Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #1

Seneca king to a queen conversion

We have a 2020 Seneca 37HJ. Has anyone traded out the king mattress for a queen to give a little more space on the sides? If so, any mods that had to be done? Was it worth doing? Thanks in advance for the replies.
Dchafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchafe View Post
We have a 2020 Seneca 37HJ. Has anyone traded out the king mattress for a queen to give a little more space on the sides? If so, any mods that had to be done? Was it worth doing? Thanks in advance for the replies.
I did shrink my 2014 TS bed. I removed the paneling from the base and disassembled it carefully. Lots of staples! Then I cut down the foot end width and reassembled the base. Of course I also cut down the platform itself to 60".

I really do appreciate the extra room on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed reduction composite.jpg   RV Superbag.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #3

Wow Rob that looks great! Thanks for the pics.
Dchafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #4

I did the same thing as Robbbyr on our 2016 HJ. I also did some reinforcement of the platform with 2x4 running side to side to keep the platform from sagging in the middle. The extra space on the sides is very nice AND I was able to use a regular sized queen mattress.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #5

Plan on doing the same thing to our 2018.5 SR2. It’s also a 37HJ model. Due to 2 bedroom slides is there an issue in moving the “sides” of the bed in to accommodate 60 inches vs. 76 inches?
Martigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #6

I modified both the base that the bed platform slides on and I modified the platform, making both of them more narrow to accommodate 60" vs 76". On my 2016 HJ, the platform houses all the circuit breakers, so I had to be selective in where I cut down on width. I was able to do it keeping the rounded corners, just as shown in Robbbyr's pictures. You'll also need to adjust the 2x2s on the bed platform so they slide in the proper position on the revised platform.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #7

We replaced our king with a Tulo queen, but didn't modify the platform. Just doing the mattress switch gave us the room we were looking for. Not motivated enough to re-construct the platform yet.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #8

X3 Robbyr the extra 6 inches gained on each side made it worth it. And if a new owner wants a king one sheet of plywood is all they need. I have a 2017 rb and I found on the bed frame one side was glued on and one side stapled. I believe the outside is stapled on. Removing that cover exposed the screws holding the frame to the floor.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote