Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #1

Seneca house batteries recommendations

Greetings, all:

We're preparing our 2015 Seneca for traveling north for the summer, now that the area seems to have thawed, and have discovered our four house batteries need to be replaced. I'm far from an electrical expert, so I will appreciate your recommendations for new deep cycle batteries. What do you think about the Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery (Group Size 34M)?
PopRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:45 PM   #2

Don't know particular long-term history regarding that battery, but a quick check showed that it is indeed a "dual-purpose" battery, not a dedicated deep-cycle battery. Examples of deep-cycle battery types may be a 6-volt golf cart battery like Trojan and other manufacturers offer. What does that mean? Generally true deep-cycle batteries have thicker plates which can translate to more charge/discharge cycles and longer useful life when properly cared for. That care includes not excessively discharging them and keeping them properly watered. If you talk to those who are big into solar, many will say "real" deep-cycle batteries provide the best service for the lowest cost. But now lithium batteries are showing up more and more........

An advantage to the AGM batteries is not having to periodically water them. But excessively discharging them will also greatly shorten their life. If you don't boondock often and don't plan to install solar you will likely be served well by the batteries you mention.

I have 4 Trojan T-105 6-volt batteries in my Seneca and they are great. I also have a single point watering system that makes keeping them watered a 5-minute trouble free task.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #3

Interesting. So you use 4 6-volt batteries instead of 4 12-volts. I would have assumed you needed 8 6-volts to replace 4 12-volts. Thank you for your reply.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRocks View Post
Interesting. So you use 4 6-volt batteries instead of 4 12-volts. I would have assumed you needed 8 6-volts to replace 4 12-volts. Thank you for your reply.
Yes, 4 6-volts. A pair of 6-volt batteries are connected in series to provide 12-volts, then the two pair of batteries are connected in parallel to double the available amp-hours. Here is a picture of how they are connected. You can also see my Trojan HydroLink watering system in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery wiring.jpg  
Old 03-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #5

Thanks so much.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRocks View Post
I second everything that Robby said and 4 Trojan T-105s will give you more amp hours than any 4 - 12 volt batteries that I’m familiar with and as Robby said much longer service life Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:43 PM   #7

I will also agree with Robby, I have always converted to Trojan 105’s (4 - 6volt) in all my RV’s. I have heard a lot of good about the 6 volt deep cycles from Costco also and they are a little cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails
45D2AAA4-D406-415B-A5E5-AC349EBB6D25.jpeg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #8

While not an expert by any means(on anything) I would like to offer the following. I cannot disagree with the previous posts,but I fail to see the advantage of and additional expense of the deep cycle batteries if you do not plan on boondocking. For my situation, since we are getting to old for the boondocking life, I replaced my house batteries with conventional automotive series 27 batteries from Walmart which have a full 3 year replacement and then a prorated period after that at substantially less cost than going with the type batteries mentioned above.
The point being, your choice should be influenced by how you plan to use your RV
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Sam

Robby, I am going to replace my Interstate deep cycle 6V batteries in the next few months. I have had them in my Seneca for almost 4 1/2 years. I am looking at the Trojan T-145 and the T-105. Trojan web site suggests the T-145 are worth the extra expense because of more performance and longer life. Since you have the T-105 what are your thoughts? I would really like to have the new Trojan Trillium Lithium batteries but at about $1100 times two batteries that is a lot of money. Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Robby, I am going to replace my Interstate deep cycle 6V batteries in the next few months. I have had them in my Seneca for almost 4 1/2 years. I am looking at the Trojan T-145 and the T-105. Trojan web site suggests the T-145 are worth the extra expense because of more performance and longer life. Since you have the T-105 what are your thoughts? I would really like to have the new Trojan Trillium Lithium batteries but at about $1100 times two batteries that is a lot of money. Sam
The T-145 batteries are slightly taller, but if you have overhead room I would go that way if they are available and the cost difference is not outrageous. I would have gone with the T-145 variety myself had I not been leaving on a trip in just a couple of days when my OE Harris batteries died. My distributor would have had to special order the T-145 batteries but had a whole pallet of the T-105's just received. And they gave me a "safety forces" 15% discount on in-stock sales but special orders had no discount. So to get on the road I went T-105, and based on my experiences I have no regrets!
Old 03-30-2019, 01:41 AM   #11
MD3

I did the Costco 6v batteries (4 of them) in our Seneca.
They are Interstate batteries.
$80-90 each last time I bought them.

Converted our last class A to these also, zero issues.
Neighbors also run them in their RV.

I run the Costco Interstate batteries in every vehicle we have. Only one issue ever with a car battery and the warranty covered it completely.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #12

Last month our 2015-vintage OEM Harris batteries gave out so I replaced them with a set of four Crown CR-235 deep cycle 6V's from the local marine supply shop. Total cost with field installation was $556.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
Sam

Robby, thanks for the info on increased height of the T-145. I measured my battery compartment space and I am concerned that I may not have enough vertical clearance. I have decided to go with the T-105. Thanks again, you saved me potentially a big problem by ordering the wrong size batteries. Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote