Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #1

Seneca

We now have a 2015 Jayco Precept 35un' and are considering upgrading to a Seneca on the Freightliner. We like everything about our unit except the Ford F-53. Always issues. Would appreciate any thoughts from Seneca owners, and what they like and don't like. Any problems, etc. Thanks
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #2

I'm sure you will get many differing opinions, here are some of mine having owned two previous Ford E-series Class C units and moving up to my Seneca in early 2015.
Very good "road manners", I upgraded my front shocks to the current Seneca J-Ride units and it made it even better.
Cummins 6.7L ISB diesel - powerful (enough), proven reliable, good economy for power rating
Allison 6-speed transmission - proven reliable
This engine/chassis combination are easy to service with tip-up front clip, I can change my oil, oil filter, and fuel filters in my driveway in about an hour. Service available at hundreds of Freightliner or other heavy truck facilities. When the service people see it is an M2 chassis they smile compared to other types of chassis. Not every Ford dealer is equipped (or wants) to service Class A units.
2 cab doors in addition to the coach entry door
Class C sleeping capacity - I can sleep 6 adults (3 couples) in comfort, plus additional children using the dinette and fold-down couch.
Tremendous capacity to carry "stuff" - My R.O.C.C. is over 5,000 lbs.
Towing capacity - 10,000 lb. rated hitch, actual "safe" capacity is dependent on how the coach is loaded but at least 5K if coach is loaded to GVWR.
Cab protection in case of crash - Lots of aluminum, steel, and cast iron up in front of me!
I like driving a truck, not a living room. My very subjective opinion here!
Great view of the road.
Four coach batteries standard
Ability to fuel at truck diesel lanes instead of maneuvering around tight gas pumps

Drawbacks:
Higher initial cost
Service consumables such as oil and filters greater (but intervals are generally longer).
Unit very tall (my unit is 13'1" per Jayco)
Cab area not part of living space
Necessary to fuel tanks on both sides of cab
Accessible truck diesel lanes are not as common as gas stations

I don't have too many drawbacks, I really love my unit! Certainly more things I like, but this is what I could come up with quickly.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #3

Thanks Rob, just the info I was looking for.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #4

I can understand and concur with a lot of what Rob said. My Seneca is the previous first generation of super C. It's not quite as refined as the newer 2nd Generation on the M2 chassis, but it's got most of the same advantages in my view. I deliberately chose a diesel Super C, and my preference within the class was the Seneca by Jayco. I like their floor plans, the general build quality (despite a few horror stories here and there), and the fact that it's a medium duty truck chassis built to handle such loads.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #5

Pretty much what Rob said. Going from a diesel pusher to a super C the things that we gave up were storage space, space in bedroom for dressing, useable closet space (depth), and drawer space. What we gained the most was drivability and cab heating/AC and exterior patio space as the result of no front passenger side slide with useable awning.

Major dislikes for Seneca were HW heater and mattress comfort. Niggling things were placement of power outlets in galley, dinette space (table too small, miss the free standing table and credenza). DW preferred the separate washer and dryers vs combo unit.

I think the new Senecas sacrificed a little more storage space for bigger windows.

Look a hard look at the Dynamax Force. The front seats are level with house and swivel. Comes std with 10 gal hw heater. Cummins ISB XT version available.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #6

Appreciate all the information regarding the Jayco Seneca's. My DW refuses to drive our current Class A so we are looking forward to purchasing a Seneca 37TS.

My question is in regards to the fuel tanks, do you have to fill the two tanks seperatly or can you simply fill one tank and the fuel transfers to both tanks at an equal level similar to the semi's running down the road?

Also, is the DEF on the passenger side or the drivers side? On our current Class A Forrest River they put it on the passengers side which makes it a PITA when fueling and getting DEF at truck stops considering all semis put their DEF tanks on the drivers side so fueling stations accomate these set ups.

Thanks
Hedge-Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #7

Hedge-Hog, easy to drive was one of the major reasons for us moving from a DP to the Seneca. DW would not drive the DP.

Yes, you must fill both tanks. Per prior post there is a little fuel transfer but it's negligible. You still need to look for stations with truck pumps.

DEF is on driver's side. The reason why it is on the passenger side on most DPs is that the DP chassis is essentially a front engine chassis turned around. Newer DPs have DEF on driver side.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

Walt, thanks for your reply and explanations. I learned something new today regarding the DEF fill on our current DP and makes sense. You should of seen my wife holding up big rigs behind us so we could go against the grain at fill stations to fill our DEF.

Looking forward to picking up our Seneca this week and turning the DW loose behind the wheel

Jordan
Hedge-Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:17 AM   #9

We have been using Love's Truck Stops since they started the "TirePass" tire monitoring system. Easy fill of both tanks at once and we get our tires checked by a third party. When traveling, I get them checked about once a week.

The truck fill locations with a hose on both sides makes filling easy. Put driver's side nozzle in first, then passenger side. Top off passenger side and then go back and top off driver's side. If I need DEF, its right there. Most of them also have propane fill tanks on the property and my fuel purchases go toward paying for my "TirePass" tire check. Usually tip the attendant the $5 anyway. This is a great service and it really gives me comfort going down the road.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #10

We have owned our Seneca since this past April and love it. We saw the Seneca when they first came out and loved the model. We upgraded from a 5th wheel and the reason we didn't go with a class A was the wife felt more confertable drive the super C the the class A. Also agree with everyone above about drivability. We did lose storage inside and wish they would have put more electrical outlets in the galley area and living area. You will not regret going with the Seneca.
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote