Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #1

Seneca Bedroom slide binding

I have a 2016 Seneca HJ , having a bedroom slide issue.
The right hand small bedroom slide some how is bound up & will not travel in
& out properly. Had to have 4 friends help push the slide in for travel.
Took a lot of effort small movement in then out while pushing from outside & running switch.
One side is bound & not moving the same as the other.
Does anyone know what I can look for in the system to correct ?
srxhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:02 AM   #2

Something like that is always unnerving.

Do some searches on this site and others.

I've had some binding, sometimes if up on the levelers. Think about the frame needing to be on the suspension of the frame. I think the levelers can put a unnoticed twist in the frame even though it seems so stiff.

Wipe down the sides of the slides, to make sure they are slick and clean.

Use a lubricant on the rubber gasket. Be careful, us the right stuff.

if all else fails, try contacting your dealer or Jayco. There is a solutiuon. You just have to figure it out.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #3

Srxhare - What type of slideout mechanism does that slide have? My TS 2014 bedroom slide is a Power Gear, but new TS units have a Schwintek. I have no clue what your HJ might have. Does your slide have "gear tracks" on the outside of the slide denoting a Schwintek or the "trolley" under the bed indicative of a Power Gear? Either type could certainly be affected by binding by flexion or other mechanical issues as rgolding has stated, rule that out first.

If a Schwintek mechanism, there are motors in each side and a problem with one could cause your symptoms. There is a procedure to "retime" them so they work in harmony should that be the issue. If a Power Gear sliding trolley, the troubleshooting is different. My two other slides are larger Power Gear units and they each have shafts that connect the ends together. I had a driveshaft bolt fall off which caused one end of my kitchen slide to stop working. My dinette slide had one ready to come apart, but some Loctite cured that!

Let us know what type you have and maybe we can throw more resources your way. Or maybe another HJ owner can help.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #4

If it is a swintec check to see that the motors are secure. The little screw that holds them in can come out and the motor can pop out of the channel. Make sure the motor is dropped down. Many videos on line with specific help based on the type of mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:58 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by srxhare View Post
I have a 2016 Seneca HJ , having a bedroom slide issue.
The right hand small bedroom slide some how is bound up & will not travel in
& out properly. Had to have 4 friends help push the slide in for travel.
Took a lot of effort small movement in then out while pushing from outside & running switch.
One side is bound & not moving the same as the other.
Does anyone know what I can look for in the system to correct ?

Had this similar problem on my 2012 Seneca FK. Not sure if it's the same reason, but here's my experience:

The leveling system can get "out of calibration," which basically means that it "thinks" it's level when it is not. This can tweak the frame a bit, causing binding of slides. That's one thing. There's a procedure for recalibrating that leveling system (using the manual mode, a bullet level, and patience) and that could help.

Second thing: The rack (of the rack and pinion system) can become unparallel with the sliding portion (either in the X, Y or Z axis or some combination,) creating a bind. Once the slide is extended, you can look under and see that the attachment point on the slide furthest from the coach wall has oval-shaped holes for the bolts. This attachment point can move and can create a non-parallel situation. I have in the past loosened the bolts slightly and then operated the slide, allowing the oval shaped holes in the rack mount to "center themselves." You stop about 1" short of fully closed, crawl under and slightly tighten the bolts.

I like to loosen all related bolts to "snug, not tight" and then operate to allow everything to slide or fall naturally into place. I can tighten everything later and I don't have to go crazy looking for the one oddity that may be causing a bind.

Then operate the slide to ensure that it opens and closes completely to your satisfaction. When happy with it, lock it down tightly. It might be good to use loctite on the bolts (blue not red) once you're satisfied.

Also, important note. If you open or close slides when you are not leveled up on the jacks, things easily tweak and create misalignment due to flexibility in the suspension components.

My rule is like so:

Arrive. Leave the truck running. Operate jacks on "auto level." Then open slides. Then operate jacks on auto level a second time. Then shut down motor and find a beer. It has worked pretty well 5 years now, but I'm not saying it's the only way.
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #6

Our 2015 36FK has the Power Gear setup... and we had a major issue with our slide on the Bedroom too. What happened is the framework that the slide runs in/out on has a nylon glide that the actual slide mechanism goes in/out on. Lifting the bed up while the slide was partly out revealed that the wood framework buckled and came apart.

As an engineer... I shook my head as to how poorly it was put together and what little was used to support that weight. I got some additional wood and used drywall screws to put it back together (instead of staples that were too short to hold it together).

It took some work of two guys outside, helping support the slide while pushing it back out and putting a shim under the slide on the side that collapsed to hold it up while making the repair. It took a few hours and a few choice words to get it put back together, but is much stronger now.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the feed back.
I do have a Schwintech system , I talked to Jayco & they sent me a troubleshooting PDF doc. On the Slide control units located under the
bed in back.
I was able to determine from the troubleshooting guide that 1 of the
2 motors is malfunctioning . I also found out that if you push the override
button that it will operate on 1 motor allowing the slide to travel properly
in a emergency situation in or out .
I do have a appointment with local dealer to repair this week.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #8

Great info. Where is the over ride button? Any info on the opposing bedroom slide from the troubleshooting guide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #9

both control units are under the bed , remove top end panel control units for bedroom slides
are located on the end of bed base
Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #10

Bedroom slide

I had the same issue with my bed slide. The reset button on the schwintec controller may help but didn’t in my case. Tried every combo of jacks down jacks up etc. Dealer replaced one of the motors after I fought it on a long distance week long trip. It works better. Main issue I have found is that you must commit to the direction of travel and keep your hand on the switch until the movement stops on its own. Don’t try to guess at the stop location in either direction. This goes against all logic of mechanical items but the dealer recommended this and I now have made three trips doing this without further issue.
Purdue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue 1 View Post
Main issue I have found is that you must commit to the direction of travel and keep your hand on the switch until the movement stops on its own. Don’t try to guess at the stop location in either direction.
Spot on. This is exactly how we were instructed to operate the slide, IN or OUT. Told us to count off for two seconds after the slide stops moving before releasing the switch. No issues to date with this procedure.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:09 AM   #12

My 2017 seneca HJ was having the same problem. The control is in the front and I would stop before extending all the way out. I installed a remote control for the slideouts enables me to operate from outside. No more problems!
Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote