Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 AM   #1

Seneca Exterior Trim Molding Gaps

We put these vehicles through low level hurricane force winds as we drive them down the highway at 60 to 70 mph's, so I always look at the seams and trim at least once a year to make sure nothing is opening up, as I clean and polish my unit.

On then roof, I have used Enduro tape over all the caulked edges and seams.
White on the roof surface around the vents and satellite connections and then black around the exterior trim cap to match the color and not standout where it can be seen from the ground. I've done this on 2 trailers before this coach and very satisfied with the results.

Doing my annual cleaning and inspection and have noticed a couple of places where exterior trim molding seams have a gap or crack in sealant along the trim molding. In the past any open seam have been filled with a silicone caulking. In cleaning above the cab I noticed the edge of the trim coming loose. Sealed with caulking, but wondered if anyone has used a screw through the molding for a better mechanical attachment? I just can't seem to get this trim to snap back in place or stay tight on this horizontal surface, so just filled the seam with caulk, but looking for other ideas.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #2

On my 2017 Seneca the vertical seem between the cab and the body on the passanger side before the door all the the screws that went up that seam were snapped off from being over tighten. I removed the molding and replaced several screws. I've had this problem in several areas on my camper. I nick named it Snappy because of it.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
We put these vehicles through low level hurricane force winds as we drive them down the highway at 60 to 70 mph's, so I always look at the seams and trim at least once a year to make sure nothing is opening up, as I clean and polish my unit.

On then roof, I have used Enduro tape over all the caulked edges and seams.
White on the roof surface around the vents and satellite connections and then black around the exterior trim cap to match the color and not standout where it can be seen from the ground. I've done this on 2 trailers before this coach and very satisfied with the results.

Doing my annual cleaning and inspection and have noticed a couple of places where exterior trim molding seams have a gap or crack in sealant along the trim molding. In the past any open seam have been filled with a silicone caulking. In cleaning above the cab I noticed the edge of the trim coming loose. Sealed with caulking, but wondered if anyone has used a screw through the molding for a better mechanical attachment? I just can't seem to get this trim to snap back in place or stay tight on this horizontal surface, so just filled the seam with caulk, but looking for other ideas.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Like this? I just picked up this rig and had the dealer address gaps in left rear corner seal and seal around the passenger side slide in the corner. Same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
6038F40E-870D-4F3F-8B60-C85D5C4E248E.jpg  
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:37 AM   #4

Aaron, that probably does need screws; glad they are fixing it for you.

When the front wheels get lifted off the ground I wonder if this is too much stress and causes the screws in that front seam to pop. That being said I saw Steve’s pictures from parking on the beach and his wheels are way off the ground so my thoughts are just a theory. I do try to support the front of the truck on boards to avoid these tires being in the air.

I was cautioned from this forum on the use of silicon as I learned here that it will not stick to itself on reapplication. Several members recommended geocell clear and I use blue painters tape on either side of the area to be caulked. You just need to remove the tape immediately after application.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Aaron, that probably does need screws; glad they are fixing it for you.

When the front wheels get lifted off the ground I wonder if this is too much stress and causes the screws in that front seam to pop. That being said I saw Steve’s pictures from parking on the beach and his wheels are way off the ground so my thoughts are just a theory. I do try to support the front of the truck on boards to avoid these tires being in the air.

I was cautioned from this forum on the use of silicon as I learned here that it will not stick to itself on reapplication. Several members recommended geocell clear and I use blue painters tape on either side of the area to be caulked. You just need to remove the tape immediately after application.
Good point on the silicone. I think it’s what they used but will have to confirm when we get it out of storage tomorrow. Steve shared the stuff he uses in the image.
Attached Thumbnails
956774C1-022F-4B6C-A70B-2211BBBA1D0E.jpeg  
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #6

Another specific area to watch is the top seam of the lower trim molding on the slide outs. I try to do a complete hand washing and polishing once a year, just to check all seams and surfaces. And basically use the same product as Aaron showed. Lots of flexing going on, you got to keep an eye on things. Thanks for the comments. Never forget its hurricane winds, just driving down the highway. Think of how your house would handle such a brutal environment.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote