Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #1

Seneca camera questions

We are new owners of a 2014 FS and have a few questions regarding the Voyager camera system:

1. From the drivers seat the camera display is very dim. Is that normal and can it be adjusted in any way?

2. From the time I turn on a turn signal or go into reverse, it’s a 3 second delay before the camera image appears. The screen is blacked out during those 3 seconds. The screen is blacked out for another 3 seconds after turning off the turn signal, or shifting out of reverse. Is this normal and can it be changed?

3. Does the rear camera include a mic? I see the Voyager 3007 controller has a audio out cable. Is it connected to the head unit or anything else?

Thanks
James AO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:46 AM   #2

Yours sounds like it behaves like my 2014 TS for the most part, except for the dim picture. All three of my cameras seem to deliver a fair picture in decent light and the rear camera (with its IR emitters) does okay as ambient light dims. Even in relatively dark conditions it still shows me the car is still back there!

When my turn signals are activated and then turned off I do have the delay returning to the prior screen, but it always momentarily cycles through the rear camera view before going back to the Nav, stereo, or whatever it was before. I have not found any setting on the switching box (inside the dash) or in the stereo's menu to alter the delay. But what I did do was to install a switch in my dash that interrupts the turn signal feed into the camera switching module so that they don't trigger a picture switch every time. I drive using the mirrors but I do find there are times the side cameras are useful. So when I want them I have the switch "on", but mostly it is off. I used a Freightliner "OPT" (Optional) switch and it looks like the factory had put it there.

As far as rear camera sound, the camera switching module does have a single channel RCA cable coming out of it but it wasn't hooked to anything. So no sound in a stock installation. I never tried to hook it up to my original Clarion head unit. But that original Clarion died about 18 months into my ownership and when I talked to Clarion support they told me it wasn't worth repairing and offered me a "goodwill" credit on their latest model (at that time) the NX 706. The NX 706 has worked great for me since. The new Clarion had a way to hook up that rear camera audio, but it took another piece of hardware to make that work and continue to have the cab stereo amplify the bunk TV audio to the coach overhead speakers. It is an audio switching module, it uses the same reverse light signal that triggers the rear camera switching to (now) also switch to the camera audio so I hear what the camera picks up. The NX 706 had a menu option to enable it which I leave turned on. So whenever I go into reverse the music stops if on and the rear audio can be heard.

Since I first did my rear camera audio upgrade I have now installed a soundbar/subwoofer for my bunk TV so I don't use the cab stereo for the TV anymore. I could eliminate the audio switching module if I wanted to, I just haven't.

If you want more info I am happy to help!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Yours sounds like it behaves like my 2014 TS for the most part, except for the dim picture. All three of my cameras seem to deliver a fair picture in decent light and the rear camera (with its IR emitters) does okay as ambient light dims. Even in relatively dark conditions it still shows me the car is still back there!

When my turn signals are activated and then turned off I do have the delay returning to the prior screen, but it always momentarily cycles through the rear camera view before going back to the Nav, stereo, or whatever it was before. I have not found any setting on the switching box (inside the dash) or in the stereo's menu to alter the delay. But what I did do was to install a switch in my dash that interrupts the turn signal feed into the camera switching module so that they don't trigger a picture switch every time. I drive using the mirrors but I do find there are times the side cameras are useful. So when I want them I have the switch "on", but mostly it is off. I used a Freightliner "OPT" (Optional) switch and it looks like the factory had put it there.

As far as rear camera sound, the camera switching module does have a single channel RCA cable coming out of it but it wasn't hooked to anything. So no sound in a stock installation. I never tried to hook it up to my original Clarion head unit. But that original Clarion died about 18 months into my ownership and when I talked to Clarion support they told me it wasn't worth repairing and offered me a "goodwill" credit on their latest model (at that time) the NX 706. The NX 706 has worked great for me since. The new Clarion had a way to hook up that rear camera audio, but it took another piece of hardware to make that work and continue to have the cab stereo amplify the bunk TV audio to the coach overhead speakers. It is an audio switching module, it uses the same reverse light signal that triggers the rear camera switching to (now) also switch to the camera audio so I hear what the camera picks up. The NX 706 had a menu option to enable it which I leave turned on. So whenever I go into reverse the music stops if on and the rear audio can be heard.

Since I first did my rear camera audio upgrade I have now installed a soundbar/subwoofer for my bunk TV so I don't use the cab stereo for the TV anymore. I could eliminate the audio switching module if I wanted to, I just haven't.

If you want more info I am happy to help!
Thanks for the feedback! I had read your post about your camera mods a couple of weeks ago. Great job!

Do you have any delay between turning on a turn signal a seeing the video, or just a delay coming out? I have a delay on both ends. Mine does quickly cycle thru the rear cam in the way out like you mentioned.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James AO View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I had read your post about your camera mods a couple of weeks ago. Great job!

Do you have any delay between turning on a turn signal a seeing the video, or just a delay coming out? I have a delay on both ends. Mine does quickly cycle thru the rear cam in the way out like you mentioned.
Now that I think about it the turn signal picture activates quickly, less than a second I would guess. The delay is after canceling. I will look at my documentation on my laptop, maybe there is some spec that might help.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Now that I think about it the turn signal picture activates quickly, less than a second I would guess. The delay is after canceling. I will look at my documentation on my laptop, maybe there is some spec that might help.
Thank you again!
Old 09-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #6

I can't help much... our 2015 uses a different head unit that incorporates the switching of the cameras in the Jensen radio.

On our unit, all cameras are powered up and stay powered when the Head Unit is powered up. That in itself reduces the delay time in a camera being switched to - as it is already on.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #7

2019 Greyhawk 31F

We recently purchased an upgrade from our Jayco travel trailer to a class c Greyhawk 31F. Drove it back from Savannah upon purchase to Atlanta and all went well except we noticed a long (5-7) second delay for the side cameras to come on after the turn indicator is turned on or the vehicle is put into reverse. Also, the radio comes on when the turn indicator is used or the vehicle is put into reverse. The tech at Camping World said that it was working as it should. Go figure. As the RV has been in the shop since we got it back to Atlanta (about a month and a half ago) for the main power cord being pulled out sometime between our orientation and drive out to Atlanta, and the hydraulic levelers not working due to a pressure line failure and parts being delayed from Jayco, we haven’t been able to use it but hope to within another 3 weeks when the parts get in. Will talk with Jayco direct about the radio though as any lane change is over in traffic before the picture comes up to assist.
Skip76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip76 View Post
......though as any lane change is over in traffic before the picture comes up to assist.
My only comment here... Every driver has to rely on the mirrors of the vehicle they are driving... Please never rely on the camera systems in your vehicle to make decisions on your driving (unless you are at a stop - and are augmenting your mirrors with additional information to make an informed decision before you let your foot off the brake pedal) I still suggest that you get out and "GOAL" - Get out an look.

The split second you need to look beside you to decide if you change lanes in a crisis... should NEVER be made by relying on the camera monitor.

We now have 4 cameras on our Seneca.. I do not use them for driving... the DW uses them for observing the status of our rig going down the road, and documenting how great / poor I am driving (with our DVR attached to the cameras)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, clarion, voyager