Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2021, 11:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Rustynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 2,569
Seneca Inverter Upgrade

Its been quite a project but finally finished up (almost) my inverter upgrade. Started with moving the existing transfer switch out from under the bed to down by the cord reel, this is in prep for adding the Smart Phase Selector when it becomes available again. Installed Victron Multiplus 3000 Hybrid Inverter/Charger, Cerbo GX, GX touch 50 screen, SmartSolar Charger and Lynx Power In Bus. For now the inverter is wired in just like the factory inverter was, through a sub panel but once the Smart Phase Selector is installed the whole coach will have access to the inverter power within its limits. With the hybrid inverter, if you are plugged into say a 15 or 30 amp outlet and you are needing more power, the inverter will supplement as needed. Everything can be controlled and monitored with the VictronConnect phone app. It will be nice not being limited to just a few outlets having inverter power.
Attached Thumbnails
03C3B7FC-2543-4014-8BBE-86154B051D2D.jpg   C55912BC-A78B-42AB-B564-43E1126F7247.jpg   8D250AF5-E4CC-4380-9971-A22B055742E3.jpg   C62133CF-B724-4158-A245-F709F88751A1.jpg   7B0B4679-1D06-4D28-8EAC-17BDA30E5784.jpg  

8019E7A1-C4ED-4221-894A-26E272DFB726.jpg  
__________________
Brian & Jeannie
2018.5 Seneca 37RB with to many mods to list
2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Woodland Park
Posts: 189
Wow... Just wow... That's amazing.

Jeff
__________________
Owner of a 2020 Jayco Seneca 37K - Purchased May 9th 2020
Owned 2019 Jayco Greyhawk 30X - Purchased May 31st 2019.
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Alamogordo
Posts: 33
Did you add a solar power system? I’m assuming so how many batteries did you use 6 I’m guessing. So when finished how much will the upgrade run the solar, transfer switch, batteries etc everything that went in to the upgrade parts then labor if you had the work done
Blackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Rustynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackey View Post
Did you add a solar power system? I’m assuming so how many batteries did you use 6 I’m guessing. So when finished how much will the upgrade run the solar, transfer switch, batteries etc everything that went in to the upgrade parts then labor if you had the work done
I already had added 600 watts of solar a couple years ago and just upgraded to the new Victron charger. I had also about 6-8 month as ago upgraded from 4 Trojan 105’s to 6 Lifeline 6 volts. Most of the wire and terminals I already had and I did all the labor myself. Still waiting on the SPS unit to finish but it’s up and running like it was wired from the factory. We already had the transfer switch from the factory and I just moved it into the compartment to make all the other wiring easier. This phase of the upgrade with the inverter, collar charger, Cerbo GX and touch screen probably ran $2200-$2500
__________________
Brian & Jeannie
2018.5 Seneca 37RB with to many mods to list
2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
Member
 
Randyeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Larkspur, CO
Posts: 49
How many watts to you have available now?
Randyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Rustynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyeng View Post
How many watts to you have available now?
It is a 3000 watt inverter/charger. It is a Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120.


https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...120V-US-EN.pdf
__________________
Brian & Jeannie
2018.5 Seneca 37RB with to many mods to list
2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Rustynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 2,569
Well AM Solar never started making the Smart Phase Selector I needed to get the whole coach on the inverter like I wanted. Victron had come out with the Multiplus II after I had started this project so I swapped out the Multiplus for the Multiplus II and will just sell the Multiplus which is great for a 30amp system. Now I have the whole coach with inverter power….so much nicer.
Attached Thumbnails
913FD138-7787-4CE0-BE5A-69DCB71807A7.jpg  
__________________
Brian & Jeannie
2018.5 Seneca 37RB with to many mods to list
2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Paris
Posts: 154
Nice looking upgrade Brian!

Check this solar upgrade out, if a person has no limit on the bank account.

https://youtu.be/CFg-ZfNS4n8
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Bay Shore
Posts: 28
Brian,

I am in the process of building my version of a victron solar / inverter system and I’m guessing you are powering one leg of the 50amp panel with the new Multiplus and the second leg only when on 50amp Shore power?
__________________
Chris
2021 Entegra Accolade 37TS
Cturrisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Rustynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cturrisi View Post
Brian,

I am in the process of building my version of a victron solar / inverter system and I’m guessing you are powering one leg of the 50amp panel with the new Multiplus and the second leg only when on 50amp Shore power?
With the Multiplus II which is a newly available Inverter/Charger it is a pass thru unit. Both L1 and L2 are powered by the inverter and it also acts as an uninterrupted power supply when the shore power is disconnected, it happens instantly. When you are plugged into shore power or generator, from the transfer switch power goes to the inverter and then from the inverter to the main panel and passes thru the inverter and charges your batteries. Here is a basic diagram showing how it’s wired.
Attached Thumbnails
B71182D5-4257-48D5-94C5-C6DC34499329.jpg  
__________________
Brian & Jeannie
2018.5 Seneca 37RB with to many mods to list
2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:23 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Paris
Posts: 154
Great video on the new Victron Multiplus II

https://youtu.be/auPht-mp0eU
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:29 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ackerman
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
With the Multiplus II which is a newly available Inverter/Charger it is a pass thru unit. Both L1 and L2 are powered by the inverter and it also acts as an uninterrupted power supply when the shore power is disconnected, it happens instantly. When you are plugged into shore power or generator, from the transfer switch power goes to the inverter and then from the inverter to the main panel and passes thru the inverter and charges your batteries. Here is a basic diagram showing how it’s wired.
Thanks Rusty, I have a couple questions. When you moved the transfer switch did you use Romex cable for the wiring. Also is Romex used on the output side of the MultiPlus II for the A/C circuits.

It's hard for me to tell, but is all of your equipment mounted on the front wall of the basement close to the batteries? Or back by the power cord reel?

Does the MultiPlus II now charge the batteries instead of the factory converter? If so I am guessing you needed to disable or possibly remove the original converter?

Thanks for the great info!
staineous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Rustynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by staineous View Post
Thanks Rusty, I have a couple questions. When you moved the transfer switch did you use Romex cable for the wiring. Also is Romex used on the output side of the MultiPlus II for the A/C circuits.

It's hard for me to tell, but is all of your equipment mounted on the front wall of the basement close to the batteries? Or back by the power cord reel?

Does the MultiPlus II now charge the batteries instead of the factory converter? If so I am guessing you needed to disable or possibly remove the original converter?

Thanks for the great info!
Every model will be a little different, ours is an RB. It was all a lot easier to do than to put it in writing…… I used the Romex that was already run through the coach by first mounting a junction box where the transfer switch was and tied the line to the main panel to the line coming from the generator. Then under the drawers on the drivers side, I replaced the junction where the generator romex tied into the lines from the generator. In this new junction box, I connected the lines from the generator to new 6/4 SOOW cord that runs to the compartment by the cord reel. Then in the same junction box, I connected the romex from the main panel to another 6/4 SOOW cord that also runs to the compartment by the cord reel and then along the floor in a cove wire molding up to the inverter. I then wired the transfer switch with the shore power cord, generator cord and a new 6/4 SOOW cord up the inverter.

All the equipment is mounted up in the front corner of the compartment right next to the battery compartment. The EMS and Transfer Switch is mounted on the compartment wall next to the wheel well.

The new Multiplus II also does the charging of the batteries, if in storage, you can set the inverter to charger only mode. The existing charger in the main panel is just disabled by removing the power wire from the breaker that controls it and the ground. I just left the charger in the panel for an emergency backup if needed.

It’s been working great and we love having inverter power to all outlets.

