Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2023, 09:51 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPAPA1970 View Post
I thought that might have been you guys. So you think this is the fix?
I sure hope so! It certainly is quieter going down the road.

I think now the only way the screws could "back out" and displace the outer vinyl cover strip is if the bolts actually sheared off. Not only are the nuts nylock self-locking, but I also used Loctite on each bolt. I had to cut the excess length off of most of the bolts inside in order to clear the wood trim cover, but left a number of them long as a means to secure the trim to the wall.Used stainless "barrel nuts" to hold the covers to the walls. Covers are easily removeable so I can inspect the inside if needed and make sure everything is still tight.

Rustynuts also has had good results with his very similar repair.
Attached Images

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:09 PM   #82

Quote:
Here is a picture of the completed driver's side seam outside, it is very "flat", I would have to say it possibly looks better than even when my rig was new.
Attached Thumbnails
Driver side seam finished.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:32 PM   #83

Quote:
Short answer….Yes

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:22 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Short answer….Yes
Rusty what did you do to cover strip on the inside? Same as Robbyr?
BIGPAPA1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:22 AM   #85

Quote:
Rusty what did you do to cover strip on the inside? Same as Robbyr?

I did mine last March and left it exposed all last year while traveling, with the wifes approval of course I wanted to watch the area and on some rough roads, I was even able to move the driver seat back and put my hand on the seam to feel for any movement and I never felt movement or any signs of any issue on some pretty bad roads. My passenger side is all covered except for the top 8" by the TV/Fireplace cabinet and I am beginning the work to add a cabinet to the drivers side, 54" tall and then trim similar to Robs the rest of the way up, just drew the cabinet up in CAD yesterday. I will post pics when I get it done.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:05 PM   #86

2022 factory fix

My unit has been at NIRV in Vegas for four months and they are finally making progress on the 20 items including massive paint and body work. I flew down last week to check on it and they were working on the drivers side. Apparently the factory fix for this is the additional wood support you can see here. Looks like it adds more support and a few more screw attachment points to prevent flex. For some reason the pictures below are sideways, but when I click on them they spin the right way...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7946.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	86302

Name:	IMG_7947.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	86303
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:26 PM   #87

There is a document out now on the repair that Jayco making only on units still under warranty. It looks like they may be doing this on new production units based on some of the pics in the document. I am in the process of doing this to mine now. I will do a new thread on it when I’m all done.
Attached Thumbnails
C7090DB6-AFF8-41E5-8318-9226E7542D02.jpg   4CFA3C9F-C64E-4914-8254-46FD9EE12BE6.jpg   1EEC2DBE-0A6E-4207-96C9-CC14019AC19F.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jayco seam wing wall modification.pdf (3.63 MB, 98 views)

Old 03-26-2023, 08:16 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydawg View Post
So...the last couple of trips, I notice the headliner moving around to the point it is tearing in a couple of places at the cab pillars. Also the interior cab light panel is popping out of it's location. I embark upon the cap interior failure project. I find the screws in the driver's side fiberglass have broken through the fiberglass and a very lame attempt by Jayco to use any fasteners from the cab into the bottom of the overhead bunk platform. Very disappointing to say the least.
Attachment 82430

Attachment 82431

Attachment 82432

Attachment 82433

Attachment 82434
It an amazes me how these are a total hit and miss on the assembly. I am working on doing mine like the Jayco document which is sealing and adding screws every 2” around the cab to overhead panel. Opened mine up today and surprised, it looks nothing like yours Deputydawg, mine was sealed tight with a white sealer and screwed very well around this section. I will still be adding the additional screws.
Attached Thumbnails
40D08834-BEA9-4B57-B0A2-2EF29387E99A.jpg   2B05E0E5-5540-4DB9-84DC-72A9CE93D647.jpg   E1914800-B595-4A24-BEC0-8904E8CA51DA.jpg   3ACD3959-A09B-46F1-B89A-249E181FA05D.jpg   F3C267F8-5A10-4188-83D2-34D2EBD91199.jpg  

Old 03-26-2023, 09:42 PM   #89

Name:	Top Cab.PNG
Views:	38
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	87116

We drove around 1,200 miles in the last week and the creaking noise is certainly diminished. Not the best job of putting the headliner back in, but I can fix that myself.

Question for anyone that has had this done, the new wall does not attach to the over head bunk portion very well along the red line area above. Is it supposed to be screwed into that as well? It is the end grain of the plywood so I am guessing it would not hold up very well anyway... Interested in seeing Rusty's pics of the process so I can better understand how this thing is attached and what it does to help.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:26 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
Attachment 87116

We drove around 1,200 miles in the last week and the creaking noise is certainly diminished. Not the best job of putting the headliner back in, but I can fix that myself.

Question for anyone that has had this done, the new wall does not attach to the over head bunk portion very well along the red line area above. Is it supposed to be screwed into that as well? It is the end grain of the plywood so I am guessing it would not hold up very well anyway... Interested in seeing Rusty's pics of the process so I can better understand how this thing is attached and what it does to help.
Well this new Wing Wall method is pretty new and I think I am the first to tackle it myself, Jayco refused to send me a copy of the document on this saying they would only send it to a dealer doing the work. The thing that is different than a dealer is I can take my time and do it right the first time. The document from Jayco shows using 3 screws across the top of the new Wing Wall panel. Usually there is a piece of hardwood screwed (typically split) to the end as a spacer for the finished wall panel. In the Jayco document it looks like the panel is shop/CDX plywood which is cheap crap plywood. What I am doing different is using Baltic Birch plywood for the wing wall panel and spacers and any place that wood contacts metal I am using the OSI Quad sealant/adhesive to create a strong bond along with the screws and eliminating squeaks as it is usually wood against metal that causes them. Screws do not blow out when screwed close to an edge with Baltic Birch as 3/4” is 13 plys, 1/2” is 11 plys and 3/8” is 9 plys and is very strong. I did find a surprise at the base of the wing wall behind the upholstery, a big open hole to the outside, you can see all the dirt in the pic, it was this way on both sides…..now I know where the draft in the cab was coming from.
Attached Thumbnails
243D11FB-374E-405E-A0F5-6EDBCD6DF0E5.jpg   7F7B3CAE-E0BE-45E9-8672-114E45F8F0FD.jpg   D2FCFD71-1140-4DDE-B96C-7260289AAC92.jpg   FCBE2711-F6AC-414E-8717-730DDCE1FF64.jpg  

