Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2017, 06:15 AM   #1

Seneca 37ts No Slide topper?

I noticed that the main kitchen slide on the ts doesn't have a topper. The other two slides do have toppers. I realize that the main awning covers this but there are many times that you might not have the main awning out. Just wondering if anyone with a TS has had any issues with this lack of protection or if this is a non issue.

Thanks
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #2

We noticed this too

We noticed water on the inside of our coach on the floor during some recent storms. It was coming in on the forward side of the passenger side living room slide. The problem was 2 fold. First, the rubber gasket flips in and out as the slide extends and retracts. The rubber gasket did not flip out letting a steady stream of water into out coach until we realized what was happenings. To fix this, I flipped the rubber gasket out as it should be and rolled our main awning out about 2 ft. Flipping the gasket out probably would have fixed the problem, but by using the awning we made extra sure that we were stopping the water.

PS. It can really take your breath away when you look down and see a stream of water 3-4 inches wide flowing across your living room floor.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

Well that's not welcome news. Is this a new "improvement" or has it been this way? I can see this as being an issue, especially when they list slide toppers as a standard?

Glad to know you are on the case Paul.

Mark
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #4

new improvement

I can't say if this is something new, but I suspect it isn't. I don't think there is room b/w the top of the slide and the awning to install a separate slide topper on that slide. I can say I will be sure to check that slide gasket to make sure it pops outward like it is supposed to do the next time I run it out.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Old 04-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Well that's not welcome news. Is this a new "improvement" or has it been this way? I can see this as being an issue, especially when they list slide toppers as a standard?

Glad to know you are on the case Paul.

Mark

This appears to have been this way for awhile. I just happened to notice it and wanted to see if others thought it was important enough to install one over this slide. The other two do have it.

I certainly might freak out it I saw water running across the floor. It the awning pretty secure at two ft or did you feel it could get damaged in a storm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #6

It is not new, my 2014 TS is without one too. I asked Jayco about it and they claimed there was insufficient clearance to install one under the main awning.

I too have experienced minor leaks, but usually in driving rains where it also blew in one of the other slideouts too. But like the others I am careful (now) to inspect all of the slideout seals and flip the ones that have not come out on their own. And I also frequently leave the main awning out just enough to cover the slide if the predicted rain is not supposed to be accompanied by high winds. But just to be safe I leave my auto-retract (that I installed) turned on so if it is windy and the awning moves too much it comes back in on its own. Just so you also know, if you do angle the awning arms down, the awning fabric will contact the top corners of the kitchen slide. I also asked Jayco about that, they said "don't worry". No holes in two years now, but we'll see how things look 5 or 10-years out! But if you leave the arms up no contact at all.

I have considered asking Carefree whether they think a topper would work given the confines, it just hasn't been high on my modifications priority list yet. Maybe later this year!

Speaking also of awnings, I did add a Carefree manual window awning to the windows next to the dinette and sofa bed. One awning over both windows. It is easy to deploy and stow, and the fabric matches the main awning, in my case Charcoal acrylic. The arms match the main awning style arms too. It has been very handy in many campgrounds to help keep things cooler inside and it affords a little more privacy if you have another unit next to you with no buffer. You can see it in the picture below on the far right.
Attached Thumbnails
20160613_161354.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #7

Our 2015 37TS also does not have the topper on the kitchen slide. Here in the Seattle area, we need toppers to help with rain diversion, so we'll be putting the main awning out when it rains.

If the wind is such that the awning looks iffy when only out 2ft, we'd probably pull BOTH the awning and that slide in, for safe keeping.

We've only had the Seneca a month now, so we haven't had a change to test it out in bad winds yet... I'm sure we will, though!
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
It is not new, my 2014 TS is without one too. I asked Jayco about it and they claimed there was insufficient clearance to install one under the main awning.

I too have experienced minor leaks, but usually in driving rains where it also blew in one of the other slideouts too. But like the others I am careful (now) to inspect all of the slideout seals and flip the ones that have not come out on their own. And I also frequently leave the main awning out just enough to cover the slide if the predicted rain is not supposed to be accompanied by high winds. But just to be safe I leave my auto-retract (that I installed) turned on so if it is windy and the awning moves too much it comes back in on its own. Just so you also know, if you do angle the awning arms down, the awning fabric will contact the top corners of the kitchen slide. I also asked Jayco about that, they said "don't worry". No holes in two years now, but we'll see how things look 5 or 10-years out! But if you leave the arms up no contact at all.

I have considered asking Carefree whether they think a topper would work given the confines, it just hasn't been high on my modifications priority list yet. Maybe later this year!