All my splice connections were made with these.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GDFQKU...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The 6/4 SOOW cord was run along the compartment floor in this raceway.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010BLIN0Q...ing=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
Brian & Jeannie
2018.5 Seneca 37RB with to many mods to list
2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:01 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ackerman
Posts: 25
I think I know the answer to this, but is there a safe way to connect the stock 2K Xantrex to power the main panel instead of the sub panel. I know the main panel powers the sub panel through the Xantrex when connected to shore/generator AC power. It would be nice to have inverter power available to the entire coach without having to replace the inverter with the Multiplex II as an interim solution, but I have not seen a solution for this. Does anyone know if this is possible?
staineous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Semix-Hex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Valley
Posts: 173
Well, I just started this project and I was very aware of the mess the wiring was going to be. I have had rv's before but this is a doozy.
The blue wire nut in the junction box was just sitting on the three wires, not even hand tight. It popped off when I moved the wire.
Attached Thumbnails
20211106_115615.jpg   20211106_115834.jpg   20211106_122756.jpg  
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Rustynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semix-Hex View Post
Well, I just started this project and I was very aware of the mess the wiring was going to be. I have had rv's before but this is a doozy.
The blue wire nut in the junction box was just sitting on the three wires, not even hand tight. It popped off when I moved the wire.
Wow that is a mess! A lot worse than mine was. I like to use the insulated wire connectors instead of wire nuts…they don’t belong on a vehicle. Here is a pic of under the bed the first time I opened it up.
Attached Thumbnails
9CC30AF1-F13D-4098-85B6-F3E4903D8168.jpg   D559A6EC-CDBD-4A1C-AD18-9379937F56EE.jpg  
__________________
Brian & Jeannie
2018.5 Seneca 37RB with to many mods to list
2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:52 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Semix-Hex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Valley
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Wow that is a mess! A lot worse than mine was. I like to use the insulated wire connectors instead of wire nuts…they don’t belong on a vehicle. Here is a pic of under the bed the first time I opened it up.
I've been tracking down some of the lines for a day now. There is probably an extra hundred feet of wire.

Some of the wire goes the wrong way on top and back under the rig. It makes no sense to me, the coaxial cables are fifteen feet too long.

I remodeled high end homes for a living and am more used to quality workmanship.

I'll be using those same connectors when I move some of this stuff.
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:16 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: COLUMBIA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Well AM Solar never started making the Smart Phase Selector I needed to get the whole coach on the inverter like I wanted. Victron had come out with the Multiplus II after I had started this project so I swapped out the Multiplus for the Multiplus II and will just sell the Multiplus which is great for a 30amp system. Now I have the whole coach with inverter power….so much nicer.
Is this the MultiPlus-II 2x 120V
3000VA?
Sorry in advance if I missed you saying this.
AlbeeFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Rustynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbeeFreedom View Post
Is this the MultiPlus-II 2x 120V
3000VA?
Sorry in advance if I missed you saying this.

Yes it is, here is the info.



https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...lus-ii-2x-120v
__________________
Brian & Jeannie
2018.5 Seneca 37RB with to many mods to list
2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:15 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Rustynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 2,569
Just finished building and installing 1120ah of Lifepo4 Lithium battery. I built four 280ah battery packs wired in parellel and connected up to the Multiplus II Inverter/Charger. It was a fun but tedious project……Can’t wait to put it to the test.
Attached Thumbnails
E3805B22-273E-496E-A714-DFE800AF6FEB.jpg   68F89DFF-D52C-41DA-B22F-D708A95DA818.jpg   BB40A654-E17B-483D-92D2-96C8D686563E.jpg   619FC5F2-CBC8-46A4-B339-B3B4F6755892.jpg   35E2FE04-6D16-4E7D-ACF3-5C04E9066794.jpg  

24C28AE0-8C9E-4BA4-9F79-DED1653CAFEF.jpg  
__________________
Brian & Jeannie
2018.5 Seneca 37RB with to many mods to list
2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.