2 door it still boils down what size cummins your running
tallcott is offline   Reply With Quote