Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
CAH

Seneca counter top

On my 08 Seneca GS the pantry cabinet by the kitchen sink tore away from it mounting screws. Except for the wood stick that was stapled to the bottom of the kitchen counter top. These staples were pulled loose but the two wood holding screws were still in the wood support and pantry cabinet. Would like to glue a new wood support back to the counter top but need to know what the counter top material is or the best adhesive to use. Just a FYI the pantry cabinet was hiding the two electrical voltages going to the slide. With the pantry out I found the 110v wire with two bare wire spots. Best I could tell it was catching on the metal electrical box. Another maintenance question, does anyone know the name, part number, type gel, oil base, water base, for the maple stain used on the cabinets inside? Thanks for any input.
CAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #2

We fear that our cabinet may have done the same thing. Do you have any pictures of what you found?

We have always used and would suggest Gorilla Construction Adhesive for repairs such as this. Caulk-sized tube is less than $10 at Walmart.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
CAH

Thanks

2008Seneca thanks for the response. The Jayco brochure says “piece J-Stone® solid surface countertop w/integrated deep bowls” Cannot find information on the web for J-Stone® in the USA, except for a J_Stone repair business in Islip NY. Need to know what kind of resin the countertop is. Gorilla web site says *Not recommended for use on polyethylene, polypropylene, bitumen or similar material. Countertopguides.com talks about resin-countertops.html “countertops are crafted from cured epoxy, acrylic or polyester resin. They go on to say Corian “is made exclusively from acrylic polyester” Thus I need to know the resin used in the countertop as Gorilla and Liquid Nails may not work if the countertop is a poly resin. Now, back to your request, will try to load some photos. The first photo shows 5 screw holes on the lower pantry, there is 3 screw inside the pantry above each shelve. The last photo shows the electrical boxes. Had to remove them from the floor to remove the wire. Looks like I can only load 2 files.
Attached Thumbnails
pantry screw holes copy.jpg   electrical boxes removed.jpg  
Old 06-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
CAH

Thanks 2

The next picture shows the wood support on top of the countertop that was torn away from under the countertop.
Attached Thumbnails
under counter wood.jpg  
Old 06-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAH View Post
The next picture shows the wood support on top of the countertop that was torn away from under the countertop.
If your counters are solid surface, not laminate on a wood core. I would use silicone. It will stick to both acrylic or polyester based solid surface. I know Jayco use to use LG Hi Macs not sure what brand you have but they are all basically the same. Most are acrylic based not polyester based products. Silicone is the recommended adhesive to adhere the top to the cabinets also. Early days of Corian silicone was used to join sheets together, until Avonite developed matching adhesive ( similar to epoxy). I have done solid surface counters since the late 60's...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAH View Post
2008Seneca thanks for the response. The Jayco brochure says “piece J-Stone® solid surface countertop w/integrated deep bowls” Cannot find information on the web for J-Stone® in the USA, except for a J_Stone repair business in Islip NY. Need to know what kind of resin the countertop is. Gorilla web site says *Not recommended for use on polyethylene, polypropylene, bitumen or similar material. Countertopguides.com talks about resin-countertops.html “countertops are crafted from cured epoxy, acrylic or polyester resin. They go on to say Corian “is made exclusively from acrylic polyester” Thus I need to know the resin used in the countertop as Gorilla and Liquid Nails may not work if the countertop is a poly resin. Now, back to your request, will try to load some photos. The first photo shows 5 screw holes on the lower pantry, there is 3 screw inside the pantry above each shelve. The last photo shows the electrical boxes. Had to remove them from the floor to remove the wire. Looks like I can only load 2 files.
Corian is an acrylic based product not polyester. You don't use both resins it's one or the other. Silicone is the approved adhesive...it needs to have some "give" in the adhesive as the corian will expand and contract (all solid surface ) with temperature changes.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #7

Thanks for your time and pictures.
This is not an uncommon problem with the 35GS. There have been other's with the exact same problem and needs for repairs.

Upon further investigation today that doesn't appear to be our problem yet.
Ours is related to the aft portion of the slide which has dropped almost 1/2" lower than the front. And it seems to have something to do with a spacer rail that has given way.

We will post a copy of the picture showing the collapsed spacer just as soon as our sync completes.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Corian is an acrylic based product not polyester. You don't use both resins it's one or the other. Silicone is the approved adhesive...it needs to have some "give" in the adhesive as the corian will expand and contract (all solid surface ) with temperature changes.
In that case we also recommend the Gorilla sealant. It comes in both a clear and white (paintable). We bought the smaller tube over the weekend for some other repairs.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:29 AM   #9
CAH

More Thanks

Thanks Wags999 for your input. Jayco calls the countertop a J-Stone material. I guess the J could equal Jayco. The reason I put the information about Corian, which I could not understand, was from this paragraph “Weaknesses: The biggest drawback to consider when shopping for resin countertops is the lack of consistency among products. Not all resin bathroom and kitchen countertops are created equal. As noted, acrylic resin is preferred to polyester resin. Corian, one of the most durable and highly-rated solid surface countertop materials is made exclusively from acrylic polyester.” This is from the following website; countertopguides.com/materials/resin-countertops.html Will go with your suggestion for a silicone adhesive, did find this information “Not only does GE Iron Grip 100% Silicone Adhesive work on fiberglass, polystyrene, stone, laminate, wood and MDF, it delivers results on substrates where other adhesives fall short.” 2008Seneca glad you found your problem.