Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
MD3

Seneca - outside tv

Should my interior DVD player that runs through the diverter box also play the DVD on the outside tv ?? It works on all the other rv's.

It would appear like it should but both my hdmi 1 & 2 are saying nothing connected on the tv screen. I've tried everything I can think of and all other tv's work fine.

Also, how do I remove/unmount the tv on the outside ?
It seems pretty solidly secured to the outside wall (which is a good thing), but I would like to pull it to make sure all the connections are connected good on the back of the tv.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

I have all sorts of cables behind my outside TV. If yours is like mine, you will have to remove the panel that the TV is connected to.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 AM   #3

Working from memory, the outside TV is held in with 4 screws to the metal frame visible when the TV outside cover is open. I'm also thinking that the outside TV is connected the the radio/DVR system that is also in the same outside compartment.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
MD3

I see 6 bolts (3 on each side) that looks like it is holding a metal bracket to the back of the compartment. These must be what is holding the tv in there.

The switch control box inside the coach has settings for "exterior tv". I am guessing this is what controls what signal is sent to the exterior tv (DVD, satellite, etc...). I can't get any signal to the tv through the box so hoping it is just a loose plug back behind the tv.

-
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 10-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #5

Whoa whoa whoa....before you start taking things apart. There should be a box just above the DVD player. Its an HDMI splitter box. That box has 4 buttons (it can control 4 tv's but only three are connected). The first group is the main living room tv, the second one is the bedroom tv and the third is the outside tv. The forth is not connected. Now on each tv section you will see 4 leds. Those are the input selections for that tv. The first LED is for the DVD player. 2-4 are not connected to any inputs, but you can use them to connected additional devices at a later time like a satellite receiver, game console, etc. You need to make sure that the outside tv's LED is selected to the first one. If the DVD player is on and outputting a signal, the LED will go orange. If the selected input has no signal it will be green. More than likely, someone just changed the input on the outside tv on the hdmi splitter. Note that the TV's all just have one HDMI input going to them from that splitter. That splitter allows the TV's to just use one input but allow multiple devices to go down that one signal. Due to such, you should never have to change inputs on the TV's besides going between over the air tv to the hdmi input.

EDIT: Just saw post number 4 pop up. Looks like you know about the HDMI splitter. However DO make sure that the LED DOES change color when you select the right input.
Also on the bedroom tv and outside tv, they use HDMI baluns to send the signal down a CAT5 cable instead of using a bulkier hdmi cable and get better signal over long distances. Make sure those cables are secured as well.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #6

I would suggest getting the wiring diagram from Jayco for your year and model. There have been lots of changes over the years to this setup.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #7

RyRoRan is dead on. The TV splitter box in the overhead cab controls all three outputs to your TV's. Make sure the four green lights are lit then with the remote that came with you Seneca select each number until you see an amber light and that tell you that each one of those TVs is selected.
Whatever is selected on the main TV will be played in the bedroom and outside unless they have change something in 2018.
Rick-in-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
MD3

Splitter is working fine. All other tv's work fine through the splitter. Everything else works at it should. Tried swapping outputs on the splitter to ensure splitter was not the problem. Splitter isn't the problem and signal is being sent out correctly by the splitter.
Problem is : outside tv is saying no signal on the hdmi line.
I can see where the hdmi plugs into the outside tv but I can't see where the other end of that hdmi cable. My thinking is I need to pull the outside tv to see where it plugs in..... just wasn't sure about how to pull that outside tv off the wall.

-
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 10-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
.... My thinking is I need to pull the outside tv to see where it plugs in..... just wasn't sure about how to pull that outside tv off the wall.

-
Make sure you have a helper... Once you pull the screws on the back panel... you will need help in documenting what cables go where - and get the power cord unplugged. Definitely a two-adult job, with a step stool.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #10

For me, I was able to access a good amount of the wiring by going through the cabinet under the kitchen sink. There is a panel at the outboard of the sink cabinet but it does not go all the way up, so you can get your hands in there somewhat. I had a problem with the radio and used my phone camera to get down in there to see what was going on with the wiring before I pulled everything out. Also if it is easier, you can also use the radio tools that should have come with the rv and pull the radio out pretty easily. This will get you access to the rear wiring without having to take the TV off the wall.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #11

If your TV enclosure is like my 2017 FS, there is a metal access panel that you can remove without taking the tv off its mount. The access panel allows you to look in and you should see the HDMI balun RyRoRyan mentioned. The baluns input is the Cat 6 cable from your HDMI switch in the main cabin. The output is the HDMI cable to the exterior tv. Mine had the HDMI cable taped to the balun to keep it from coming out of its socket. Perhaps this is your problem. It would be the first thing I would check.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #12

Taking the TV off was not a big deal on my FS. It took about 10 minutes to take it off and another 15 to put it back on. Did both with no help so if you have an extra set of hands it will go much quicker. Also found a lot of dead space which I insulated:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-tv-47971.html
Kar Kaddy SS
Old 10-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #13
MD3

I didn't realize the tv was on an articulating arm....
The access panel across the bottom allowed easy access to the plugs.
The problem was no power to the converter from Cat cable to hdmi. The wall panel coverter plug was only half way plugged in. One blade of the plug was in the outlet and the other was along side of the outlet. Super easy fix and probably save a day in the shop for a warranty repair.

-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1589.jpg   IMG_1590.jpg  
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 10-22-2017, 06:46 AM   #14

Wow! An articulated arm! I had to go out and pull on mine just to see if it was something I've missed.

Nope, darn it. That is a great option.

Glad you got it all resolved. Simple fixes work best.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
I didn't realize the tv was on an articulating arm....
The access panel across the bottom allowed easy access to the plugs.
The problem was no power to the converter from Cat cable to hdmi. The wall panel coverter plug was only half way plugged in. One blade of the plug was in the outlet and the other was along side of the outlet. Super easy fix and probably save a day in the shop for a warranty repair.

-
Tap on that access panel and if yours is like mine it makes a lot of noise even after it is screwed down. I just used some Gorilla tape underneath where it has any metal-to-metal contact and around the outside perimeter. Took care of all the rattles.
Kar Kaddy SS
Old 10-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #16

2016 FS mine doesn't articulate either! I think I might install one, always trying to position the unit to alighn with the parking pad, tv and chairs.
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1mc View Post
2016 FS mine doesn't articulate either! I think I might install one, always trying to position the unit to alighn with the parking pad, tv and chairs.
It can be added! Here is an album of my conversion where I added an articulating arm that also tilts down to provide a better viewing angle. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1061.html I fabricated an adapter bracket that mounts to the original TV mounting plate holes and then the new articulating mount bolts to the bracket.

I also changed out the original 32" TV to a 39" Vizio Smart TV and added a 12-volt Blu-ray player since almost all of our discs are Blu-ray these days.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote