Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #1

Seneca Fenders

I've seen other posts listing replacing screws which hold the rear fenders on Seneca MHs, however haven't seen any solution to the problem. Seems every trip I have a broken screw and/or a fender flapping in the breeze. I usually have to move the bracket because the holes are wallowed out or the broken screw is still in the panel. Are the screws popping because of body flex from going over uneven driveways, etc?

I'm thinking a fix would be a flexible attachment between the fender and wheel well. Any thoughts from this ingenious group. Bungees in eyebolts, rubber grommets. Being a retired engineer, I'd probably have air struts attached to some sort of cam linkage being regulated by a closed loop feedback system.
jaypkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #2

Which Seneca year and model do you have?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

I assume you are referring to the wheel cutout fender. I had to replace the screws and used stainless self drilling screws. I also added an additional bracket so I have two brackets with two screws on each side. I haven’t had any issues in the past year with this fix.

I think over the past year I have replaced almost every self drilling screw that the factory installed. They overtightened every screw and nothing worse than driving through Washington in heavy traffic and seeing one of the panels flapping in the breeze.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
Site Team

How about backing the metal with a tinnerman nut or one like these?

https://www.google.com/search?q=spee...wQsAR6BAgFEAE&
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #5

I now have a 2017 Seneca, but had the same issue on my 2010.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I assume you are referring to the wheel cutout fender. I had to replace the screws and used stainless self drilling screws. I also added an additional bracket so I have two brackets with two screws on each side. I haven’t had any issues in the past year with this fix.

I think over the past year I have replaced almost every self drilling screw that the factory installed. They overtightened every screw and nothing worse than driving through Washington in heavy traffic and seeing one of the panels flapping in the breeze.
I'll try doubling up brackets and using stainless screws (higher strength). May also attach a lanyard just in case. Similar episode to you, but at night in a narrow lane construction zone with cars passing my "wing", surprised no one hit it. Was able to exit and tape it up until my next stop.

Tags
fender, screws, seneca