Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #21

At around 500 hours, we had a generator failure that was "in simple terms" an invertor failure. Covered by warranty, but did require generator removed and kept for a day at the Cummins dealer. I would imagine that type of work would cost quite a bit. Bench testing under load was part of the testing after parts were replaced and installed. 1257 hours at the end of the year/month and still going strong. Interesting that we have not that much more on our Cummins under the hood. At a little over 60K miles, we have 1406 hours on that engine.

Love this rig, in it for 5 months this Winter in Florida. This is our 4th Winter doing this. Truly, living the dream.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #22

Ric,

We share your sentiments... We went to Florida last year and were gone from November to April ... and are sorely missing the warmer weather this winter. Being our first EVER trip for longer than two weeks away from home, we were so comfortable in our Seneca that we are wanting to do this for the rest of our winters. (why we are not this year is another topic in itself)

We look at the Genny as one of the fundamental parts of our Seneca, and we also rely on it to make sure that we are "at work" every day when there is no power in our campground, or no power within miles of our camp - it does not really matter where we are!

I dropped off the Seneca this afternoon at the Cummins/Onan service center in Salt Lake City today... Tomorrow, the Genny comes out for it's "Level II" service.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress right here...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Very interesting concept! I will have to see if I can come up with something in the Spring. One would have to make part of the door support framework removeable and ensure all the connected wires and hoses have enough slack. But all possible I think!
Lots to design for sure... If anyone on JOF was up for the challenge, I would agree that it would be YOU!

While at the Onan/Cummins center today, I walked past 22 bays with motorhomes, Self Contained Generators on Trailers (24ft trailer/containers), Tractors with PDU's being worked on. The majority were for Generator service, and the rest were DP motorhomes with the rear of the units torn apart in all kids of ways that I am thankful for the Seneca having the drivetrain up front.

The one thing I noticed was that there were more benches, than bays. Yes it is a Cummins (and Onan) shop, but there were a lot of "genny's" getting worked on there in comparison.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Lots to design for sure... If anyone on JOF was up for the challenge, I would agree that it would be YOU!
Started researching heavy-duty drawer slides today, Cummins Onan does sell a set but they are over $800.00! Cummins part #050–00012.

I will continue researching it, likely their setup is some fabricated rails and sets of slides working in tandem. Perhaps it can be duplicated!
Attached Thumbnails
050-00012_1.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #25

As a retired Cabinetmaker, my go to slide was always Accuride. Looked up the 8k generator weight and it says 420 lbs. Accuride 9308E is rated at 600lbs a pair and are a lock-in and lock-out slide to lock into position. I bought a bunch of these in a clearance deal ($8.50 each). from a supplier in lengths from 22” - 60”..... I’ll have to dig some out and take some measurement.

https://www.accuride.com/c9308e-heav...n-and-lock-out

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Started researching heavy-duty drawer slides today, Cummins Onan does sell a set but they are over $800.00! Cummins part #050–00012.

I will continue researching it, likely their setup is some fabricated rails and sets of slides working in tandem. Perhaps it can be duplicated!
Not sure they have to be so easy to slide out, meaning it's not like it would be used as a drawer on a daily basis. Perhaps angle iron rails with rollers. Might want to add drop legs when it is extended for additional support.

Interesting.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:48 AM   #27

Battery tray

What about the trey our batteries slide on from Mor Ride; wonder if they could make one for the gen. While it doesn’t need to slide daily, it would may maintance easier.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbroussard View Post
Not sure they have to be so easy to slide out, meaning it's not like it would be used as a drawer on a daily basis.
Most big Class A DPs have the generator below and between the driver and passenger on a slide out 'drawer' opening out from beneath the windshield. I'd check that arrangement first for ideas.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Most big Class A DPs have the generator below and between the driver and passenger on a slide out 'drawer' opening out from beneath the windshield. I'd check that arrangement first for ideas.
There was two of these big 3-axle Class A's in the shop yesterday that were getting genny service (besides the ones having engines torn apart)... I am not sure of what was wrong with those genny's, but they were also removed from the pull-out slide in the motorhome and both were being worked on the bench. Those slide out mechanisms are pretty interesting, both were power driven with the front cowling coming out with the genny on the slide.

Could it be that they remove them so they can be load tested with their instrumentation and load testing is only on the bench? Makes me wonder???