Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
MD3

Seneca - bin latch pops open

I have a side bin latch that keeps popping open while going down the road.
Latest was on the freeway at night. It just keeps popping open at random times.

The latch is popping open even with the handle locked and bin closed.
I can jump out and slam the door closed again and the handle stays locked.
The latching mechanism itself is opening thus allowing the door to swing open.

I've looked at the side compartment bin latch but I do not see any adjustment to keep or adjust the latch closed. The dealer has "fixed" it twice with "adjustment".

I have added a bungee cord inside the door so it can only swing open a couple inches.

Any ideas to fix this or do I just need a new latch ?

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

I had the same thing happening on the last compartment on the passenger side. I think it was adjusted to tight to the seal and u less you really slammed the door it was not totally latching all the way. I started adjusting the loop portion of the latch mounted to the compartment side wall a little at a time, just loosening the 1/4” nuts on the back side 1/2 turn and then tightening the outside nuts thus moving the loop out and relieving the excessive pressure from the seal. It took about 3 adjustments to get it to the point that we haven’t had it pop open any more. I now have a habit of walking around and giving a little tug on the bottom of each door to make sure they are secure before we take off each time. It also really helps to keep the key slots and inside of the latches lubed. I have always used 3in1 dry lock lube.
Attached Thumbnails
12F4B027-577E-46B2-BF51-092FA3EC888A.jpeg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #3

You can try to adjust the ring by loosening the two inside nuts and then tighten the outside nuts, this will bring the ring further out where is might have better contact with the actual locking mechanism. if the unit was already too far out the unit should lock but you would not have a very good seal around the door. if this doesnt work then the lock might be damaged and not fully seating. This photo is from a 2018 seneca ts. I had to adjust these as the base plate became loose and when I slammed them it was not fully locked. After having to do an emergency stop on the side of the road I now grab the bottom of each door to be sure they are fully locked and will not pop open.

These are called slam locks but the bracket holding the ring on is very flimsy, so I now press them closed to reduce the slaming of the bracket. I am going to replace the screws as I had the one on the generator fall off when the screws failed.

After writing this I see Rusty said the same thing, Guess i need to write faster
Attached Thumbnails
lock bracket.jpg  
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
MD3

I've tried adjusting the u-bolt and I am guessing that is what the dealer is also doing.

I always give this hatch an extra push after closed and then a pull. It always appears secure.... It doesn't pop open every trip out but I check it every time we stop.

I'm tempted to switch the latch to a different bin and see if the problem changes any.

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #5

The only other thing I was going to try if mine didn’t stop was to shim under the hinge screws. If the seal is to tight on the hinge side adjusting the loop really won’t change much on the hinge side. With the length of some of the doors, a tight hinge side could put a lot of pressure on the latch.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #6

All of our doors pop open.
Jayco made to lock cutouts too
far back from the edge.
They sent new locks but no help.
The only real fix was replace door and repaint!!
So I added a extra lip to door frame to catch the door a bit better.
The joy of a new coach!!
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #7

On mine, there is a way to adjust the bar in, out, and forward and back. What was going on with mine was that the latch would just barely catch the bar, once I adjusted the bar to reach out more to grab more of the latch, it works perfectly now.
Mine look different than the picture from RVermont. Like I said, I have an adjustment screw that gives me 3d movement not just 2d like said picture shows. What I would do it pull that entire bracket off, add a washer or two and mount it back to the wall. This will make it stick more into the bin and further into the latch when it closes on it.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #8

The biggest issue are the long brackets that the loop is bolted to, they are to long and flex. I laid my phone in a compartment while videoing and when you slam the door the latch grabs the loop and then it flexes out almost 1/4" and when you open the door you can see the bracket and loop pop back in place when the pressure is released. With the bracket flexing so much, the latch doesnt always fully engage all the time. Most of my brackets only had 2 screws in them from the factory and most of them were loose. I went through and replaced the existing screws with a #12 hex head self tapper and added screws so there are a total of 4 like it is designed to be. Most of mine are nice and solid now but a few that are in bays with a plastic liner still flex a bit and I will be making up some 45° brackets to bolt in the slots of the existing bracket and angle back and screw to the side wall...this should remove all the flex in the bracket. I will post pics when I get to it.

Here is the video, keep an eye on the latch...

https://youtu.be/1hYEbBU6lBo