Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #1

Seneca 37TS water heater access

It's raining puppies and kitty cats and I don't want to crawl around on the wet gravel so I thought I would ask this question on the forum:

How do you access the back of the 10 gallon hot water heater on a 2020 Seneca/Accolade 37TS without removing the unit from the coach? I looked in all the bedroom drawers last night and there is no access by pulling a drawer, at least not that I can see.

My hot water heater does not work on electric. The 10 gallon dual fuel (gas and electric) supposedly has a switch for electric on the back side of the water heater and before I take it back to the dealer under warranty I'd like to make sure that switch is turned on.

The LP side of the water heater works great.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #2

No way to access it except by pulling it out. I wanted to get behind mine and insulate the pipes and around the unit (Truma) and I cut a hole and put in a sealed access cover. While I was at it, I moved the low point drain up inside the insulated compartment to keep it from freezing.
Attached Thumbnails
400735EC-ED3C-4329-91EC-7236FFF0CE89.jpg   D7A92A23-7248-4259-AF44-60E534D176FE.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #3

Thanks a bunch. Looks like it will be a dealer warranty repair or on the list for the Jayco Factory Service Center when it goes in for the slide adjustment and re-painting.

Again, thanks.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #4

Update

I have been in contact with Jayco Factory Service about my appointment scheduled for April 27. The appointment is now August 10 - 21 due to COVID and August is the first 2 week appointment open (2 weeks needed due to painting required).

While conversing with the Service Advisor I asked about water heater access. It turns out that Jayco has recognized the problem of accessing the back of the water heater and they have started discussing adding an access panel as the coach is on the assembly line. He wasn't sure if they had already designed the panel in.

I crawled under my coach and what did I find, on the back of the water heater compartment is an access panel about 18 inches wide by about 12 inches tall held on with 6 screws. When the weather warms up I'll go out again and remove the panel; and see if the switch on the water heater is turned on or off.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #5

What brand of WH is installed? Suburban has a switch on the front side behind the access door. Atwood has no switch from what I understand.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
What brand of WH is installed? Suburban has a switch on the front side behind the access door. Atwood has no switch from what I understand.
The water heater installed is a Dometic dual fuel 10 gallon. The switch is on the back. My prior class c (10 years ago) had a 6 gallon Dometic with the switch on the front behind the LPG tube so that was the first thing I checked, then I looked at the hot water heater owner's manual. Switch in the back.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The water heater installed is a Dometic dual fuel 10 gallon. The switch is on the back. My prior class c (10 years ago) had a 6 gallon Dometic with the switch on the front behind the LPG tube so that was the first thing I checked, then I looked at the hot water heater owner's manual. Switch in the back.
I like learning new stuff. thank you.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I crawled under my coach and what did I find, on the back of the water heater compartment is an access panel about 18 inches wide by about 12 inches tall held on with 6 screws. When the weather warms up I'll go out again and remove the panel; and see if the switch on the water heater is turned on or off.
I went out and looked to see what it would take to open a hatch on ours... there is only about 4 inches between the back of the water heater bay and the frame rail. It is a real tight squeze getting any tool in there, yet a stubby screwdriver.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I went out and looked to see what it would take to open a hatch on ours... there is only about 4 inches between the back of the water heater bay and the frame rail. It is a real tight squeze getting any tool in there, yet a stubby screwdriver.
That is the same issue I will be facing is getting the screws out. Once I do I might replace them with hex heads so I can use a socket and ratchet in the future. But then, I hope this is a one time operation so how often will those screws need to come out?
Old 04-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #10

I cut in an access cover so I could get in there and insulate the pex and around the water heater. I also cleaned up all the excess hose and moved the low point drain valve up into the insulated compartment. I have the Truma so t must be smaller because I have all kinds of room behind the units. Jayco did put in a small 6" round access cover that when opened there is a piece of plywood 1" inside so it does nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
i-FBHQM9J-X2.jpg  

Old 04-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I cut in an access cover so I could get in there and insulate the pex and around the water heater. I also cleaned up all the excess hose and moved the low point drain valve up into the insulated compartment. I have the Truma so t must be smaller because I have all kinds of room behind the units. Jayco did put in a small 6" round access cover that when opened there is a piece of plywood 1" inside so it does nothing.
help me understand the perspective of the picture? is this taken from below? Where did you cut that hole? it looks to be cut from the bottom.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
help me understand the perspective of the picture? is this taken from below? Where did you cut that hole? it looks to be cut from the bottom.
If you look at the pics I posted in post #2 the pic in post #10 is when I first cut the hole for the white access cover I put in. The pic is basically laying on the floor on my back looking up into the cutout. The silver metal is the back of the water heater.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #13

The Accolade has an access panel on the back of the water heater compartment held on by 8 Phillips screws. Today I removed the panel and there is no switch on the back of the water heater. Looks like this will be a warranty repair item for Jayco if I don't have the dealer handle it sooner.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #14

The accolade 37k has the panel on the back also, but for some reason they cut a 3 inch hole beside it . They then try to fill it with foam it didn't work.
jack4540 is offline   Reply With Quote