Speaking also of awnings, I did add a Carefree manual window awning to the windows next to the dinette and sofa bed. One awning over both windows. It is easy to deploy and stow, and the fabric matches the main awning, in my case Charcoal acrylic. The arms match the main awning style arms too. It has been very handy in many campgrounds to help keep things cooler inside and it affords a little more privacy if you have another unit next to you with no buffer. You can see it in the picture below on the far right.

I saw the picture before but actually was distracted by the awesome view in the background. I will have to look into those awnings. Just getting started spending my kids inheritance. I hope they don't mind.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I saw the picture before but actually was distracted by the awesome view in the background. I will have to look into those awnings. Just getting started spending my kids inheritance. I hope they don't mind.
Tiger Run Resort, outside of Breckenridge, CO. One of the nicest places we have ever stayed, it actually achieves the definition of "resort" with its many amenities. Not many others so described have done so in our experiences!

My adult daughters (and wife) just shake their heads as my RV projects go on!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #10

Awning

Quote:
It the awning pretty secure at two ft or did you feel it could get damaged in a storm?

It seemed solid to me when it was out only a couple feet.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Old 04-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Tiger Run Resort, outside of Breckenridge, CO. One of the nicest places we have ever stayed, it actually achieves the definition of "resort" with its many amenities. Not many others so described have done so in our experiences!

I just looked it up. That photo you have understates the real beauty of that area and location.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvteach77 View Post
It seemed solid to me when it was out only a couple feet.

Thanks. I am sure I am overreacting. There a lot of these units out there and I really have seen to many complaints so finger crossed. How do you like the ts so far?

Old 04-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:

Tiger Run is one of my all time favorite places. Went there the past two summers and was there all of last September. Not cheap by any means but what a great location.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #14

My '16 TS has the same issue with the slide seal not flipping to the correct direction when opening the slide. I'm working towards a solution on that.

After replacing the main slide topper on the driver side (high winds ripped it off the coach) I'm confident that a topper can be added to the kitchen slide. It will need to be a non-covered style (like the standard A&E) to fit under the main awning.

Once I get it ordered I will document the installation as I feel it is necessary to prevent water and debris accumulation and the task of cleaning off the top of the slide before closing.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:08 AM   #15

As far as the gasket not flipping when being slid out, I have seen slides, on all different types of units, with a diagonal molding down the side of the slide-out, that assists with the flipping of the rubber gasket as it deploys and has it retracts.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #16

We love it!

Quote:
Thanks. I am sure I am overreacting. There a lot of these units out there and I really have seen to many complaints so finger crossed. How do you like the ts so far?

We love our new coach. Considering some of the issues we had with our Greyhawk, we got a great coach in our 37TS. I wouldn't have our awning out in high wind, but the awning support was flexing to allow water to run off as needed when it was only partially out. Every now and then I think that maybe we should have gone with the bunkhouse Seneca, but we really love the large living room area of the TS. That is specifically why we picked it.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Old 04-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #17

Living in the NW and using our '16 TS year round we have found this to be an issue as the winds along the coast typically prevent the use of the large awning. After bringing the kitchen slide in and watching water pour across the interior of our RV several time I have taken to using the rear jacks to raise the rear of the coach to get most of the water to run off the top of the slide and then having towles at the ready when I put the slide in. I would love to hear of a better solution.
meyerjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerjohnc View Post
Living in the NW and using our '16 TS year round we have found this to be an issue as the winds along the coast typically prevent the use of the large awning. After bringing the kitchen slide in and watching water pour across the interior of our RV several time I have taken to using the rear jacks to raise the rear of the coach to get most of the water to run off the top of the slide and then having towles at the ready when I put the slide in. I would love to hear of a better solution.
I agree, get the water off the slide cover before bringing in. Think of what you are doing, when you bring a wet slide into the living quarters. The outside wet wall is now draining and drying on your cabin floor. would you let your car drip dry on your living room carpet?

On our 37FS, we have also learned that bringing the slides in before a major storm rolls through really increases your stability. Especially if the jacks are down.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #19

We are also in the Seattle area .If it was raining, along with wind, I have that slider in. The big thing for us is monitoring the seals around the sliders. We had our bedroom seal leak. Upon inspection it had not fully unfolded, directing the rain onto the bedroom floor. I now monitor this. Also, I have waxed the inside of each slider and it helps greatly but is not 100% of the time. I retract and redeploy then it will seal better.
2012 Ford F-350 Dually
rollon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #20

Cool to hear from so many Seneca people in PNW... hope to see you out on the roads and in the campgrounds soon!

-Tina & Dave + Denna the mastiff (and co-pilot)
2015 Seneca 37TS (new to us this year)
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote