Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2022, 10:58 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydawg View Post
What brand model BIM did you install? I asked Battleborn about the Victron Orion but they stated it would be a very slow charge from the alternator.
I'm replacing the existing Precision Circuit BIM for the one made for lithium batteries.
https://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com...thium-battery/
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:07 AM   #42

Thanks,

That is the model that Battleborn is sending me with my batteries.

Does this replace the OEM Isolator solenoid? How is it wired with the Aux start system?
Deputydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semix-Hex View Post
I had specifically asked the company about the two 2/0 vs the 4/0 to the inverter itself, hence the two 2/0's. Everything else is 4/0. I mades the runs as short as possible.

I'll be looking forward to the update.
Victron has said either method is fine depending on the length of the run. This has been brought up on the Victron Community forums many time and Victron techs answered it, I just wanted fewer cables. They only call for 2x 1/0 up to 5 meters (16’) so I used 4/0 as mine are only 20” long.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #44

Quote:
What brand model BIM did you install? I asked Battleborn about the Victron Orion but they stated it would be a very slow charge from the alternator.

I used the Precision Circuits BIM, it’s the one Battleborn suggests and sells. It replaces the existing unit directly, but I see you have a 2017 so on the new unit there is no terminal for the generator wire that is on the older ones. Precision Circuits said to just leave the generator wire disconnected as it’s not needed with the newer BIM

https://battlebornbatteries.com/prod...ation-manager/

Old 03-03-2022, 01:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Nice work! (and a lot of it) What did you use for a wiring diagram when you first started the lithium/solar install?

I am embarking on a Li/solar install myself and it appears daunting. Would you recommend using the OEM converter (Progressive Dynamics PD4590) it has a single stage lithium charge option 14.6v and the Magnum Dimensions CSW2012 inverter?
Thanks
Brian (above), uses some kind of sorcery to come up with schematics for Jayco coaches. I just followed most of the wires to their sources. I kept the Progressive Dynamics panel and converter as well as the subpanel , though I need to change the subpanel out to make it more useful. I don't have any experience with the Magnum line.
2019 F-150
Old 03-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Nice work! (and a lot of it) What did you use for a wiring diagram when you first started the lithium/solar install?

I am embarking on a Li/solar install myself and it appears daunting. Would you recommend using the OEM converter (Progressive Dynamics PD4590) it has a single stage lithium charge option 14.6v and the Magnum Dimensions CSW2012 inverter?
Thanks
I have all the wiring diagrams for my coach, I emailed Jayco along with my VIN, asking for all 12v and 120v diagrams and they sent me the PDFs. I have to admit, they aren’t that helpful as they are very generic. I kept the PD4590 and just disconnected the original charger in it and left it there for a backup as the Multiplus II is a Inverter/Charger all in one unit. I moved the breakers that Jayco wiried for the inverter in the separate panel into the main panel by using a couple double breakers, making sure to balance L1 & L2. You can use the existing charger in the 4590 but it will only charge the lithium up to about 80% but you can press the boost button by the flashing green light and it will output a 14.6v charge which will put you up to 100% many people re doing this. The CSW2012 is an extremely cheap inverter, I was on my 3rd unit before I made the move to the Victron. Magnum kept replacing them under warranty, but I didn’t have to much faith in them.

Making the jump to lithium and an inverter like the Multiplus II is an expensive jump but should outlast me, I know the batteries will. With the Victron setup, you have great control over the system and if the system has wifi, it can also be remotely controlled through an online Victron VRM portal

A really nice feature of the Multiplus II is the power assist. You can set you incoming amperage, right now I am plugged into a 20amp circuit and at the bottom of the red shore power box, I have the limit set to 19 amps. If you use more power that the Multiplus sees available, then it will draw power from the batteries and assist the load with the inverter all seamlessly. I have EasyStarts in both AC units and I can run both heat pumps or AC on the 20 amp outlet. This is nice if you Moochdock very much or only have 30amp power at a campground, you always have the Multiplus there to assist the load when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
A185ABF5-3584-4B68-9278-E3271ABDFE07.jpg   30597A96-96BC-4D75-B74F-99216AA9B3CC.jpg  

Old 03-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #47

PD converter

Quote:
Brian (above), uses some kind of sorcery to come up with schematics for Jayco coaches. I just followed most of the wires to their sources. I kept the Progressive Dynamics panel and converter as well as the subpanel , though I need to change the subpanel out to make it more useful. I don't have any experience with the Magnum line.

Has the PD converter performed OK for the Lithium charging?
Old 03-04-2022, 03:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Has the PD converter performed OK for the Lithium charging?
I know JamesAO on this site had converted to Lion Lithium batteries and he was just using the original converter/charger by occasionally pressing the boost button to get the batteries to 100%. I believe I read the other day the Progressive even says to use this method.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:47 PM   #49

Rusty, I have same impression of the wiring diagram from Jayco. I chased them for help on reconnecting tank monitor wires (I have 1 year old 37K with dual bath) as those wires pulled out immediately once I started shoving stuff in the garage. They could tell me how to reconnect those exact “clipy wire connectors” so they sent me then entire coach wiring diagram. It will be decades before I can decipher that thing. Rig finally now in for warranty work, so I’m hoping it magically comes back fixed!
T-CURR503&425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:05 PM   #50

So I think I’m caught up reading this entire thread, posts since 2017, very impressive. Much has changed to improve the component options for solar conversion, Lithium battery upgrades, etc., in the last few years. I’m defiantly going to benefit from starting the conversion in 2022, with Victron’s new Multiplus II 2x120v (for 50Amp) new box, integrating a smart phase shift. However, I have not seen much discussion on my biggest issue/concern, which is COLD WEATHER considerations for this mod. I’m primary embarking on this mod so that I can sit in the snow in many of the NW’s great ski area’s and sleep 200yards from a ski lift. As my new 37K is my 3rd RV (Airstream>>Mercedes Sprinter based Tiffin>>Seneca) I’ve been witnessing and experiencing cold weather complications many times over. This new modification I want to do right.
First question…should a start a separate thread to address cold climate usage or just pelt you all with my questions on batteries, solar, etc., here?
Second questions…has anyone contemplated moving their Battery bank inside (let’s say under the bed, or in the lower part of the pantry? Heated Battle Born batteries are an option, but they cannablize their own storage. Lithium bats are light, but will the added weight muck up the slides?
The water lines, water pump placement and batteries are the 3 issues I have to solve to really make a solid 4 season platform.
Could just be a matter of moving them, but is that smart? Pro’s? Cons?
Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Tim C
Kirkland, WA
2021 Jayco Seneca 37K
(Sold) 2018 Tiffin Wayfarer 26
(Sold) 2010 Airstream International 25
Dingy = 2021 Jeep 4xe (PIH)
T-CURR503&425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:46 PM   #51

I have done a similar install n my 2021 Melbourne Prestige LP although 30 amps with Victron equipment.Ideally lithium batteries (LiFePo4) would be best kept in the heated portion of the rig. I’m moving my 4 SOK 206’s under my bed. I have secondary methods to heat the batteries. Most newer batteries worth buying have heaters. They’ll discharge to below zero to probably -10 Fahrenheit. They charge down to just above freezing. Most batteries also have high and low protection built in. I too want four season operation.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CURR503&425 View Post
So I think I’m caught up reading this entire thread, posts since 2017, very impressive. Much has changed to improve the component options for solar conversion, Lithium battery upgrades, etc., in the last few years. I’m defiantly going to benefit from starting the conversion in 2022, with Victron’s new Multiplus II 2x120v (for 50Amp) new box, integrating a smart phase shift. However, I have not seen much discussion on my biggest issue/concern, which is COLD WEATHER considerations for this mod. I’m primary embarking on this mod so that I can sit in the snow in many of the NW’s great ski area’s and sleep 200yards from a ski lift. As my new 37K is my 3rd RV (Airstream>>Mercedes Sprinter based Tiffin>>Seneca) I’ve been witnessing and experiencing cold weather complications many times over. This new modification I want to do right.
First question…should a start a separate thread to address cold climate usage or just pelt you all with my questions on batteries, solar, etc., here?
Second questions…has anyone contemplated moving their Battery bank inside (let’s say under the bed, or in the lower part of the pantry? Heated Battle Born batteries are an option, but they cannablize their own storage. Lithium bats are light, but will the added weight muck up the slides?
The water lines, water pump placement and batteries are the 3 issues I have to solve to really make a solid 4 season platform.
Could just be a matter of moving them, but is that smart? Pro’s? Cons?
Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Tim C
Kirkland, WA
2021 Jayco Seneca 37K
(Sold) 2018 Tiffin Wayfarer 26
(Sold) 2010 Airstream International 25
Dingy = 2021 Jeep 4xe (PIH)
I live North of Spokane and I gave up on trying to keep my six 6vdc 266 amp agm batteries warm enough to accept a decent charge, let alone power my very small cabin.
I had my panels tilted nearly 85⁰ and with the surrounding forest, I just couldn't get enough sun. (I use Avenza there). During mid Spring to mid Fall, absolutely no problem.

I know you can get tilt units for RV's but I haven't tried them.
2019 F-150
Old 03-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CURR503&425 View Post
integrating a smart phase shift.

However, I have not seen much discussion on my biggest issue/concern, which is COLD WEATHER considerations for this mod.
The Smart Phase Selector (SPS) is not needed with the new Victron Multiplus II. AM solar was making the SPS to use the Victron Multiplus which is great for a 30amp system, to be used on a 50amp system to power the whole coach…..the new Multiplus II 2x120 accomplishes this.

The only concern is the Lithium battery pack in cold weather which cold doesn’t hurt them unless you try and charge them. We also boondock while snowmobiling and I have covered insulating water lines and compartments and adding heat to the wet bay in other threads. I installed my Lifepo4 batteries in the main common area storage, right behind the Inverter. I also installed a Xtreme bilge heater in this area that comes on at 40 degrees and off at 50 so the area the batteries are located is always heated which in turn keep the main area of the coach warmer. No matter where you install the batteries, you just want the inverter as close as possible to the battery bank.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:08 PM   #54

I finished the rough stuff on my inverter/solar/battery install. It seems to be working pretty well so far, we'll see tomorrow. I still have a lot to do!

I have two charge controllers since I can never tell my orientation from site to site so I have two sets of four panels run 2 series 2 parallel in two different directions to imo maximise production as well as possible for a flat panel setup. This also keeps voltage up (48vdc) and amps lower (18 amps), instead of other combinations.
Also, if one set fails, the other works.

Shade is always an issue on flat panel installs.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220323-144829.jpg   20220323_084010.jpg  
2019 F-150
Old 03-23-2022, 11:26 PM   #55

Quote:
I finished the rough stuff on my inverter/solar/battery install. It seems to be working pretty well so far, we'll see tomorrow. I still have a lot to do!

I have two charge controllers since I can never tell my orientation from site to site so I have two sets of four panels run 2 series 2 parallel in two different directions to imo maximise production as well as possible for a flat panel setup. This also keeps voltage up (48vdc) and amps lower (18 amps), instead of other combinations.
Also, if one set fails, the other works.

Shade is always an issue on flat panel installs.

Looks good, it’s a lot of work. I don’t know where you store your Seneca but if there is wifi available, like at your house and you have a Cerbo GX, get signed up for your free Victron VRM account. The Cerbo logs all data and you can access it online. Even if you only get access once in a while, it will upload to your account. At my house, I have wifi in the shop our Seneca is in and I can monitor, turn inverter off and on and I have also added Ruuvi sensors and can monitor temp and humidity in different area. It’s pretty cool, here are some screen shots.
Attached Thumbnails
A2B9B24F-88F0-4A30-AA09-8C169BBF1E51.jpg   2DE5D8CD-6382-4007-A63B-5FECFA0BF72A.jpg   5588D769-D0E0-4A0D-A8C1-CC5A2EEEC678.jpg   24DC407D-D820-4BEF-85E8-92F430B6785F.jpg  

Old 03-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #56

How I wish I could do this. At least Stevens country put the word Wi-Fi in their dictionary to show they are at least aware of it. And in Mariposa, it works to about one meter from my house.
I would really like to be able to turn on my refrigerator, ac, fans remotely, though that has issues too.
2019 F-150
Old 04-07-2022, 12:55 PM   #57

Here's my completed install. Thanks for all the help. I couldn't have done it without your input. It was a straight shot from the pantry cabinet down to the basement.

4 Zamp 170w panels
Victron MPPT 100/50 charge controller
2 Battle Born GC3 270ah batteries
Magnum Dimensions CSW2012 2000w inverter
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB GC3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	80357

Name:	Charge controller.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	80358

Name:	Combiner Box.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	80359

Name:	Solar Panels.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	80360

Name:	Pantry wiring.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	80361
Old 04-07-2022, 02:09 PM   #58

Quote:
Here's my completed install. Thanks for all the help. I couldn't have done it without your input. It was a straight shot from the pantry cabinet down to the basement.

4 Zamp 170w panels
Victron MPPT 100/50 charge controller
2 Battle Born GC3 270ah batteries
Magnum Dimensions CSW2012 2000w inverter
Looking good!
It's a bit of work but worth it imo.
2019 F-150
Old 04-12-2022, 08:08 PM   #59

Md csw 2012-hx

Hey y'all,

Testing out the system in boondock mode. Operating the microwave with the TV triggers an E6 fault. ("Unit has sensed.....load is close to overload shutdown limit.

Any upgrade suggestions that won't require re-wiring the 12-2 romex back to the power center? (Or is that not a big deal?)
Old 04-12-2022, 09:26 PM   #60

Never mind,
After thinking it over....all 20A appliance circuits at home are on a single dedicated breaker. Because the inverter passes-through all current. it sees all circuits that run through it, even though they are on different circuit breakers on the sub-panel.