Old 03-27-2023, 01:26 PM   #91

Rusty,

My unit certainly squeaked less on the rough ride home through Northern Arizona and New Mexico. Roads are brutal! That is the good news. I may pull mine apart and reinforce it further when I have the time. Very interested in addressing that draft spot as well. I thought I saw the bulletin floating around on the net someplace but I can't find it. Not sure if it was on the Facebook site or not. What are you seeing as the major benefit from the wing panel as far as reinforment? I understand the new fasteners for the fiberglass to replace the broken ones, where does the panel gain it's support?
Old 03-27-2023, 03:47 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
Rusty,

My unit certainly squeaked less on the rough ride home through Northern Arizona and New Mexico. Roads are brutal! That is the good news. I may pull mine apart and reinforce it further when I have the time. Very interested in addressing that draft spot as well. I thought I saw the bulletin floating around on the net someplace but I can't find it. Not sure if it was on the Facebook site or not. What are you seeing as the major benefit from the wing panel as far as reinforment? I understand the new fasteners for the fiberglass to replace the broken ones, where does the panel gain it's support?
Yes it was posted on Facebook and I posted it here. The original post was just screenshots and I just wanted to get the original pdf but Jayco wouldn’t send them. The purpose of the new wing wall is it ties the cab, sidewall, and panel over the cab together and minimize movement of them. The flexing is causing broken screws and squeaks. This simple panel adds some triangulation and is something that should have been added a long time ago.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:14 AM   #93

SRP 22-062 Jayco Wing Wall Modification

Rusty,

The factory sent it to me as my 2022 37M has started separating here and I wanted a copy to show 2 local area Jayco dealers. I told the factory I wanted the instructions to interview the dealers and decide who to choose for the warranty repairs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jayco seam wing wall modification.pdf (3.63 MB, 115 views)
Barxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 12:01 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barxy View Post
Rusty,

The factory sent it to me as my 2022 37M has started separating here and I wanted a copy to show 2 local area Jayco dealers. I told the factory I wanted the instructions to interview the dealers and decide who to choose for the warranty repairs.
Yes, thank you, those are the ones I got off Facebook, you must have posted them there.

Old 03-28-2023, 03:23 PM   #95

Quote:
Rusty,

Right on! I also agree to using Baltic Birch plywood for these repairs. Other types of plywood has gone so far down hill today, I'm not sure what it's good for.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:41 AM   #96

Quote:
Rusty,

This is excellent info thank you! I bought a 2023 Accolade XL which of course was built in 2022 so now I am wondering if mine has this wing wall or not.

Do you by any chance have this PDF without the "COPY SELECT ALL HIGHLIGHT" banner covering some of the modification info?

All you guys here rock! So much I have learned from you all.

James
737SimGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:15 AM   #97

I ran into a guy at the NIRV in Las Vegas that was full-timing it and unfortunately living at the dealership for the last few months as they worked on his 2022 37M. He was not aware of the forum or the separation issues and had complained to the dealer about them. Of course, they did not offer up the solution. I mentioned it to him and told him to demand the fix. Mine creaked bad and got worse, but you could not yet see real separation. I am sure it was coming. It is fairly easy to take off the panel behind the driver's seat and see if you have the fix or not. If you do not have the fix, let them know it is squeaking and feels like it is going to fall off over every bump in the road and that you know of the fix. I would not wait until the warranty runs out on this. It is not like a car you take into the Ford dealership, they don't test drive them to see how bad the noise is...
Old 03-30-2023, 01:30 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737SimGuy View Post
This is excellent info thank you! I bought a 2023 Accolade XL which of course was built in 2022 so now I am wondering if mine has this wing wall or not.

Do you by any chance have this PDF without the "COPY SELECT ALL HIGHLIGHT" banner covering some of the modification info?

All you guys here rock! So much I have learned from you all.

James
James,

If you PM me your email, I will send you a clear copy. Something happens to the file when it gets uploaded to cause the 1st page to show the copy select etc.
Barxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:16 AM   #99

A clear copy….. ?

Is it possible to get a clear copy as well ?
Gigjoec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 03:37 PM   #100

"the nuclear option".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Rustynuts and I have both done it. After two previous traditional repairs including larger and more stainless steel screws I went to "the nuclear option".

Used stainless 10-24 x 3" bolts, fender washers, and nylock nuts. Used a 2" wide backer strip floor to ceiling on both driver and passenger sides. Then I made wood covers to cover the seams.

Also took the opportunity to completely reconstruct the controls cabinet inside the entry door. Original was presswood covered with vinyl "woodgrain", it was falling apart.
i have discovered mine is having the same issue with the sides of the home...
2 questions i have ......
1 is it necessary to do the wing board mod if not showing an issue there ?
2 how is the nuclear option holding up ?
Gigjoec is offline   Reply With Quote