Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2018, 07:13 PM   #1

Seneca Compartment Pass-Thru Storage Creation

Until very recently Freightliner-based Senecas did not have any compartment pass-thru storage. Where one might expect them to be, there are thin plywood "block-off" covers on each side. After inspecting the two forward large compartments I determined it would not be difficult to construct a "platform" to bridge the space between the two sides and cover the wiring harnesses that run through that space.

After some arranging of the wiring, I fabricated a frame made of aluminum square tubing and angle stock. I TIG welded it together and then affixed a plywood deck to the frame and then installed it into the compartment. It weighs less than 15 lbs. assembled, not a problem on a Seneca! Tight fit through the door, but it made it without a problem.

Since my unit is a TS model, the driver side slideout is very large. As a result the basement compartments are not as tall on that side. So I anticipate I will always access the newly created space from the taller passenger side compartments. Knowing that, I installed aluminum angle to keep objects from sliding too far to the driver's side. One addition I will add are sheet metal "covers" for the slideout mechanism to keep anything stored underneath from contacting the moving slideout parts accidently.

Here are a few pictures showing the space before, the new "shelf", and the completed storage. I have one completed, the second should be done tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Compartment before shelf installation.jpg   Shelf framework 1.jpg   Shelf completed before installation.jpg   Shelf installed.jpg   Compartment loaded.jpg  

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
MD3

I was just looking at this today. Mine is a rats nest of wiring. They couldn't have made it any more of a mess of wires if they would have tried. Such a shame with the loss of usable space.....

Mine has not only through wires but up/down running wires. Not sure if I can make it usable or not. Super disappointing !!

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #3

Likely the different floor plans, too bad. The wiring in both of my large compartments look like my "before" picture, just running from front to back. Made it fairly easy to accomplish.

Sorry yours isn't possible.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #4

On the 2017 rb the only compartment you can do that to is the very first one. I used plywood to do the same thing.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
On the 2017 rb the only compartment you can do that to is the very first one. I used plywood to do the same thing.
Yes, my very first one is pass through on mine. The big one behind the entry door is where I want to make it pass through like above. I haven't given up hope but it's gonna take some getting creative to make it work.

-
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 07-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

Go look at the 31FK outdoor kitchen mod - with basement slide

2011 Jayco 31FK, Ford, Class C
2009 Honda CRV - Toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Invisibrake
Outdoor Kitchen Mod
Bobsanchez44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #7

Another job well done Rob. We are on day one of our 3 month trip and have used the newly created space. What a difference it makes.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #8

Thanks Mark! Not Florida heat, but it was about 90 and humid the 3 days I worked on it. Give me 60 and I am in heaven! Finished the 2nd compartment today, so now both compartments aft of the entry door are finished.

Now on to my sewer hose storage plan and mounting my Barker sewer tote up behind the rear axle. Always something to improve!
Attached Thumbnails
Completed front compartment.jpg  
Old 07-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
MD3

So awesome to see these mods. Always gives a person something to strive for.
I really want to do the pass through on the first compartment behind the entry door. The second compartment on the RB has tanks due to the 2-gray/2-black tank setup, so not sure I can do much there.

Here is how I’m starting.... you’ve motivated me to try to make something work.
Attached Thumbnails
4258FAB5-8714-4D95-84B4-0D8A5EE6AEDA.jpg  
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 07-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #10

Rob, I also did the very rear compartment. It’s a good place for brooms, kayak padddles and other long narrow objects. I put a stop to protect the water heater area and acces only from the right side.
Attached Thumbnails
038D7275-BA5A-40B7-8A38-E0A2B889B0AF.jpg  
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #11

In that rear right compartment pass-thru I installed my 2 gallon water accumulator. It is connected to the cold water line on that line's way to the hot water heater. The accumulator really dampens the pulsations when using the onboard pump. Also "stores" enough water so that small uses don't even trigger the pump.

But I still have some room left, so now you have me thinking again. Maybe a piece of 6" plastic pipe to carry..............!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Rob, I also did the very rear compartment. It’s a good place for brooms, kayak padddles and other long narrow objects. I put a stop to protect the water heater area and acces only from the right side.
I did the same thing... but since it is only accessable from the passenger side, we sometimes get things pushed back in that.... and need to have a hook to snag them and pull them out, as the width of the compartment door is not big enough to allow me to crawl into.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #13

We bundled our wires into gutters, and attached the gutters to the wall or floor to protect them from any of the storage items (mostly folding tables, for us). Moving from a 5'er to the Seneca, we were used to a huge pass-through basement, so we really needed that long storage area!
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote